Now heres the problem I am still having

Starts OK, but sound like a diesel

Engine sometime comes to a halt if no revs

Lots of white smoke from exhaust

Generally not sounding like it used to

My Ideas

Water pump and themostat need changing

Oil/filter change

Really need some help to get this back on the road and not sounding like a tractor........would appreciate any help and advice you can all give.

Cheers Phil :bang:

Sounds like the Hg is blowing, did you use new bolts and torque the head down in the right sequence and stages?

New bolts used and torqued correctly. Hope it is not that think i might in and find nearest bridge !!! Seems to be getting to bubbling point at radiator quickly, could this point to therm or water pump ? Cheers again

New bolts used and torqued correctly. Hope it is not that think i might in and find nearest bridge !!! Seems to be getting to bubbling point at radiator quickly, could this point to therm or water pump ? Cheers again

Take the thermostat out and chuck it in a cup of boiling water from the kettle and see if it opens. Or just run it up and check if the top of the radiator if its getting hot then its not ya thermostat

just did abit more investigating......took plugs out to see condition and plug number 1 was badly caked with oil, the rest were not bad looking.

Any more ideas

someone has just said they think the head is cracked. What do you think the likelyhood is ?

does your fan work

I would say a cracked head is unlikely from a basic head gasket failure was there obvious corrosion damage on the head when you took it off

if the engine has been hot enough to melt the manifold witch I have seen before you may have some very brittle valve bed seals pissing oil into the chamber

i would double check the cam belt trimming as you mension diesel like running

and then check the compression

double check your timing marks, then check them again!

sure you put the headgasket on the right way round? tis a very common mistake and it would block up some oil/water gantries causing massive heat buildups in certain areas of the top of the engine = immenent dead engine, don't run it.

could be damaged valves, as pip says, hot enough to melt the inlet manifold = hot enough to seriously harden the valves/seats (n)

Thanks for your comments once again guys, I was just searching for a new cyl head, but your comments have stopped me rushing in and will try a few more things first.

No obvious corrosion areas on head or block when removed.

Gasket fitted correct way up, with letters ALTO facing up.

Everyone is pointing to the fact that white smoke from exhaust has to be a cracked head, are they just guessing or could it be caused by anything else??

Would the white smoke from exhaust be caused from oil leaking into chamber??

Have taken therm out because the rad was not getting hot, and this has cured that problem, could this have caused all of the problems??

Just changed plugs, because of the oiled up one, which has made it tick over better but still smoking, if only I could stop this I think it would be sorted. How hard to change the valve stem seals??

Cheers again guys, thank you all for taing some time to help.

Phil

White smoke is water, blue is oil. Bit of a stab in the dark but is there a load of water in your exhaust hence the steam?

Before spending any more on it i'd get a sniff test done that will tell you if the hg is leaking.

Cheers DanGil.

I have just found a complete head including cam for 60 quid out of a 2002 Punto. (He said the engine hadnt over heated, hope he was telling the truth!!) I paid for it before reading your last message!! I know I will need to get a new gasket and bolt set, but I run a motor spares store so get parts at cost, so not too bad. (my speciality it audio, alarms etc, not as hot on engines)

The engine is just not sounding good, abit tappy, but I have been told this is normal. I will see if replacment head sorts it out. If it does it would have cost around 170, which I dont think is too bad considering what a garage would have charged.

Fingers crossed, will let you all know how I get on.

Skimmed last time.....I assumed they would have pressure tested it at the same time.......my mistake foe assuming!!!!

double check your timing marks, then check them again!

sure you put the headgasket on the right way round? tis a very common mistake and it would block up some oil/water gantries causing massive heat buildups in certain areas of the top of the engine = immenent dead engine, don't run it.

could be damaged valves, as pip says, hot enough to melt the inlet manifold = hot enough to seriously harden the valves/seats (n)

no valve bed oil seals not the valves them selves they are tuff as nails

there are little tricks you can use to change valve bed oil seals without taking the head off but you will need some special tools

i have a spark plug drilled out and fitted with an air line end that I can use to keep the valves shut wile using fiats valve compressor tool

150 pounds per square inch means i would have to push the valve with much more than my own body weight to open it so it works out great

but best to have the cylinder your working on at top dead in case your air line goes off

Skimmed last time.....I assumed they would have pressure tested it at the same time.......my mistake foe assuming!!!!

i'm afraid not you get what you ask for if you don't ask for pressure testing you don't get

Last edited:
i always leave cam in but take plugs out

the machining shop i use obviously found a way to mount it with cam in

it cant be that hard surely

just leave it in and see what they say

taking it out means you need some 0 gap sealer to reseal end caps to head

Back