Technical Kangarooing Abarth [variator?]

Currently reading:
Technical Kangarooing Abarth [variator?]

BO20 BAE 403D 08205 got me a Champion coil from my Fiat dealer, but I can't recall if it was the Champion part No or a Fiat part No I jotted down. If you go to a dealer just check they are not carrying old stock, they used to supply Sagem but appear to have switched to Champion, possibly because of the reliability issues

If you have a selespeed drive it in manual for a bit before switching to auto, that gives the engine a chance to warm up and not change gear so often which is when the problem appears.

sounds simple but it took me 6 months to think of it :)

mine used too kangaroo alot last year, but then engine managment went down and i had coil set fitted. problem went. now approx 8 months l8r its back. hope the coil sets r not a yearly thing :(
:bang: :bang: :cry:

Hello Mate

I have had this problem, But it was never very bad.
Some people say it is the coils, or even the airflow meter.

Try these two fixes,
Try (with engine runnung) putting car in and out of gear several times before pulling away.

Also I have just had my Abarth serviced, New spark plugs has solved this problem.

Good Luck

yes i have the same problem, only when its cold right at the start. i just try to start slowly or sometimes in second.

Its fine if you start downhill and not be bad on a straight, i find it worst if your starting uphill! But after a min it goes fine,

also i have the auto gearbox failure warning light appear sometimes and that seems to come on when its cold or wet when im braking, im hoping it isnt a serious problem as when it comes on an i am in manual it makes no difference but if in auto, once that light has come on it stops changing gear :( but i usually always drive it in manual so no really problem

My abarth was kangarooing when is cold. I went to the service that is held by my friend to fix problems with losing electricity for the moment. We attached examiner and no errors were present. The problem was in the loose battery connector. He tight up the connector and that solved power lose problem. After that I took examiner and do the following. Go to the selespeed selection and started the self learning procedure for the gearbox and for the clutch. This lasted for 5 min and during that gearbox changed all gear up and down. After this changing of the gears is much smoother and take off is faster. Also kangarooing was gone.

Try this before moving off, it has worked for me every time:

Put car in manual
Rev for a couple of seconds at 2-3000, just to get the fuel moving (seems to warm car up enough)
Go through the gears, reverse, neutral, first, second, first (this seems to resolve the gear flywheel issue people have mentioned?)
Put into first and pull away

each time I have done this routine, no kangarooing even from cold.

forgot to say, if I only do one part of this, e.g. revs or gear changes on there own - it still kangaroos. so for me at least there are a number of causes but this seems to address them all - and no coil pack change.

hi guys , first check that the pipe from the manifold to the flow meter is in good condition and attatched properly , if thats ok ask ur dealer to do end of line service calibration with examiner under active diagnosis . failing that remove ns wheel arch liner find 20ish pin black connector disconect it and clean contacts then push whole thing through gap above gearbox [u may need to remove battery box] reconect both ends of loom and cable tie behind ns headlamp ! ball ache but will fix most problems with selaspeed boxes.

Re: Kangarooing / Coil Problem?

Just found some coils:

Part Number: S4P2396
Manufacturer: Bosch

£203.10 Inc. VAT & Delivery.

Is that good/bad?!?!?

Usually its not all the coils that fail. Can't you just get one and try each coil in turn till you find the faulty one?

Why replace all of them?

Hello mate, Mine still does it and i have just put in five new Bosch plugs and five new Bosch coils and a brand new battery!!, Had diagnostics done at local dealer with a selespeed gearbox calibration and any software updates, Still the same as if i did nothing!, Although i will say it accelerates better when it's finally warm and not kangarooing, Don't wanna spend anymore money chasing the problem as the car is getting on now (52 plate), Good luck.

Geoff

Back