Technical Stalling at Idle

Currently reading:
Technical Stalling at Idle

Lewie Matthews

I have a type 169 Panda, it's getting quite old now but has been relatively problem free until recently.

Outside of a few electrical faults it has had nothing major except the engine will often stall at idle, especially when the revs are decreasing. It has no tachometer so I cant tell if it's idling too low but it has the 1.1 Active Eco engine.

I tried cleaning the throttle body and it did help and ran without issue for about a week but began to stall again, the issue seems to be made worse in wet or humid weather.

Any advice is appreciated, I have almost no idea what's happening.

I have a type 169 Panda, it's getting quite old now but has been relatively problem free until recently.

Outside of a few electrical faults it has had nothing major except the engine will often stall at idle, especially when the revs are decreasing. It has no tachometer so I cant tell if it's idling too low but it has the 1.1 Active Eco engine.

I tried cleaning the throttle body and it did help and ran without issue for about a week but began to stall again, the issue seems to be made worse in wet or humid weather.

Any advice is appreciated, I have almost no idea what's happening.
I would try carefully cleaning the MAP sensor and inside the inlet manifold. We have episodes with our 169 and this is teh biggest factor in the cure. Check the larger bore crank case breather pipe too . It has a flame resitor in it that blocks and this wont help. Mine is a 1.2 so not quite the same but the issue is likely similar. If you could get a diagnosis with MES it might help

Cable or electronic throttle?

Do you have a scantool, read codes live data

Spark plugs when we're they last changed, standard one are good for 20K they start to fall off a bit after that

Last edited:
I would try carefully cleaning the MAP sensor and inside the inlet manifold. We have episodes with our 169 and this is teh biggest factor in the cure. Check the larger bore crank case breather pipe too . It has a flame resitor in it that blocks and this wont help. Mine is a 1.2 so not quite the same but the issue is likely similar. If you could get a diagnosis with MES it might help
I'm not sure what those parts are and can't find much online to figure out where they are. But if I appreciate the help and I'll see if it works

Cable or electronic throttle?

Do you have a scantool, read codes live data

Spark plugs when we're they last changed, standard one are good for 20K they start to fall off a bit after that
It has a cable throttle and as far as I am aware the spark-plugs are under 20K so should be fine, I don't have a scan tool so im don't think I could get the codes.

Thanks for the help anyways.

The fact it improved when some clean was squired down the front

I'd be tempted to try and clean the idle control valve itself

It's underneath under a spring loaded plastic cover

You can uncover it gently with a small screwdriver and clean underneath with a cotton bud

IMG_20240212_094005.jpg

I'm not sure what those parts are and can't find much online to figure out where they are. But if I appreciate the help and I'll see if it works
IMG_20240212_101234.jpg

Breather pipe

IMG_20240128_203506.jpg

MAP sensor

I am not sure which black inlet manifold is fitted to your engine

The part is identical but some are fitted to the right hand end, some on the left

I think all cable throttles are to the right of the throttle body,

View attachment 438078

Breather pipe

View attachment 438079

MAP sensor

I am not sure which black inlet manifold is fitted to your engine

The part is identical but some are fitted to the right hand end, some on the left

I think all cable throttles are to the right of the throttle body,
I'll have a look and see if anything can be done but given my current situation I may end up trading in the car instead because a good deal of maintenance needs done soon.

I appreciate the help regardless, Thank you so much

Back