General JTD Reliability?

Currently reading:
General JTD Reliability?

Hi everyone,

Im looking at getting a Mk2 punto and i have seen quite a good 1.9 JTD, are the JTDs generally any more or less reliable than the 1.2 petrols

thanks

Depends entirely down to service history! If it's been looked after it will last! Doesn't matter if it's petrol or diesel. If it's been neglected and never serviced it won't have as much life!

My bro has an JTD Alfa with 150K on the clock - but its always been properly serviced.

If its not got a decent history walk away or get in VERY cheap and have a spare car handy until everything is sorted.

1.9JTD is the most reliabile engine for the punto mk2, it is from the mouth of fiat mechanics and i have also red it somewhere. My JTD has 156K on the clock and it is driven on very bad roads, an it has never had any kind of engine problem, just dont be cheep on serviceing it (oil, filters...)..and use SELENIA TURBO DIESEL:LOL:

Absolutely; it was a joint venture with VW. Many would say the Fiat JTD is a better job than the VW TDI. Just never skimp on servicing. If the history is doubtful/missing get it cheap or walk away.

Last edited:
Absolutely; it was a joint venture with VW. Many would say the Fiat JTD is a better job than the VW TDI. Just never skimp on servicing. If the history is doubtful/missing get it cheap or walk away.

i think you got that mixed up somewhere..

JTD and TDI are both direct injection turbo diesel, similarities end there though.. VW had nothing to do with the JTD engine, the MJet was the result of a partnership between Fiat and GM.. MJet and JTD are not the same engine, MJet is an evolution of the JTD injection system...

the TDI was invented by Fiat way back in the Croma TDI but the patents sold to Bosch, that was how VW got to use TDI engines..

I know only that Opel makes their Dci or TDCI engines like JTDs, Jtd stands for -uni JET TURBO DIESEl

i think you got that mixed up somewhere..

JTD and TDI are both direct injection turbo diesel, similarities end there though.. VW had nothing to do with the JTD engine, the MJet was the result of a partnership between Fiat and GM.. MJet and JTD are not the same engine, MJet is an evolution of the JTD injection system...

the TDI was invented by Fiat way back in the Croma TDI but the patents sold to Bosch, that was how VW got to use TDI engines..

:worship:

I was close though. :cool: Even better - both have the 1.9 litre 4 pots and 2.4 litre 5 pots, but the VW is basically a FIAT design. :slayer:

How much of the old DNA fed into the JTD (and later 2.0 TDI) is anyone's guess, but to be sure they wont have re-invented anything the didn't have to.

Last edited:
:worship:

I was close though. :cool: Even better - both have the 1.9 litre 4 pots and 2.4 litre 5 pots, but the VW is basically a FIAT design. :slayer:

How much of the old DNA fed into the JTD (and later 2.0 TDI) is anyone's guess, but to be sure they wont have re-invented anything the didn't have to.

VW uses a fuel injection system on the TDI engines that was based on the old Fiat technology, it has evolved a long way though.. the original TDI and JTD have nothing to do with each other, JTD is common rail while the original TDI was Unit injector (known in the Bosch/VW world as PD system).. the new TDI is common rail but uses Bosch technology while the JTD uses WEBER/Marelli (Fiat)..

the real advantage of VW is they overbuild the engines by a large margin while Fiat skimp on some parts, so for people looking for crazy gains in power a Fiat engine will need some work to get the same numbers a stock VW engine is capable of getting out.. old Fiat engines were an exception and were seriously overbuilt and had more power stock then advertised..

Back