LCD tv recomendations?

Currently reading:
LCD tv recomendations?

mitchellinman

Hi im looking into an lcd tv either 26/27" or 32" and around the £400 mark does anyone have any recomendations?
Cheers Alex

got a 'techwood' (never heard of them either) 32" HDTV for £600 (£675 with the nice glass stand). only 720p but not bad at that price.

course it broke on the 7th day, and the replacement has a dead pixel :( but other than that its fine and has a PC in (along with all the stuff for the xbox360 etc).

bit annoying as it supports 1360*768 resolution but only seems to like 1024*768 (which is plenty readable), once it put itself in 1360*768 but after rebooting it went back to 1024*768 for some reason ...

and i was only going out for a bucket so i could wash my car ...

My advice is not to bother unless you are going HD with Sky or you have a space restriction. The image quality and colour balance are good, but nowhere near as good as a comparable CRT TV. Also the audio delay on cheaper LCD's is not up to spec and it will be liking watching a badly dubbed episode of "Monkey".

Anything with only 720 is a risk as well.

LCD is a waste of money, i'd rather keep my CRT, the picture is much better than an LCD. Plasma is a lot better and the prices are falling all the time. I'm waiting a couple of years and then getting a plasma. if you get an LCD you'll soon grow tired of the blurred effect whenever anything moves on the screen. i've found the LG ones are best, but still not good enough to actually own and use. they're ok for PCs, but silly for TV.

I too am sticking to CRT for the time being as my sets only two years old. but will be going for Panasonic plasma when ready to change. Plasma has a slightly faster refresh rate so not the same "blurred effect" as LCD although both will be getting faster still in the future(y)

The reason for Panasonic plasma in the future is their commitment to plasma technology, research and development. They have recently opened the largest plasma plant/factory in the world. while others are committing themselves to LCD.

Plus all Panasonic set are coming with 5year warranties just now.
Plus I'm in the trade:rolleyes:

I have a 37" Toshiba HD TV, normal TV is pants through it, however my XBox 360 running on it via a HiDef VGA cable has to be seen to be believed.

whats the point of not getting a HD tv? lets face it everything will be coming out in HD, i bought a 720p as its 1/2 way between true HD and normal tv, the 360 plays well on it and it is most definately a noticeable difference.

i liken buying a regular CRT to buying a black and white tv when colour just came in ... or purchasing the latest films on VIDEO. now the prices are pretty competitive for a HDTV whats the point? if ever you get sky/cable HD or a HD console you wont get the benefit ... the only reason i dont get it myself is i dont watch enough tv for it to be worthwhile and its only a couple of channels at the moment.

once you go HD and been playing games and watching HD movies you wont be going back, people who complain about poor quality really dont get the point, when i watch tv round a friends house nowadays you really notice the difference.

A lot of programs won't be broadcast in HD for a long time, for example the BBC plans for mainstream HD are a long way off. In the meantime LCD's will improve and get to a point where they are as good as a CRT and they will also drop in price so until this happens a CRT is a good option and better to watch.

The broadcast companies still prefer CRT tubes to LCD even for HD, the trouble is a graded HD CRT is about £12-13K.

You would be suprised how few HD receivers are actually installed at the moment.

poggy said:
A lot of programs won't be broadcast in HD for a long time, for example the BBC plans for mainstream HD are a long way off. In the meantime LCD's will improve and get to a point where they are as good as a CRT and they will also drop in price so until this happens a CRT is a good option and better to watch.

The broadcast companies still prefer CRT tubes to LCD even for HD, the trouble is a graded HD CRT is about £12-13K.

You would be suprised how few HD receivers are actually installed at the moment.
agreed,would like an HD monitor for xbox 360 but not that fussed and funds are not really there.
i can wait for more HD availability and lower prices/better spec

Back