Technical Issue going into reverse

Currently reading:
Technical Issue going into reverse

alexjs

Hi all, just wanted to ask some other panda owners if they’d had a similar problem; occasionally when I engage reverse gear and lift the clutch with a tad of gas I can hear this spinning noise and the car doesn’t move, i.e. it’s not properly in gear. I’ll try again and it may want to go into reverse or may not. I always have the handbrake on when switching to reverse to make sure the car isn’t moving slightly. Any ideas? might it need to be checked out or just a me problem? Thanks!
If it adds any clarity It’s a 2010 eleganza.

As long as there no grinding rubbing noise as you try and select the gear, dragging clutch

It will almost certainly be a slight resitance in the gear cable, they rust internally

I had the same problem only on first but very occationly on reverse

It's an odd system, the gear lever movement front to back is less than the needed movement

There is a heavy mass on the gearbox end that once in momentum pulls the cable with it, too much resistance and the gearbox either struggles to fully engage or jumps out of gear

A quick test for this is to run some very thin oil down the inner cable at gearbox end, if it improves the selector cable is the probe, the thin oil is normally only a temporary fix

Last edited:
hmm so a new cable might be the answer. I can try running some thin oil to help it out but a replacement cable is what it needs long term.
Thanks for your reply!

Correct

But try and diagnose it first

Because I have the same problem does not mean yours is 100% the same

Lubricating the cable is how I diagnosed mine, but unfortunately I used grease to start with, bad idea, end up having to clean as much as possible off, oil is fine

Back