General m-Jet or T-Jet?

Currently reading:
General m-Jet or T-Jet?

Just to butt in:). Both of you are publically making yourselves look silly. What consitutes a "hot hatch"? The best that I EVER had was a Peugeot 1.9 205GTI in 91/92. - Fantastic car & NO Fiat GP would ever keep pace with one of those - EVER. I have a re-mapped (to approx 165-170bhp) GPS 130 & I can assure you that a seventhand 205GTI would leave the GPS for dead when corners appear. Whilst I like (but don't love) my GPS (It's the runaround - not my toy) it is adequate. It returns 46-48mpg - however driven (That's the benefit of a re-map) & is extremely fast & quiet on a motorway. But it is just not "chuckable" with any confidence on twisty B roads.

Just for reference, before I get flamed, since 2003 I have owned:

BMW 2.8 Z3, Mazda RX-8, Golf R32, Audisport TT 225, Smart Brabus Roadster, Lotus S2 Elise, Renault Clio Sport V6, BMW AC Schnitzer 3.0 Z4, Formula 27 & currently a very specially Autodelta tuned AR. My wife has a Citroen C2 VTR - which is "nippy" - but not "quick".

Out of the above cars, the only ones that I can call "quick" are the R32, Elise, BMW ACS, Clio V6 & my current Alfa.:D

Making ourselves look silly? It's a forum for discussion, whats silly about that?

If you read back you will notice that me and shropshire_lad both stated the GPS is NOT a hot hatch, we also stated that the M-jet is terrible round corners. You are only putting across what has already been said.

It looks to me you have only posted to show your collection of cars previously owned?

No puny Fiat Punto is ever going to get anywhere near those cars performance envelopes, HOWEVER, the GPS 130 with a tiny Gp 6 rating, 48mpg & incredible 30-80mph acceleration is the car for today. Spend £250 on a 170bhp remap & you have one hell of a nice car (apart from the interior & ultimate handling!).:devil:

Of course it isn't, it's a completely different league.

But the figures make sense to me, as far as I'm concerned the GPS is just a stepping stone to my next car, it's good on fuel it's not bad on acceleration and cheap insurance.

i also consider my gp m-jet to be a stepping stone its a natural progression to something better and i will make that change next spring:)

I also said you haven't moved from hatches at all.

Apologies if I wasn't clear enough, but to answer your question I do not consider a GPS 130 a hot hatch, far from it.

I also wondered what made you change from a CTR and 182 to a C2 VTS and a GPS.

I killed the Civic...well a lampost did...a faulty tyre went pop on a roundabout. Heavy side inpact and the car was written off.

Had the 182 next...best of the lot IMO. I loved the Clio but it was coming to the stage where it was going to cost big bucks, brakes neede a full overhaul and the gearbox didn't seem quite right so I sold it to a "mate". I bought the C2 brand new not long after, got a great deal, but a duff car. Was dispapointed with the pace of it even after modding it wasn't a patch on the Renault.

For the record I blew the Mk2 Golf's engine up! Although I had it for 4 years and give it some serious beans!!

Last edited:
You really need to try throw a 20V Marea round a set of bends. You'll think your GPS handles like a Caparo T1. Thank god for straight lines. lol

What about an american barge lol :D, there even worse. The Grande Punto even feels small and nimble compared to my Stilo (y)

And as for this debate over whats better, whats the difference etc. They are both the same car in the end of it. Each good at there own different thing :rolleyes:

I killed the Civic...well a lampost did...a faulty tyre went pop on a roundabout. Heavy side inpact and the car was written off.

Had the 182 next...best of the lot IMO. I loved the Clio but it was coming to the stage where it was going to cost big bucks, brakes neede a full overhaul and the gearbox didn't seem quite right so I sold it to a "mate". I bought the C2 brand new not long after, got a great deal, but a duff car. Was dispapointed with the pace of it even after modding it wasn't a patch on the Renault.

For the record I blew the Mk2 Golf's engine up! Although I had it for 4 years and give it some serious beans!!

Thats interesting, I think CTRs are very overrated cars, I have always considered a clio 182 trophy or 172 cup.

I test drove an vts and wasn't all that impressed, the GPS is good for me at the moment as I drove 60+ miles per day, hopefully when our contract is up I'll get moved closer to home, then I think I may have a lotus elise.

I'm glad you said you liked the 182 better, I think i'd have one over a CTR.

You really need to try throw a 20V Marea round a set of bends. You'll think your GPS handles like a Caparo T1. Thank god for straight lines. lol

Try a 2.4 JTD Marea Weekend.....

Tipo 2.0 16v was pretty much the last of the hot hatches. They started getting too heavy afterwards due to all the safety cell, airbags... etc.

