Is it legal?

Currently reading:
Is it legal?

you only need MOT to use it on the road.
to keep it on the road you only need tax and insurance.

So your saying you can park it.

Not sure why you need insurance if it's left parked. I mean its not going to hit anyone, they're going to hit it. So you could be paying out 3rd party insurance for nothing :rolleyes:

So your saying you can park it.

Not sure why you need insurance if it's left parked. I mean its not going to hit anyone, they're going to hit it. So you could be paying out 3rd party insurance for nothing :rolleyes:

Because it could be parked in such a manner that any accident caused is your fault. For example if you parked in the middle lane of a motorway:p

if you keep it in an inappropriate place then you are liable, so insurance is required. it could also set on fire, damaging dave's new BMW next door. it could explode injuring poor ethel as she feeds the birds.

Last edited:
if a car passes it MOT its only roadworthy for the 45 minutes it on the station ramp... as soon as you get a pass certificate you can take it our on the road for 12 months even without brakes, with poor emmisions etc...

an MOT is pointless imo, it should be done every 3 / 6 months

an MOT is pointless imo, it should be done every 3 / 6 months
its going to be done every 2 years soon, same as in europe. they are also installing a CCTV network at every tester in the coutnry so they can randomly monitor tester as they work. you wont know when they are watching you, so testers will be less likely to put cars through the computer without testing them (which currently still happens A LOT).

its going to be done every 2 years soon, same as in europe. they are also installing a CCTV network at every tester in the coutnry so they can randomly monitor tester as they work. you wont know when they are watching you, so testers will be less likely to put cars through the computer without testing them (which currently still happens A LOT).

2years is goofd for me!!!!:D surely they can just wander about the car doing the test but pass a mates car that should fail anyway?

if you keep it in an inappropriate place then you are liable, so insurance is required. it could also set on fire, damaging dave's new BMW next door. it could explode injuring poor ethel as she feeds the birds.

It could explode in your driveway and injure people walking down the road, but you don't need insurance.

Never knew about the parking noobish thing. Thought if it's stationary it's auto the other persons fault - They've hit you.

It could explode in your driveway and injure people walking down the road, but you don't need insurance.
on private property it is very different. we are only talking about keeping it on a public road.

Most Easterly Pandas said:
if it's stationary it's auto the other persons fault - They've hit you.
not true, if you have parked somewhere that you should not, for example on a blind corner, then it is your fault for parking there.

not true, if you have parked somewhere that you should not, for example on a blind corner, then it is your fault for parking there.

What if you've broken down there :confused:

My friend went into the back of someone who had stopped around a blind corner, still his fault, cos she was stopped and he hit her.

I thought your only supost to drive as fast as you can see. EG, shouldn't be bombing around a corner at 60MPH because there may well be a car there stopped ;)

What if you've broken down there :confused:
it isnt your fault where or when you break down, but you're still responsible for your car. if you took measures to avoid a problem, such as putting a warning triangle on the road well before your car then you could transfer liability to the other party, otherwise you're liable.

the best thing to do is push your car off the road asap.

My friend went into the back of someone who had stopped around a blind corner, still his fault, cos she was stopped and he hit her.
who decided it was his fault?

I thought your only supost to drive as fast as you can see. EG, shouldn't be bombing around a corner at 60MPH because there may well be a car there stopped ;)
yes that is true, but at the same time you cant be expected to slow down to 15mph when the speed limit is 60mph.

Last edited:
Back