Light clucking sound from clutch when engine idling.

Currently reading:
Light clucking sound from clutch when engine idling.

peterdt0260

Light clucking sound from clutch when engine idling. When engagingclutch noise goes away. I had clutch assembly replaced and skimmed flywheel. Any ideas?

Either clutch release bearing or gearbox input shaft bearings do this. My guess is a noisy clutch release bearing. Get a second opinion from a garage but if its not too noisy its not worth pulling the gearbox out if the clutch works OK. Start saving up for a new clutch in case it gets worse.

Either clutch release bearing or gearbox input shaft bearings do this. My guess is a noisy clutch release bearing. Get a second opinion from a garage but if its not too noisy its not worth pulling the gearbox out if the clutch works OK. Start saving up for a new clutch in case it gets worse.
Thanks for the info, I had the flywheel skimmed and replaced clutch,pressure plate, releas bearing and end seal. I think it could be input shaft. As you said, if it does not give problems, leave it be.

Keep a look for oil at bottom of block / bell housing.

When refitting a gearbox to clutch/block then one has to be careful not to load the weight of the gearbox due to incorrect alignment on the gearbox input shaft and/or clutch plate centre. Wrong angle approach can put significant load on both items.

Back