Mobile contract dispute!

Currently reading:
Mobile contract dispute!

the mk1 kid

Hi guys,

Firstly, could i ask how you would interpret this:

12 Months with 30 days notice thereafter

Please dont second guess the problem, but answer as you see it - obviously its not black and white otherwise i wouldn't of created this thread, so please be honest, not clever.

Many thanks

Tom

Hi guys,

Firstly, could i ask how you would interpret this:

12 Months with 30 days notice thereafter

Please dont second guess the problem, but answer as you see it - obviously its not black and white otherwise i wouldn't of created this thread, so please be honest, not clever.

Many thanks

Tom

To me, that looks like 13 months :confused:

But Every contract I have ever been in, you can give your thirty days notice in the last month of your contract.

Not three by any chance is it?

To me it says 'After 12 months, you can give your 30 day notice to cancell'.

As mehstg said, is it 3? Heard lots about them, and step dad has had a problem with them as well.

To me it says 'After 12 months, you can give your 30 day notice to cancell'.

As mehstg said, is it 3? Heard lots about them, and step dad has had a problem with them as well.

I would rather have my d*ck cut off and fed to me than take another contract out with Three. I had a year with basically no phone. lol! Ofcom were about as useful as herpes.

Hi guys,

Its not '3', but a reseller - Ofcom can only help when its a network issue, and i've spoken with Consumer Direct who have passed this to Trading Standards. Nothing will happen that will help us short-term unless we take them to court -its a civil matter.

It is a minimum of 12 months, but if you give 30 days notice on the eleventh, like we did you can leave on the 12th but you still have to pay for 13, so in essence its a 13month contract.

There is nothing in their terms that states you cannot give your 30 days notice on the 11th month though, which is my gripe!

To me it reads like all other 12 month contracts (albeit with a little room for ambiguity) - its 12months, and then you're on a rolling 30 day/month contract.

And who is this bunch of scammers (this is far from the first swerve ball they've thrown us) Intercity Mobile Communications Ltd.

Yes, like a lot of these things there is nothing stopping you giving notice on even the 4th month for example, but you'd still need to pay for the 12mths and 30 days as stated in your contract. People do it with home telephone services all the time when they switch provider, made easier because in a lot of cases they don't normally need to contact the existing provider to make the switch due to CPS/WLR. When I was working for Tesco Home Phone a lot of people left their 18mth contracts early and queried the termination fee. They should have been glad it was only £40 and not the £150+ that BT charge tbh!

Hi,

It is ambiguous though, and there is nothing to say you have to give notice after the 12 months is up. If it is effectively a 13month contract why not call it one, and state separately after the contract has expired you are on a rolling 30 days contract which requires 30 days notice.

How can they call it a minimum of 12, when its clearly not - thats misleading at best - no?

T&C's should be clear, and have no room for interpretation IMO.

Cheers

Tom

I disagree with almost all of you!
To me it says that you have a 12 month contract. After that point it can be cancelled with 30 days notice.
It doesn't say that you can't give notice at any point, but why should it? A contract is to tell you what you're bound by, not all the things you can and cannot do.

I'm gonna bet this is Carphone Warehouse... They are the worst high street company in existence. As far as I know, they are also the only company that administers contracts on behalf of some networks (O2 being the one I had issues with). I had this very problem and them stating contract law is exactly what gets you out of this problem. The term you have quoted simply means that you are tied into a 12m contract, but if you go beyond this, you have to give 30 days notice. So if you leave it running 2 years, you give an additional 30 days notice to terminate.

Quote the correct interpretation, they have to end the contract. Show them their deals advertising 12 months and point out that if they aren't terming their contracts ambiguously, then they are carrying out false advertising.

If what they are advertising is a 12 month contract, it is exactly that. Terminate on the date that means you do 12 months to the day and then leave. As has been said before - 11 months with a further month's notice = 12 month contract.

Just don't get me started on the numerous issues I have had with CPW. Never had a single contract/product from them that has gone smoothly - and that's a lot!

As Garree001 said it means that you are tied to 12 moinths but after that it turns into a 30 rolling contract, which to cancel you have to give 30 days notice to cancel. You can give your 30 days notice in your 11th month but they may charge you for your pac code as you can port out in 48 hours, therefore terminating you contract early.

Back