Mk2 HGT vs 106 GTi/Saxo VTS

Currently reading:
Mk2 HGT vs 106 GTi/Saxo VTS

having owned a gti and drove a hgt i can say the 106 is a far superior car to the hgt bar the trim, engines are pretty much bulletproof as has been said, ride is firm without commedy bodyroll and theyre more economical than a hgt, 106owners.co.uk is a great place if your on the look out for one.

Gaz

of the bunch i would be jumping at the 106GTI.

as previously said the Punto HGT is just a bit too 'soft', if you'd ment a real HGT (bravo) then i would be pretty torn between.

the Saxo is too common and too....too....well, just...chavvy, everytime i see one the first thing i think is 'chav'

the 106GTI is a really nice little car and as said respected by motorsport enthusiasts, i sure as hell would like one for a track car!

still, whichever you choose i hope you enjoy it :)

Ry

i'd choose a mk1 VTS. its the best looking (mk2 is for girls) and best performing car out of the bunch, and also the easiest to buy thanks to plenty of choice.

i'd choose a mk1 VTS. its the best looking (mk2 is for girls) and best performing car out of the bunch, and also the easiest to buy thanks to plenty of choice.

Yeah, mk1 vts do look decent, but prefer the look of the mk2 gti :D
Saxo does scram chav though, hopefully goin to look at some gtis in the next few weeks, found a few nice yellow ones but really want a red one (y)

really want a red one (y)

Cherry or Diablo? Ah hell it doesnt matter, both look gorgeous :yum:

What about a Bianca White 106 Rallye (S1 or S2, both are really cracking cars)

Not as fast as the VTS/GTi but superb track day terrorists :slayer:

Only problem you might have with them is that they're very low trim spec to save weight:
- No power steering
- No electric windows/mirrors
- No central locking
- Limited sound deadening

Also prices hold quite high because they're a bit rare these days :(

I've only driven Rallye's very briefly and timidley but experienced them from the passanger seat on some spirited drives (Ghost's old S2 Rallye and Whiley's new S1 Rallye) and I would own one in a heart beat if I had the space/spare cash for a second car.

Cherry or Diablo? Ah hell it doesnt matter, both look gorgeous :yum:

What about a Bianca White 106 Rallye (S1 or S2, both are really cracking cars)

Not as fast as the VTS/GTi but superb track day terrorists :slayer:

Only problem you might have with them is that they're very low trim spec to save weight:
- No power steering
- No electric windows/mirrors
- No central locking
- Limited sound deadening

Also prices hold quite high because they're a bit rare these days :(

I've only driven Rallye's very briefly and timidley but experienced them from the passanger seat on some spirited drives (Ghost's old S2 Rallye and Whiley's new S1 Rallye) and I would own one in a heart beat if I had the space/spare cash for a second car.

Cherry Red, but they are as rare as...

I'm a big fan of 106's having owned a Series One 106 Rallye in red, brilliant car, and in 3 years I went from 57K to about 94K and only ever had to replace a drop link, front discs/pads, rear shoes and tyres. All I had done to it was a Peugeot Sport Group N exhaust and no cat, drop in filter, don't what ever you do stick an induction kit on these cars, the French hot hatches (in fact most modern cars) have excellent airboxes that you will more than likely drop power rather than gain, read this months Performance Tuner Mag for a very comprehensive test on a Clio 172, every single kit bar one lost power and introduced higher inlet temps :eek:

106 Rallyes are rare, always have been Series One about 1000 made it to the UK, and Series Two about 500IIRC, though all facts and stuff can be found on them over at http://www.rallyeregister.co.uk/

Depending on what route you want to take do not rule out the Saxo VTR as its cheaper to buy, but being a 8valve engine of fairly low compression & robust nature takes to being 'charged on standard internals, something the higher strung 16V doesn't like.

I used to work with a guy in Glasgow who had a lovely MK1 Saxo VTR in white, outside only give aways were larger though not that big black multispoke wheels hiding big brakes and a carbon bonnet which was vented to allow heat out. His was supercharged running something like 175bhp and it was very quick and reliable as it was his everyday car.

Funny thing is only last year when I started working at Coventry Airport, one of the assistants there drove a TT as everyday car, but his weekend toy was a Saxo VTR with Rotrex Supercharger on it running DasTec Unichip to control fueling, I never saw it but I believe it was in one of the mags about 12months ago, can't remember which now, something like RedLine/Fast Car etc, can't ask him as he's now a pilot at Chester (Hawerden) Airport.

I remember when the 106 GTi came out, Top Gear (old format) absolutely loved it, they took in on to a slalom test and it produced over a G of cornering grip, which was not far off the 911 they had there too, and way more than standard Focus which was the bench mark car.

As for standard performance, taken from EVO magazine as tested by them

106 GTi issue 95 full feature article

0-60mph = 7.4secs
0-100mph = 22.2secs
120 bhp@6600rpm
107 lb ft@5200rpm
Weight 950kgs
bhp/ton = 128
127mph top speed
Star rating, 4.5 out of 5
Summary; Best handling Super mini, looks its age.

Saxo VTS issue 20, road/group test

0-60mph = 7.6secs
0-100mph = 22.6secs
120bhp@6600rpm
107 lb ft@5200rpm
Weight 925kgs
bhp/ton = 130
127mph top speed
4.5/5
Summary; Chunky, chuckable charger, can catch out the unwary.

Fiat Punto HGT issue 20, road/group test (probably same one as Saxo)

0-60mph = 8.0 secs
0-100mph = 25.3secs
130bhp@6300rpm
121lb ft@4300rpm
Weight 1040kgs
bhp/ton = 127
127mph top speed
3/5
Summary; Italian spirit, style - lacks French handling flair.

Last edited:
Tom its going to have to be the 106 GTI, especially following that great post from J333EVO.

Colour wise, the later blue colour is nice (moonstone blue iirc), or the rare bright red colour. A local lad has a rear wheel drive turbo version in the red.

Sometimes its so tempting to get a trackslag 106 after selling the GP. Cheap to run and you can't have much more fun for the money.

Tom its going to have to be the 106 GTI, especially following that great post from J333EVO.

Colour wise, the later blue colour is nice (moonstone blue iirc), or the rare bright red colour. A local lad has a rear wheel drive turbo version in the red.

Sometimes its so tempting to get a trackslag 106 after selling the GP. Cheap to run and you can't have much more fun for the money.

Got my eye on a few 106's at the min, just got to sort a few things out with my sporting (MOT today!) and it will most probably be up for sale! Im in the awkward situation where I need to sell my car 1st before buying the next but cant afford to be without a car!
As for colour, Ive seen a few Sunburst Yellow ones that have caught my eye but ideally would like a Cherry Red one, but would settle for the dark blue or black!
Theres a nice Yellow S2 106 gti with 48k on the clock going for around £3500 on Piston Heads, but its in Slough.

Back