General Its 1242 time baby !!!!! (56k Warning)

Currently reading:
General Its 1242 time baby !!!!! (56k Warning)

well now my thesis has been handed in i have more time to play with my car :slayer:

spent about 2 hours on it on sat and doen about 80% of the conversion (not bad for a novice) only help ive had is off my dad for getting the engine back in.

any way got 80% of the wires connected so not far off now :D

but ran in to a little problem with the alternator, are the 1242 alternators and cinq sporting alternators the same? there dont seems to be a place to put a plug on it :confused:

so far really chuffed with my progress, considering my history with mechanics (opp thats right i dont have any.lol.)

plans for the future are (pending when we move house)

engine back out to paint and anodise everything
re-spray the bay area
have a go at customs headlights
customs body work (when i learn how to use a mig welder)
then full re-spray (by me) i no people will say dont bother, but a lot of people said dont try the conversion my self and look where i am :p

Re: Its 1242 time baby !!!!!

99sei said:
spent about 2 hours on it on sat and doen about 80% of the conversion (not bad for a novice) only help ive had is off my dad for getting the engine back in.

but ran in to a little problem with the alternator, are the 1242 alternators and cinq sporting alternators the same? there dont seems to be a place to put a plug on it :confused:

...... i no people will say dont bother, but a lot of people said dont try the conversion my self and look where i am :p

Not hard is it? :D Its great when you actually get it going :).

The Cinq Sporting alternator is the one to use, the Punto 60 one uses a totally different drive arrangement I believe.

Im absolutely adoring that attitude you have. Its a pity its not more widespread. its just proof IMO that cheesy as it sounds but "believe in yourself and you can achieve anything" :).

yeah, use the cinqs alternator. :)

arseofbox said:
Im absolutely adoring that attitude you have. Its a pity its not more widespread. its just proof IMO that cheesy as it sounds but "believe in yourself and you can achieve anything" :).

its exactly my attitude, my first job on my car was changing the head gasket. 12months later i dropped a new engine. Me, chris and viv make it all up as we go along :D

I agree with Tom and Mark, even today I pulled off a mechanical feat I though was way beyond my remit but I managed it!

(discs and pads plus handbrake adjustment on a Porsche Boxster)

Liam

thought they were different, there is not socket for a plug to go in to. ohh well.

my attitude is unique cause im GINGER :p

its not the easiest of things when your doing it on your todd but with a friend would be easy.

im thinking bit of uni work and a quick little service on the rover then a day on the cinq on thurs :D

will try and keep you all posted.

going to have a crack at it any way, but is the alternator hard to get off with the engine in?

nah, piece of **** mate.

you may need to remove the os engine mount though to get it out of the way of the bolts - but thats not always the case.

On the respray BTW, I wouldnt recommend it, like the engine you can do it, doesnt mean it will look like when it came out the factory.

And plans for the 1242 engine? Or happy with that for the time being?

i no it wont be the best, but the car isnt in the best of state, and i need something to practice on :yum:

and with some of my plans for the car there is is going to be bits of filler every where, but we will see.

pending on my situation in the summer im aiming for 85-90bhp. got to do my research on engine mods first though

With or without a turbo? Thats a fairly high figure to aim for.

I assume you have emailed Tricker about his 95bhp non-tub?

Basically headwork, cam, inlet modification and breathing mods and a custom remap.

Entirely possible though, good luck!

spent about 4 hours on it today, every thing is connect and in place.

ran in to a problem though when filling the coolant tank, the manifold where the throttle body sits is leaking water does this mean

i have connect a wrong pipe some where?
or
need to replace that gasket?

apart from that should all be go after a few more hours work :devil:

the inlet manifold has water going through it, it goes through it and into the head. where abouts is it leaking from? careful its not getting into the cylinders!

Back