Motorway Cruising, what car to buy?

Currently reading:
Motorway Cruising, what car to buy?

After a quick look with not as big as a passat, reasonable acceleration, good economy and a few gadgets as a guide the punto diesel and the stilo diesel make good choices add reliability and these beat the alfas, not sure why as they are basically the same engine. And we know you love your fiats. Option 2 use your renault as a deposit or sell and do the same and buy a new fiat or Dacia and the saving on the fuel and maintainance will pay for itself. Can't believe I'm saying this but you could own 2 nice pandas and the I sides are modern and quirky

Last edited:
There are no xantias left because the hydraulics require maintenance and it's expensive to get done. I had a BX (ugly car don't buy it) and I'm not mechanical in any sense of the word and fixed my own, it's really not that hard it's just replacing bits. If it wasn't for the ugly interiors I'd own a Xantia now. There are still a large amount of Rovers fully functional and in perfect condition happily running about all over the world. True they went through a stage of poor manufacturing for a while due to cost and damn unions but then so did Jaguar, land rover and even rolls and Bentley at the time. It's testament to them that there are still so many up for sale in any form, the fact that people still buy them even broken might mean that if you do a bit a basic decent repair they are still a good car. Every car has it faults, recalls and issues it's what makes them cheaper as a second hand car option. I was also talking about a pre s or x series as I don't want a ford in a jag guise but then are the not all owned by the Indians, Chinese or Russians anyway lol

Owned Rover sd1 vitesse/vandenplas...827 v6...200 diesel....200 vti and they were all nice to drive but you just knew that potential bankruptcy was right around the corner, the Sd1 was simple and easy to fix but the later ones were very complex cars.

I have to say I found my Jaguar S Type diesel great for cruising long distances, I felt fine after driving from Sussex to Scotland in it.

Yes it;s a big car, but the 2.7 twin turbo propels it a treat (y)

However if you get one look for the exhausts pointing down, not coming straight out as then you will get one without the dreaded DPF valves.

Trev

Fiat Panda classic. Most of the motorway network is a fifty zone with more speed cameras than fat people in Doncaster. If you get a seventy stretch a facelift mkII with a five speed box will handle it with ease.

If you want to annoy someone in the Audi lane most mkII Pandas can do 95-100mph. ;)

Owned Rover sd1 vitesse/vandenplas...827 v6...200 diesel....200 vti and they were all nice to drive but you just knew that potential bankruptcy was right around the corner, the Sd1 was simple and easy to fix but the later ones were very complex cars.

See, what do you know :worship:

Another thing about the Panda if you get a very late model with fuel injection you can fit an LPG kit with the tank under the boot floor. ;)

Fiat Panda classic. Most of the motorway network is a fifty zone with more speed cameras than fat people in Doncaster. If you get a seventy stretch a facelift mkII with a five speed box will handle it with ease.

If you want to annoy someone in the Audi lane most mkII Pandas can do 95-100mph. ;)
Well I'm completely set then!
I have a mk2 Panda, with 5 speeds! Doesn't quite have the smooth suspension and quiet wind and road noise that I'm after though :rolleyes:

Anyway in response to the many, not crazy on Vauxhall if I'm honest... No real reason,
a Jag would be lovely and all but insurance is bound to be out of my reach and I'm not after superb comfort, just a quiet nice place to sit.
I'm leaning toward Alfa 156's, don't really want anything bigger than that. I've seen quite a few 147's and am tempted too, I'm sure being smaller they won't be as great for cruising but for my budget I can get reasonable mileage and quite a high spec... Still not really hitting my 45MPG desire though :bang:

How about a SAAB 9/5 TiD?

All the refinements of a high (a-hem) spec' Vauxhall with the reliability of the GM/Alfa engine. Also SAAB drivers tend to be more discerning, the cars are better built, don't look like styling was an afterthought and have as much road presence as the BMW/Audi lot without people thinking you're looking for the end of your bell.
Motorway crusiness from Scandinavia? I would also consider a Volvo D4 or D5 V40, S40 or even the older (and a lot cheaper) 850 TD.

Plenty of ex-Police ones about for very reasonable prices. If you don't want to risk buying an ex-Police car have a look for a one pensioner owner from new tow bar spec' car with an IAM tax disc holder.

You're right to avoid Vauxhall.

A 1.6 diesel Fiesta in Titanium spec would fit the bill nicely. Very comfy car with cruise control and other features. Getting one (even a 2008) for under 2.5k might be difficult though.

Renault Megan might do the job if you can find one without electrical issues.
The Fiesta handles well but is incredibly drab inside and the engine is pretty agricultural. The one we had at work struggled to top 42 mpg average in allround
driving which is way off what my Panda MJ returns. And yes, I know we aren't quite comparing like with like.

I didn't know Renault made a Welsh car. (y)

Well I'm completely set then!
I have a mk2 Panda, with 5 speeds! Doesn't quite have the smooth suspension and quiet wind and road noise that I'm after though :rolleyes:

Anyway in response to the many, not crazy on Vauxhall if I'm honest... No real reason,
a Jag would be lovely and all but insurance is bound to be out of my reach and I'm not after superb comfort, just a quiet nice place to sit.
I'm leaning toward Alfa 156's, don't really want anything bigger than that. I've seen quite a few 147's and am tempted too, I'm sure being smaller they won't be as great for cruising but for my budget I can get reasonable mileage and quite a high spec... Still not really hitting my 45MPG desire though :bang:

Get an old jag as a classic but mpg will be ****e

Renault Megane 105/110hp with cruise control, with your budget you should be able to find a 2007 model, or later, but don't buy pre-facelift models.
6 speed manual box and enough torque to get you fully loaded up most hills without changing down.
I just sold a 7 year old model that apart from an A/C problem in the first couple of months never gave me a single problem and also have 2 Meganes on the fleet that I run, both multi-driver pool cars and both faultless.

Pick up a cheap MkII Panda and drop the 1.2 Multijet engine in there. ;)

My Doblo use to average 70mpg and over 1,500 miles between fill ups.

Daihatsu YRV turbo or non turbo. Pretty much a toyota, great 1.3 engine it will happily sit at 70 miles and get 45 mpg.

Also 5 doors an car is spacious, and will have change from your 2.5k budget.

Ming

I fancy one of those but they look a bit dull, but then they are quite fast and they do a 4 wheel drive version. How about a kei car, they are a little unusual in the UK

Not trying to be pedantic here......alright, I am trying to be pedantic here, but the SD1 predated the V6 era. They were (later) to include 2 litre 4, 2.3 & 2.6 litre in-line 6s and the Buick/Olds V8

Save £2,000 and buy my Punto. Great fun on any road, capable on the motorway and if traffic or road works build up you can take the "B" roads instead. ;)

Back