Lights

Currently reading:
Lights

Sopden1

Hiya

I am having problems with my main lights on my Fiat 500X the bulbs was a yellow colour and I wanted to changed them to the bright ones, I went Halfords a few months ago and then replaced and now driving in the dark more often I’ve realised that these lights are doing nothing for me, they don’t light up anything that’s in front me unless I’m literally right behind someone,I went back to Halfords today and they’ve told me I’ve got the brightest ones they do I was just wondering whether someone could help me or tell me where I should be buying my main lights from to get them bright and white/blue please

Hi Sopden and welcome to the forums

Often the plastic lenses on the front of the car headlights become yellowed and pitted with age if theyre not made from glass, which many modern cars are not.

If that has happened, whatever bulbs you fit will always feel like they aren't performing. The outer headlight lenses should be clean, and crystal clear. Inspect them closely - they may even feel rough to the touch from erosion and may look yellowed. There are kits you can buy to remedy that problem, consisting of fine grade sandpapers and polishing compounds - they work well; a friend with a Jag had the same problem; it was so bad that I considered his lights to be positively dangerous!
You can get a proper Micromesh acrylic kit from the likes of eBay - or a cheaper kit from Halfords - Meguiars T-Cut or Autoglym do them. I also recomend Greygates plastic polish. Alternatively you can use old fashioned T-Cut or even Brasso! I use the Micromesh kits in aviation to polish out scratches in aircraft acrylic windows and it works a treat - at first some of the abrasives seem brutal but you use a finer grade each time until the final abrasive feels like it isnt doing anything - then fihish with a soft (microfibre) cloth and Greygates acrylic polish - the finishesd job will make it look like new!

If it isn't that, I can only think that the lamps are not getting the full power that they need. Check for poor (corroding) earth cables and clean off the corrosion, refit using Liqui Moly battery terminal grease.

The bulbs are probably H4 if so, try THESE - they improved the rubbish lamps on my Suzuki Jimny by a good 40% casting more light into the ditches either side of the road.

I have the same bulbs in my Panda and that too has been greatly improved but not as much -probably because the beam pattern on the Panda's reflector is better than the Jimny.

Last edited:
All headlight bulbs are limited to 55w unless they are LED or HID fitted in the factory. There is a massive market in selling “brighter” bulbs but really this is all a con any increase is only slight and most rely on making the bulb appear whiter rather than being actually brighter.

Put some good quality osram bulbs in and that’s likely the best they can be, make sure the bulb is fitted properly and not in the wrong position (important if you let a halfords teen near them) and make sure the lenses are clean, if everything is right then that’s the best you will get. Other than fitting illegal over powered bulbs that risk burning the headlight wiring

Back