Technical Loud metallic ticking when idle

Currently reading:
Technical Loud metallic ticking when idle

hertzvanrental

Hi I have a 2000 1.9 jtd. The other night I parked at Tesco and sat there for a few minutes checking my phone. Suddenly a loud metallic type ticking noise started. And it's been there ever since. It dies off when revs and road speed are increased and the car still drives like a dream. It really is loud on tick over. The sound is coming from the off side near where the alternator and pulleys are. A mechanic said take the ? auxillary belt off and run the engine briefly. If the noise goes then you know what it is but he never said what the problem might be. Anyone had a similar experience or have any ideas of what it could be? I'm working at the mo so I haven't had a chance to do a proper search on the site so I apologise in advance if this has been covered. I thought I'd get this post in first. I am desperate coz at the mo this our only car.
Cheers

Just as you've been told, remove the auxiliary drive belt. If the noise is no longer evident, check all the ancillaries driven by the belt for movement at the drive end which would indicate a fault with that particular item.

Personally, I'd guess it's the drive belt tensioner.

Cheers Zundapp

I've also found it may also be the crank pulley........:bang: won't let me post the URL though.

Cheers Zundapp

I've also found it may also be the crank pulley........:bang: won't let me post the URL though.

would make sense, if the vibration damper is split or just knackered there might be play in it which would cause it to chatter. you may be able to see this without taking the belt off. if not, take the auxiliary belt off as previously posted and grab hold of the pulley and try and move it back and forth. it shouldnt move much either way, if it does its knackered.

might be worth turning your air con on and off when the noise is there and seeing if it changes tone or gets worse etc, just trying to save you taking the belt off if you dont need to as theyre a bugger on the floor.

another possibility is the cambelt tensioner.

Last edited:
Just tried the air con and when it's switched off the noise is greatly reduced. So what do I need to do to rectify? In the meantime I'll have a quick search in some of the other posts.
Cheers

Just tried the air con and when it's switched off the noise is greatly reduced. So what do I need to do to rectify? In the meantime I'll have a quick search in some of the other posts.
Cheers

Further to the above, yes the noise is reduced with the AC switched off (but still noticable at idle) but I've now noticed that even a slight turning of the steering wheel (either way) inreases the ticking (still at idle/less than 20 mph) but eases when the wheels are in the neutral position.

Further to the above, yes the noise is reduced with the AC switched off (but still noticable at idle) but I've now noticed that even a slight turning of the steering wheel (either way) inreases the ticking (still at idle/less than 20 mph) but eases when the wheels are in the neutral position.

the power steering pump, alternator and air con compressor are all driven by the crank pulley via the auxiliary drivebelt, so something on the drivebelt side of things isnt right.

check that the tensioner is sitting square on the belt. if it seems ok, youre gonna be getting into removing the belt and checking all your pulleys for play/endfloat.

Back