Technical More Help Need Please.... HG Changed

Currently reading:
Technical More Help Need Please.... HG Changed

The last one I took down with cam in they charged me an extra 30 quid to take cam out and put back in....just trying to save a few quid

they probs took it out cos they were scared of touching open valves

even though there lower than the point of machining

they only have to mount the head on the flat area were the rocker cover sits
cant see any reason to remove it

if the cam shaft is removed it will cause oil leaks if not put back with 0 gap sealer in the right place

Just removed head again to get ready for the replacement, there is oil in the exhaust manifold next to chamber 1 and 2. Also piston 2 is pitted around edge. If they caused a leak by removing camshaft and not fitting back correctly would this be where I would see the leak?? Where would the leak be from to get into exhaust manifold??

Feels like I am fighting a losing battle at the moment. :bang:

if the cam shaft is remove and replace without 0 gap sealer it would simply cause a serious external leak that would run down either end of the engine

the oil you're engine is burning is most likely coming from the valve bed oil seals

how ether you mention some pitting on the piston you may have a damaged compression ring on that cylinder now that would defiantly cause allot of oil in that cylinder

you should have done a compression test before you took the head off again

is there any visible vertical scoring on the cylinder wall

buy the way you don't need buy new head bolts every time you take them out that's a myth you just need to run your finger down them and check for thinning
if they are not thin anywhere they are ok to use if they are you need new

if there going to stretch they do it in style and leave an obvious thin bit near the bottom

Last edited:
How easy a job is it to change a piston ring....not that clear in haynes manual

Thanks for your continued advice littlepip

much appreciated

well that is if there is any damage to them you will need to take off the sump to remove pistons then you will need piston ring tools and piston ring compressors
you will also buy this point need a new sump unless yours is not to bad on rust
and also the big end bolts have a torque angle as the head bolts do so this would have to be followed inorder to do the job

if the bore is scored you will need a cylinder honing tool and an eleky drill for it

normally when piston rings break or become damaged they damage the piston also

but if the damage is to great you may need the block machining and oversized pistons installed

at this point you really need an experienced mechanic to inspect your engine and check for scoring

any chance you can send us some pictures of the insides of all 4 bores and some of the damaged piston aswell
turn the engine over buy hand so we can see all four

Back