Is it legal?

Currently reading:
Is it legal?

silly mistake to make. next time he should use a solicitor.

Yea, but equally, the person he went into the back of was in a row of traffic, so there was nothing she could have done, so it was hardly her fault either.

treat it the same as any other horse on a public road- beep your horn and rev your engine. finger gestures are optional, but highly recommended.

:ROFLMAO: I know the feeling. Pisses me off when they don't say thanks to you for slowing down and ****ing up your MPG :mad:

i live in the land or horses, i must pass 3 a day. they think they own the road, spreading their muck all over the place and not obeying lane discipline (we drive AND RIDE in the left lane in this country damn it). they dont even have indicators ffs.

Yea, but equally, the person he went into the back of was in a row of traffic, so there was nothing she could have done, so it was hardly her fault either.
oh!!!!! in that case yes it is 100% your mates fault even though he coudnt realistically avoid it. she wasn't parked or broken down or having a nap, she was waiting in traffic, its a very different situation. all you can say is- UNLUCKY!

Last edited:
It needs an MOT to be kept on the road. If it doesn't have one and you get caught its a small fine - about £50 and no points.

If the car is checked and found to be unroadworthy you would be liable for all sorts of charges under the Construction and Use regulations, most of which carry points.

A current MOT is NOT proof of roadworthiness. MOT certificates actually have a warning on them that they are not proof that the vehicle is in a satisfactory condition.

A defect that renders a vehicle dangerous does not invalidate an MOT. Once issued an MOT remains valid until it expires.

If you'd parked it on the road before your MOT ran out you would have been fine, however as you know you have no MOT - which invalidates your insurance, you can no longer move it to the road - as to do so would require you "to be in control of a motor vehicle" - this is a very vast term as a drunken friend found when he was sat asleep in the drivers seat of his parked car. :rolleyes:

If you'd parked it on the road before your MOT ran out you would have been fine, however as you know you have no MOT - which invalidates your insurance, you can no longer move it to the road - as to do so would require you "to be in control of a motor vehicle" - this is a very vast term as a drunken friend found when he was sat asleep in the drivers seat of his parked car. :rolleyes:

No MOT dosen't void all insurance policy, just some (y)

If you'd parked it on the road before your MOT ran out you would have been fine, however as you know you have no MOT - which invalidates your insurance,
The law about MOTs does not distinguish between using and keeping. If its in a public place - car parks and verges as well as roads - it needs an MOT. No MOT doesn't automatically void insurance. A very few policies have a requirement for a current MOT, the vast majority just require the car to be in a roadworthy condition and MOT certs specifically state that a current certificate does not prove the car is fit for the road.

you can no longer move it to the road - as to do so would require you "to be in control of a motor vehicle" - this is a very vast term as a drunken friend found when he was sat asleep in the drivers seat of his parked car. :rolleyes:
There is no offence of being in control of a motor vehicle. There is an offence of being in charge of a motor vehicle when drunk, which has nothing at all to do with whether the car has an MOT or not.

to the people who think you need an MOT tp keep a car on a public road:

where did you get your info from?
can you provide links?

to the people who think you need an MOT tp keep a car on a public road:

where did you get your info from?
can you provide links?

venomco is a legal genius tbh lol

oh p.s didnt hear owt more about them fines, after the letters, although one lad that took it into his own hands, and decided to do nothing, pm'd me a month or so ago saying he got a letter saying they were taking him to court :ROFLMAO:. wonder how that went on :rolleyes:

I will make enquiries of the enforcement team and get back to you. At least, that is, if they get back to me.

you don't need an mot to keep a car on the road thats rubish surely

you need insurance encase it gets nicked or causes an incident and tax of course

but the only offence coupled with mot is driving with no mot surely if your not driving it then nothing they can do

my mate had totaly illegal tyres on his car just before ordering some new ones and he found the police looking closely at them one night as he was going to drive home so he quietly walked home instead

picked car up the next day and swiftly changed the tyres

the police stopped him the next time they cough him driving and did a "random stop check" only to discover there was nothing wrong with the car lol

again they have to actually catch you driving with the bald tyres not just parked same for mot i always thought

Last edited:
littlepip17 says you don't need an MOT to keep a car on the road.
Mr Justice Mitchell of the High Court says you do.
I leave it to those who read this thread to decide for themselves who is most likely to be right.

The rules for tyres, MOT and insurance are exactly the same. If the vehicle is is on a road or in a public place such as a car park, layby, roadside verge or hardshoulder it must have MOT, insurance and legal tyres - whether its parked, being pushed, towed or driven.

The only exception for all 3 is if its on a trailer with none of its wheels in contact with the ground. Cars can be driven to and from a pre booked MOT test without an MOT.

Back