Technical Punto JTD HGT parts supply??

Currently reading:
Technical Punto JTD HGT parts supply??

chevychase

Hello all, i have a Punto Mk2b HGT JTD and have had it for 7 yrs or so. Through my ownership simple maintenance has been made complicated by the lack of the bespoke parts only used on this model. Does anyone know of any parts suppliers that I might not be aware of? In the past I have used Lancia MUSA engine mount from the Netherlands s, imported oil cooler pipes from Italian eBay seller and adapted Transit inner CV boots all because the original parts are unavailable in the UK.

I now need to replace a gear cable linkage PT no. 55194344 but can't find anywhere. Would a similar cable from a 1.2 model be made to fit? Surely if it is slightly longer the excess could be lost in the routing, longer bends etc. The gear lever will only push and pull the designed amount. Opinions and thoughts please.

Hello all, i have a Punto Mk2b HGT JTD and have had it for 7 yrs or so. Through my ownership simple maintenance has been made complicated by the lack of the bespoke parts only used on this model. Does anyone know of any parts suppliers that I might not be aware of? In the past I have used Lancia MUSA engine mount from the Netherlands s, imported oil cooler pipes from Italian eBay seller and adapted Transit inner CV boots all because the original parts are unavailable in the UK.

I now need to replace a gear cable linkage PT no. 55194344 but can't find anywhere. Would a similar cable from a 1.2 model be made to fit? Surely if it is slightly longer the excess could be lost in the routing, longer bends etc. The gear lever will only push and pull the designed amount. Opinions and thoughts please.
Have you tried fiat for the gear cable. I bought one myself for my HGT multijet about 12 years ago now, direct from fiat. There was literally no one else making parts for this car back then. So the Fiat dealer was the only option.

I suppose the hard part is going to happen if the gearbox needs a different amount of travel to operate because the maximum amount of exposed end of the cable limits the total available travel used to operate the gearbox. You can operate the gear levers to select the gears with your hands. If you can tell me what amount of travel you need to operate the gears I can do the same on my 1.2 petrol. a photo of your hgt gear selector will help see what is needed.

If you photograph your broken cable it will help to see how your cable differs from a 1.2 punto cable since photos of 1.2 punto cables are available on the web.

Attachments

• punto cable.jpg
    punto cable.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
I found these pictures of the old cable from mine that snapped. This was 12 years ago so I can't give any measurements.

Attachments

• IMG_0495.jpg
    IMG_0495.jpg
    520.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0715.jpg
    IMG_0715.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 30
Thanks for the replies and going to the effort of posting photos. My cable hadn't broken as such but had become seized/sticky in the sleeve.i took it out and managed to create a "bath" to totally immerse the gearbox end of the cable in oil for a couple of days over the weekend. And have managed to get enough beyond the internal seal to lubricate and free up the cable. Refitted this afternoon and now have a slow centering gear stick. It'll do until I find a replacement somewhere. The cable measured 1125mm from ball joint to ball joint, 955mm from sleeve end to sleeve end. I'll pick up a more common 1.2 cable from somewhere and see if it is close, the working end is adjustable so may be able to increase the rod length with a barrel nut if it proves slightly shorter.

Thanks for the replies and going to the effort of posting photos. My cable hadn't broken as such but had become seized/sticky in the sleeve.i took it out and managed to create a "bath" to totally immerse the gearbox end of the cable in oil for a couple of days over the weekend. And have managed to get enough beyond the internal seal to lubricate and free up the cable. Refitted this afternoon and now have a slow centering gear stick. It'll do until I find a replacement somewhere. The cable measured 1125mm from ball joint to ball joint, 955mm from sleeve end to sleeve end. I'll pick up a more common 1.2 cable from somewhere and see if it is close, the working end is adjustable so may be able to increase the rod length with a barrel nut if it proves slightly shorter.

With the part numbers.. There is often several generations up 'updates'.
Worth searching them all 😉

This was exactly the symptoms mine had before it broke, the cable was breaking down inside the sleeve and it wouldn’t move smoothly anymore, you can see in the picture there is a kink in the sleeve and I think it was a fault with the Diesel HGT that the bend in the cable and length of the cable made it too tight and eventually it would kink the cable and pinch the cable inside the sleeve causing it to fray and eventually break

Back