Back to the original question. There was mention of the Mjet being noisier than the Tjet. That's only true at tickover. At anything over 30mph the Mjet will be deathly quiet where as approaching 70mph the petrol will be buzzing away at x1000 rpm..

Back to the original question. There was mention of the Mjet being noisier than the Tjet. That's only true at tickover. At anything over 30mph the Mjet will be deathly quiet where as approaching 70mph the petrol will be buzzing away at x1000 rpm..

I agree there (y)

with a diesel at say 80mph you will be turning over what 2500 to 3000rpm (ish - rough figures), and it will be making a muted but solid humming noise that is very low pitched and not to intrusive.

get in the ptrol on the other hand and add about 1200rpm to that figure and you might just be getting a very intrusive high pitched winey noise :D

i would like to see the petty do 45/50mpg at those speeds to :rolleyes:

My previous car which was a Panda 100HP averaged about 30 - 32 MPG I admit I had a heavy 6500 RPM right foot ONLY when warm with a touch of Sports mode but that was only 25% of my driving type. After that Id take it easy and cruise with low rev gear changes so I am assuming since the 1.4 16V T-Jet is the same engine just with a Turbo on it the MPG drops again!

So In theory since mainly younger "petrol crased" people are buying the T-Jet over the M-Jet they shall have heavy right foot's as much as me so bring on the perminant trip to petrol stations, £20 a week for my Panda 100HP.

Seriously I swore blinde on this forum not so long ago that id never get a diesel and there was no way a diesel could match performance of a petrol yet I was soooo wrong!
I am a proud owner of a 2004 Punto HGT Multijet that in my opinion looks and feels as nice as a GP, but thats obviously down to personal opinion and many will have mixed thoughts I guess and as we are in the GP section I expect disagreement, obviously!
My car is 1075 Kg compared to the 1.8 16V petrol HGT which is 1045 kg so the 30 Kg difference almost makes no difference unlike on the GPS M-Jet vs T-Jet (same kind of topic with MK2's HGT Petrol vs HGT Multijet) ;) will point out my car is lighter than any of you T-Jet owners :D.

If It was down to me at the moment with such high fueling prices Id have to say go with a Diesel and enjoy the torque and MPG while I will admit I do miss the sound of that little Panda 100HP's engine spinning at stupid rpm (y)

Do what you think is right and enjoy!

Cheers

One quick note, when listening to the tractor noise of a diesel, make sure you listen to it when warmed up. They get quieter when warm IMO.

I love diesel cars. The M-Jet will have far better performance with some spirited driving. A lot more torque for ease of driving. But it wont have the right noise. And as for the 7k redline thing, I dont mind at all.

Both cars will be doing similar speeds on the redline of each gear as the gearing in the M-Jet is much longer.

One quick note, when listening to the tractor noise of a diesel, make sure you listen to it when warmed up. They get quieter when warm IMO.

I love diesel cars. The M-Jet will have far better performance with some spirited driving. A lot more torque for ease of driving. But it wont have the right noise. And as for the 7k redline thing, I dont mind at all.

Both cars will be doing similar speeds on the redline of each gear as the gearing in the M-Jet is much longer.

Completely agree with that (y)

Somenew diesels are getting really advanced. Some in new cars such as audis/bmws/mercs etc are mounted on springs to avoid vibrations (y)

They are certainly moving on.

And work out cheaper to insure then petrols with the equivilent power mostly :D

i had a diesel multijet 150 bravo the other day as a courtesy car, the performance was great but at a standstill and when pulling away it sounded like i was driving a transit van. sorry but i'm glad i have a T-Jet at least it sounds like a proper car and not a van. petrol all the way thanks.

Petrol or Diesel :p It was still a fiat. (y)

Can you imagine if it was 5-10 years ago with the diesels in cars. then it rally would sound like a van :p

Its probably because it either
a) wasnt warmed up propoerly
b) didnt have a lot of miles on the clock

i had a diesel multijet 150 bravo the other day as a courtesy car, the performance was great but at a standstill and when pulling away it sounded like i was driving a transit van. sorry but i'm glad i have a T-Jet at least it sounds like a proper car and not a van. petrol all the way thanks.

would have bravo sport m-jet 150 16v any day over a grande punto t-jet as you said its like driving a transit van i have driven the bravo m-jet sport and its nothing like a TRANSIT VAN and its way faster than your t-jet and over all its a far better car than a grande punto as its got to be its got tougher competition:p

Or more than likely he's used to driving petrols therefore any diesel would sound 'van like' to him

True True :D

You can get noisy petrols as well. Some petrols sound dog rough compared to others.

I had a chevvy kalos as a courtesy car a few months ago, and it had done about 2 k miles, and from the outside the engine was noisier then the one in the stilo (when the stilos is warmed up) :D

Back