Mk2 HGT vs 106 GTi/Saxo VTS

Currently reading:
Mk2 HGT vs 106 GTi/Saxo VTS

corsa-gsi-93-europeu-1.jpg

still love these cars even today

Ok first of all don't compare a french hot hatch with an Astra ;)
i do find it difficult to compare with things that i only see in my rear view mirror. :ROFLMAO:

You said *hardcore* to me that means no sound deadening no fancy wheels lightweight etc etc

Which would be the Rallye :cool:

yeah fair enough, using that definition the rallye is more hardcore.

GTi does 0-60 in 8.4secs and top speed on 128mph. thats nearly as quick as my astra!

the S1 1.6rallye does 0-60 in 11.8secs and top speed 115mph. even in its day that wasn't quick enough to compete.

the S1 1.3rallye does 0-60 in 9.7secs and top speed 119mph. that wasnt a bad car at the time (pretty good track car out of the box imo) but the GTi wipes the floor with it and has better spec thown in too.

ok the rallye had more hardcore track car intentions, but it didnt have the performance to back it up.

The Series 1 106 Rallye had a hand built 1294cc 8v TU2J2/L/Z MFZ engine for homologation purposes for the then 1300cc limit on that rally class produces 100bhp@7200rpm & does 0-62 in little over 9.3secs, though that doesn't give full picture of how expliotable it is as a car. Series 2 8.8secs from bigger 1.6L engine, though having driven both not as much fun. 106GTi is more of teh same, faster more civilised, but not so hardcore or fun.

The Series 1 106 rallye is the ONLY supermini given 5 stars by EVO Mag and having owned one and having a mate with a Corsa GSi it was very easy to leave it trailing when driving cross country or on a track, the Corsa chassis is not in same league and the brakes are not as strong.

I'd have another Rallye in an instant and if I could justify owning 3 cars I would.

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/cardata/

Last edited:
having owned one and having a mate with a Corsa GSi it was very easy to leave it trailing when driving cross country or on a track, the Corsa chassis is not in same league and the brakes are not as strong.
weird, my own experience is very different.
when i was 19 i had an AX GT, one mate had a corsa GSI, another had a 1.3rallye and another had a brand new 106quicksilver.
we raced each other regularly. our favorite track was mostly 3rd gear with 2nd gear corners and the occasional 4th gear straight.
one thing you could be sure of, the quicksilver was always last and the corsa was always first. my AX was usually second (fastest down the straights but slowest on the corners :(). the rallye was mostly 3rd, unless he managed to get past me on a corner and i couldn't get past him again on the next straight, then it was usually game over for me because few of the straights were long enough to catch up and overtake both before the next corner. traffic provided the best opportuntities, and biggest risks. it was a lot of fun though, and in hindsight not very fast.

and then there was pedo mike with his cavalier GSi. he could destroy any of us, even if he had 4 schoolgirls in with him.

Last edited:
he still lives a stone's throw from shotton hall school. in fact he can see the junior school's playground from his bedroom window.

Last edited:
out of them, the HGT is by far the best looking...

the saxo and 106 are basically the same car, but the saxo would be quicker. However the interior in both of them is awful, and they feel very small. Both lots of fun to drive though...

I'd go as far as saying the HGT is the worse looking of the three!

Back