General Looking at a diesel tomorrow

Currently reading:
General Looking at a diesel tomorrow

klop

Hi, possibly looking at an '08 Panda diesel tomorrow to purchase.

Just wondering what people think of the diesel and what we should look out for when test driving etc.
I think it has sat for a while, but does have a full years MOT.

We had a 1.2 petrol up until 18ish months ago when it spectacularly broke down!

Thanks

Had a 2009/10 diesel cross, daughter has it now, never any issues with the engine.
Friend has the same engine in a 500, again, no issues (except for a gearbox rebuild wouldn’t stay in 2nd gear but never heard of this issue before)
Keep to the mileage/time specs for filter changes and all will be good.

Doesn't matter if petrol or diesel at 15 years old things will need replacing

Very few at this age will have a continuous history

If you are handy with spanners most parts are cheap

Body corrosion is a walk away

If the, rear axle needs replacing in will need to be costed in

Hard to start from cold
Smoke from the exhaust.
Clutch judder
Egr valve not blanked off

In this country the MOT history checker is a big help. If the same thing pops up on consecutive year its likely it's not had money spent on servicing

The 1.3 multijet is a hardy little engine and is pretty robust. A common issue is weep fuel around the high pressure diesel pump which sits to the right lower corner of the engine cover. On the panda the clutch was undersized so wore quicker than on the bigger Punto.
Other than that there are not a lot of issues with the engine.

People will warn you about the timing chain but if it’s not obviously noisy or rattling I’d not worry about it, just make sure the service history is good.

Probably more panda related problems are more of an issue such as the rear beam/axle rusting and failing around the suspension springs but really they are mechanically very simple.
Make sure all the electrics work and make sure it’s got both keys because replacing a lost key can get very expensive

If the engine is ticking, it's likely to be a valve tappet.
If it's done 100,000 miles, change the timing chain, tappets and lifters. My broken cam chain was not badly worn. The side plates had fatigue fractured.
Fuel pump is at front of cylinder head on the right (gearbox end) leaks here will put sludge down that end of the engine.
Sumps rust on 1.1, 1.2, 1.3. Check for crustiness at front of sump.
Ideally, lift off the air filter engine cover (it uses grommets at the front and a peg at the back) Carbon build up around an injector likely to need a special tool to extract a stuck injector. You will need to unplug MAP sensor and air pipe to turbo.
Make sure you drive it. The EGR causes carbon build up when they are always driven slowly. Performance should be better than 1.2 petrol.
In common with most Fiats, heavy clutch = worn clutch.

Make sure you drive it*. The EGR causes carbon build up when they are always driven slowly. Performance should be better than 1.2 petrol.
* make sure you go over 3000 rpm in fourth or fifth. This will test the wastegate is not gummed up. If it is, power will suddenly reduce and EML will come on.
Fixable, but a sign of over-gentle use, which could mean lots of soot inside engine.
Not sure of 08 has DPF or not. I have a 57 which doesn't, but I think I remember seeing another 57 which did. (I prefer them without, as it's an extra complication, and I'm not totally convinced they are better for the environment.)

Hi
Get it properly warm (from a COLD start)

After @6 or 8 minutes temp gauge should get to centre ( thermostats are awkward and pricey..)

Engine should idle smoothly hot and cold..quietening down once warm

Performance is pedestrian up to 2000rpm..

Once warm accelerate hard in 3rd gear..

Should pull hard from @2500 - 4000

Listen for odd noises... and wear in engine mounts ;-)

Exhaust tends to last well.. but do check for obvious leaks..or damage

Check glow plug and water in fuel lights at MAR

I know nothing about the DPF models.. but owner 3 x 2007/8 1248mjs all ran well (80/120k)

Worth tripping MPG.. should get 70+ on a testdrive ;-)

My 09 does not have DPF. But it does have the huge EGR with gas flow preferential to the turbo - and it was horribly sooted up.

My 09 does not have DPF. But it does have the huge EGR with gas flow preferential to the turbo - and it was horribly sooted up.
Just noticed an old note from myself... DPF pandas apparently have a red dot on the "i" in multijet and they were both available for a while.
No idea where I got the information from though...

Just noticed an old note from myself... DPF pandas apparently have a red dot on the "i" in multijet and they were both available for a while.
No idea where I got the information from though...
Never seen one…and there’s a lot of them around here! Red dot

Back