Mk2 HGT vs 106 GTi/Saxo VTS

Currently reading:
Mk2 HGT vs 106 GTi/Saxo VTS

Thewitt

RS Clio 172 Cup Owner :D
Right, Im considering selling my sporting and getting something quicker! Ideally I would like an ek9 CTR but cant afford to buy or insure one at the moment so I have been looking at cheaper alternatives.
Have been looking at 106 GTi's and Saxo VTS's and also considering HGTs as i can get a decent one for around the same money I think i can sell my sporting for.
How does the HGT stack up against the 106 gti/Saxo VTS?

Right, Im considering selling my sporting and getting something quicker! Ideally I would like an ek9 CTR but cant afford to buy or insure one at the moment so I have been looking at cheaper alternatives.
Have been looking at 106 GTi's and Saxo VTS's and also considering HGTs as i can get a decent one for around the same money I think i can sell my sporting for.
How does the HGT stack up against the 106 gti/Saxo VTS?

Not very well tbh. Not on the handling front anyway heavier car with a heavy engine and not much more power.

HGT

BHP 130.0
Torque (lbs feet)116.5
RPM to which the Torque refers 4300
Maximum Speed127
Acceleration (0-60)8.6

VTS

Fuel Delivery Injection
BHP 120.0
Torque (lbs feet)107.0
RPM to which the Torque refers 5200
Maximum Speed127
Acceleration (0-60)7.8

GTI

Fuel Delivery Injection
BHP 120.0
Torque (lbs feet)108.5
RPM to which the Torque refers 5200
Maximum Speed128
Acceleration (0-60)8.7

Last edited:
HGT

BHP 130.0
Torque (lbs feet)116.5
RPM to which the Torque refers4300
Maximum Speed127
Acceleration (0-60)8.6

VTS

Fuel Delivery Injection
BHP120.0
Torque (lbs feet)107.0
RPM to which the Torque refers5200
Maximum Speed127
Acceleration (0-60)7.8

GTI

Fuel Delivery Injection
BHP120.0
Torque (lbs feet)108.5
RPM to which the Torque refers5200
Maximum Speed128
Acceleration (0-60)8.7

Who cares about straight line speed?. That doesn't indicate handling which im sure the 106GTI would beat the HGT and probably the paxo too.

Last edited:
Yep as above the GTI would eat an HGT alive on anything twisty..

Although an HGT would be a more relaxed *cruiser*

VTS can be had for reasonable money and quite a few unmolested ones about due to high insurance compared to the VTS..

Personally I prefer the 106's..

Well I dont really do that many miles so not too bothered about it being a "cruiser"
Im just after something which looks good and goes a bit quicker than my sporting!
I prefer the looks of the HGT over both the Saxo & 106 but want something a little different, would be too easy to buy a HGT & swap over my front bumper & alloys and wouldnt really be a different car then!
And I prefer the 106 to the Saxo also but the Saxo is that bit cheaper...

out of them, the HGT is by far the best looking...

the saxo and 106 are basically the same car, but the saxo would be quicker. However the interior in both of them is awful, and they feel very small. Both lots of fun to drive though...

the 106 and the vts are the same car just different badges pugs have a better name than the ****ren do
if you look at them they have the same doors same chassis and suspension same engine but i do belive the saxo is a little lighter which is y its faster off the line

People keep saying the Saxo is faster but from what I remember the 106 will outrun it due to slightly more development before it's release.

Both the 106 GTi and Saxo VTS will without a doubt destroy the HGT in every aspect on the road, they're quicker, they handle better and they deliver far more driver feedback than the Punto every will. Sorry guys but I've experienced the HGT and the GTi and I know which one I would rather have (and I'll give you a clue, it's French :D )

The HGT was unfortunately a bit of a mistake on Fiat's part, they would have been better to turbo the Sporting engine than dropping the 1.8 16v in because it was never a competative engine for the market.

So now you've ruled the HGT out you need to decide between the 106 and the Saxo. I would personally pick the 106 every time as it carries with it an aire of motorsport herratige and is slightly less likely to have been chav abused (due to the slightly higher market value). That being said, the Saxo is easier to buy into with lower mileage newer models going for similar prices as higher mileage and older 106's (GTi's from around 97 with over 100k on the clock still demand £1k upwards unless they've got problems).

The 106 is the better looker in my opinion (not much in it I know but the front end is a little bit meaner to my eye) also if I remember correctly the 106 has the more fettled suspension setup from the factory.

Both cars have plenty of scope for aftermarket products (and I'm not talking about Lexarse lights :mad: )

The engines are pretty bullet proof and the boxes are top notch giving sharp and precise shifts time and time again.

Electrical niggles and cheap trim aren't the best but the thrill of driving it will make you forget all about these flaws and keep you finding reasons to drive anywhere and everywhere.

Hope that helps mate

Last edited:
You wouldnt have to but there is the possibility that they might see you :eek: 106 on the other hand still demands respect from motorsport enthusiasts who know their stuff (y)

you after a new car altogether or jsut more power basically?

Im after something quicker, if I could make mine quicker and still keep the reliability without spending a fortune on it I would keep it but as it is, I can get something of around the same age, for the same amount of cash and not too much more to insure.

106 be too small for you get 206 already lots of gsr stuff available for them

106 is plenty big enough! Peter can then develop stuff for the 106 too (y)

how much will you be looking at spending? :confused::)

Around the £3k mark

Hope that helps mate

Certainly has mate (y)

Back