Technical Kangarooing Abarth [variator?]

Currently reading:
Technical Kangarooing Abarth [variator?]

Mine's doing it a bit and has been for a good few months, had gearbox recalibrated and didn't fix it.

I don't think the spark plugs have ever been changed either and it's done 32k miles :rolleyes: so gonna change them next if it still doesn't fix it then I'm not bothered only does it for a few seconds when cold anyway, it just looks like you can't drive when pulling off :p

EDIT: when it went in for recalibration the pre-cat sensor had a fault on examiner so cleared that and then tested it and it ran between 100-900 on idle as it should so gonna have that tested again in a few weeks. (there was no fault light on dash for this)

Last edited:
Mine's doing it a bit and has been for a good few months, had gearbox recalibrated and didn't fix it.

I don't think the spark plugs have ever been changed either and it's done 32k miles :rolleyes: so gonna change them next if it still doesn't fix it then I'm not bothered only does it for a few seconds when cold anyway, it just looks like you can't drive when pulling off :p

EDIT: when it went in for recalibration the pre-cat sensor had a fault on examiner so cleared that and then tested it and it ran between 100-900 on idle as it should so gonna have that tested again in a few weeks. (there was no fault light on dash for this)

I did all of theings you've mentioned and it didn't fix it for me either. The variator test and fix did though. If you get a chance, give it a go and see if it helps you. It'd be good to get confirmation that what fixed mine actually fixes the kangarooing for everyone (y)

OK. five new coil packs fitted, and all the above mentioned symptoms have gone :D (y)

Hi i drive a 52 plate stilo abarth my my car alway kangaroos on starting. Can you please advise me where the coils go? r they the connections that go into the hole where the spark plug is.

Many Thanks

Dee

Hi guys

My car was serviced last friday (distribution kit, sparks, oil). Before it everything was running smoothly.

But Yesterday starting the car cold, when slightly pressing the accelerator uphill it started doing slowmotion kangarooing until I pressed the pedal harder.

Today, I tried again from cold, and its doing it a bit. Plus, gear changing was a ruff. But what lost me was when driving steady speed in 4rth gear it lost a bit of power. Also with cold engine.
what the hell.

Here is the information I gathered to show Fiat today:

- Recalibrate selespeed (actuator) (end of line test)
- Update selespeed E.C.U
- Coils
- actuator/variator = p1653
- sparks need 0.9mmm spacing (Champion)
- weak battery
- Lambda Sensor
- accelerator pedal sensor

Last edited:
Guys, there are so many causes for this its unbelievable. My dad had one and it never ran right until I replaced all the coils and plugs and most importantly I fitted a better, slightly more powerful heavy duty battery. As has been said here, the terminals must be spotless. This cured it but what I noticed from the old battery is that the alternator only just charges it and if the battery is even just a tiny bit down, the problems start. The system has an incredibly large draw on it due to all the circuitry involved in the selespeed system. Interestingly,I have had the same problem on my wife's Punto Speedgear. The previous owner had replaced the electricaltop end twice but I noticed that the battery was charging at a volt down. New alternator and battery and bingo, its gone!:D

Thanks. Good to know.

I took it to Fiat, hooked it to the Examiner. Did the calibration/end of line test etc.

The battery reads 13.4volts.

Anyway, the car never did that again and it must have been my low experience with the car.

car's been perfect but yesterday I think I "provoked" the kangarooing...

Usualy the car starts cold with high revs and drops them down in a minute. If I start driving with the high revs the ride isn't smooth. I usually wait to the revs drop down. Not a problem when I do so.
But yesterday I thought to myself what would happened if I gave it a bit of gas to warm the engine faster and make the revs drop faster. Big mistake!

the car kangarooed like crazy. Today I waited for the revs to drop down naturally, and everything was a lot better.

But something is a miss. While driving, When I have my foot on the gas the ride is smooth. When I take the foot off, it feels jerky, like kangarooing backwards... Maybe its psychological, maybe not. I never driven other abarths...

But something is a miss. While driving, When I have my foot on the gas the ride is smooth. When I take the foot off, it feels jerky, like kangarooing backwards... Maybe its psychological, maybe not. I never driven other abarths...

I'll be honest, that's sort of what I'd expect it to do. One minute, the engine is driving the wheels and then if you let your foot off the gas suddenly, then the revs drop quickly and the wheels end up driving the engine because the clutch is still engaged. The severity of the effect would depend on what gear you're in, with lower gears being much more pronounced... but I do have to say, I've never noticed it in mine :(

hey gregs!

I read your variator actuator stuff. Did you manage to do a picture tutorial?
I'd like to learn as much as possible about the car (I guess from being a computer technician geek and all).

Is this the solenoid cap you talked about? http://hitspaces.net/1q.JPG
Do I do all the measurements with the car started?

thanks

hey gregs!

I read your variator actuator stuff. Did you manage to do a picture tutorial?
I'd like to learn as much as possible about the car (I guess from being a computer technician geek and all).

