Mk2 HGT vs 106 GTi/Saxo VTS

Currently reading:
Mk2 HGT vs 106 GTi/Saxo VTS

Do you not think that your 'downgrading' a bit by buying either of those?

i dont mean performance wise but in terms of living with the car, driving a car with tacky trim everyday, knowing that you had such a better looking car before hand (especially with the mods ;) ), and that you probably wont get as much respect from people on the road imo because people will think its just another chav in a saxo / 106, because they probably dont know the difference between a standard one and a GTi... not much space either!

It will be more fun to drive though, and a lot faster, can't deny that at all! It is your decision, but if i was you, and i had your car (and its obvious the amount of time and effort you've put into it) then i'd consider keeping yours for a bit longer, and saving for the newer generation of hot hatch!

Do you not think that your 'downgrading' a bit by buying either of those?

i dont mean performance wise but in terms of living with the car, driving a car with tacky trim everyday, knowing that you had such a better looking car before hand (especially with the mods ;) ), and that you probably wont get as much respect from people on the road imo because people will think its just another chav in a saxo / 106, because they probably dont know the difference between a standard one and a GTi... not much space either!

It will be more fun to drive though, and a lot faster, can't deny that at all! It is your decision, but if i was you, and i had your car (and its obvious the amount of time and effort you've put into it) then i'd consider keeping yours for a bit longer, and saving for the newer generation of hot hatch!

B*llocks

mk2 puntos with black wheels and an exhaust are perceived to be just as chavvy to the average joe walking down the street as a saxo or a 106 is.

The 106 gti will get more respect from the kind of people that know something about cars, if it was all about impressing people who know nothing in the street then he would buy a beemer with starship miles on it for a cheap price.

I'd take the 106 gti over a mk2 sporting any day, just for the daily smiles and fun. Don't get me wrong his mk2 is nice, but I regard performance in a higher category. A 106 woth the right mods (which i know tom will do) will look just as nice.

The 106 gti will get more respect from the kind of people that know something about cars, if it was all about impressing people who know nothing in the street then he would buy a beemer with starship miles on it for a cheap price.

Everyday people wouldn't. I'm simply trying to give an opinion of what other people may think, as well as what i think. I know they are cracking cars, but everyone in this thread has been bigging them up so i was merely trying to give him some feedback on what other people may think.

And beemers suck (n)

I can see where you are coming from, I have spent a lot on this car but I'm getting to the point where I'm not enjoying driving it as much as I used to. As for saving for the next generation of hot hatch, the only way I could afford one would be to get one on finance and it would never really be my car, I wouldn't be able to make it my own.
OK, it maybe a backwards step in terms of the cars I'm looking at being older and having higher mileage than mine, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem as I only do around 6k a year.
Not really too fussed about the interior, I see half leather as a step up from my current cloth seats! And the dash maybe a lil bit tacky compared to the Punto but I bet its 100x more fun to drive!
As for the exterior, I plan to leave it pretty much standard. Get it slammed on coilies with standard wheels, possibly powder coated, with a subtle exhaust and leave it at that I think!

you've got to be kidding, whenever i see a saxo or 106 on the road that looks sporty or modded i straight away think chav or boy racer. At least the Punto has more road presence and looks as if it can hold its own a bit more!

people who know about cars know a 106gti is a decent performer and a GP isn't.
people who think they know about cars will prefer the pug badge to the fiat badge.
people who dont know about cars dont see a punto or a 106, all they see are different colours.

which people have i missed? :confused:

people who know about cars know a 106gti is a decent performer and a GP isn't.
people who think they know about cars will prefer the pug badge to the fiat badge.
people who dont know about cars dont see a punto or a 106, all they see are different colours.

which people have i missed? :confused:

People who know about cars buy the turbo and not the 2.2

People who know about cars buy the turbo and not the 2.2

oh the irony! thats not true. the 2.2 is all alloy so its lighter and much better balanced. boyracers buy the turbo, girls buy the 1.8, men buy the 2.2. i overtake boyracers round bends, they overtake me on the straights, the girls go shopping. its a system that works.

Last edited:
Back