Technical Punto MK2 JTD year 2001 - auxiliary belt / AC exclusion

Currently reading:
Technical Punto MK2 JTD year 2001 - auxiliary belt / AC exclusion

Hello guys,
I'm starting to hear ball bearing noise, probably from the AC pump.
AC was already not working, so it wouldn't be a problem to exclude the AC pump...
I'm wondering if someone has already done this conversion, using a shorter belt just to spin the alternator...

Thanks!!

Hello guys,
AC was already not working, so it wouldn't be a problem to exclude the AC pump...
I'm wondering if someone has already done this conversion, using a shorter belt just to spin the alternator...

Thanks!!
Yes , but not particularly on Fiats. The main thing is if the correct length shorter belt will not foul anything with it's slightly different route.
By the way are you positive the noise is coming from the aircon compressor pump?

No, I'm not sure that the noise is coming from AC pump, but I can bet on it: my car has 21 years, I always serviced it properly, but due to smog restrictions, I'm planning to scrap it in the (not so) near future.
My AC circuit gave up 2 years ago (probably for a leak) and I didn't bother to repair it.
Due to the fact that it's the original pump and the alternator is almost new, it's seems logic that the culprit is the AC pump.
I could probably get away changing parts on the AC pump just to get it to spin without being operational, but it seems more complicated. I will investigate further.

Hello guys,

Thanks!!
Bypassed the A/c compressor on one of my Stilo JTD 8 valve engines. If that is the engine you have, you need a 6PK887 belt. Route diagram is below.

Attachments

• Modified Drive Belt.jpg
    Modified Drive Belt.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 29
Bypassed the A/c compressor on one of my Stilo JTD 8 valve engines. If that is the engine you have, you need a 6PK887 belt. Route diagram is below.
Any good?I would still check nothing else making noise, guides tensioner bearings etc. Sometimes a long screwdriver carefully used as a listening stick/stethoscope .

Attachments

• DSCF0640.JPG
    DSCF0640.JPG
    445.1 KB · Views: 32
Back