Is this the solenoid cap you talked about? http://hitspaces.net/1q.JPG
Do I do all the measurements with the car started?

thanks

Sorry, no picture tutorial but I've still got everything I wrote so the next time I have the cover off my engine, I'll take some snaps (y)

Yup, that's the solenoid cap although that picture is from an Alfa I believe but it looks exactly the same on the Abarth. This is what I recently posted into another thread, might be useful. Test 1 is conducted with the engine off, Test 2 and 3 with the engine running.

1) To test the solenoid: What you're trying to do is to test the variator solenoid, and it's easy to diagnose, just put your multimeter across the 2 terminals of the solenoid (the blobs on the top, not the plug connectors) and check for continuity, if there's none (eg. you've got some resistance there) then undo the 2 philips screws on the top of it and remove the cap (pull it off, don't twist), connect the multimeter to the 2 spikes on the solenoid and check for continuity again, I bet you get it this time. if you do then it's the cap at fault, what you need to do is drop little balls of solder into the 2 holes for the spikes in the cap and then fit it back on, then you should have your continuity back accross the plug terminals. If you didn't have continuity across the cap and the actuator pins, then the actuator is probably at fault and you'll need to get it replaced.

2) To test the ECU: Take the plug off the solenoid and connect a multimeter to the socket of the plug. There's three there and I can't remember which ones you need to test but essentially, what your trying to do is is see if the ECU changes the voltage across the two of the pins when the engine goes through the rev range. At idle until about 3500rpm, there should be 0volts. At 3500-4750rpm, there should be 12v and from 4750 to redline, there should be 0v. If you see that happen, then the ECu is okay (y)

3) To test the Variator: The solenoid has a permanent 12v on one of the pins it but the other pin is only grounded by the ECU when the variator is to be actuated. This means that you can test the solenoid by grounding one of the terminals (the bottom terminal I think, test this yourself by using the multimeter and testing the voltage between the chassis and each solder blob on the top of the solenoid cap. Whichever doesn't give you a voltage reading, is the one you want to ground). So... with the engine running, briefly touch a wire between the chassis and the solder on the cap that is supposed to be grounded by the ECU.

If everything is working as it should in the solenoid and the variator then the engine should almost stall straight away. This is because the variator has altered the inlet valve timing at idle meaning that the inlet valve is open at the wrong time messing with the compression and ignition.

Hi have news!
In the mornings the car has been idling a bit unstable (up and down a few revs), and it shakes a bit while it does that. Like a bad pressed clutch.
At night starting cold I've felt the kangarooing particularly when it rains a lot.

anyway

I stopped by FIAT to connect to the Examiner (free of charge, nice people).
The bosch system reads the error P1653 but it was not recent, a few weeks old.
P1653 = variator fase

the selespeed system reads the error "accelerator pedal not detected", also not recent.

They cleaned the variator fase plug, and the induction (the butterfly thingy). They also said the car was too new to be the clutch or the selespeed problems. It counts 41Kmiles
I don't disagree, because the car runs flawlessly the rest of the day.

Last edited:
Sorry, no picture tutorial but I've still got everything I wrote so the next time I have the cover off my engine, I'll take some snaps (y)

Yup, that's the solenoid cap although that picture is from an Alfa I believe but it looks exactly the same on the Abarth. This is what I recently posted into another thread, might be useful. Test 1 is conducted with the engine off, Test 2 and 3 with the engine running.

1) To test the solenoid: What you're trying to do is to test the variator solenoid, and it's easy to diagnose, just put your multimeter across the 2 terminals of the solenoid (the blobs on the top, not the plug connectors) and check for continuity, if there's none (eg. you've got some resistance there) then undo the 2 philips screws on the top of it and remove the cap (pull it off, don't twist), connect the multimeter to the 2 spikes on the solenoid and check for continuity again, I bet you get it this time. if you do then it's the cap at fault, what you need to do is drop little balls of solder into the 2 holes for the spikes in the cap and then fit it back on, then you should have your continuity back accross the plug terminals. If you didn't have continuity across the cap and the actuator pins, then the actuator is probably at fault and you'll need to get it replaced.

2) To test the ECU: Take the plug off the solenoid and connect a multimeter to the socket of the plug. There's three there and I can't remember which ones you need to test but essentially, what your trying to do is is see if the ECU changes the voltage across the two of the pins when the engine goes through the rev range. At idle until about 3500rpm, there should be 0volts. At 3500-4750rpm, there should be 12v and from 4750 to redline, there should be 0v. If you see that happen, then the ECu is okay (y)

3) To test the Variator: The solenoid has a permanent 12v on one of the pins it but the other pin is only grounded by the ECU when the variator is to be actuated. This means that you can test the solenoid by grounding one of the terminals (the bottom terminal I think, test this yourself by using the multimeter and testing the voltage between the chassis and each solder blob on the top of the solenoid cap. Whichever doesn't give you a voltage reading, is the one you want to ground). So... with the engine running, briefly touch a wire between the chassis and the solder on the cap that is supposed to be grounded by the ECU.

If everything is working as it should in the solenoid and the variator then the engine should almost stall straight away. This is because the variator has altered the inlet valve timing at idle meaning that the inlet valve is open at the wrong time messing with the compression and ignition.

Just to make sure, there is only one solenoid on the engine that looks like that picture?

I saw it yesterday. Is it on the top left of the engine, under the engine cover?

thanks

Back