Off Topic ios6

Currently reading:
Off Topic ios6

No, I don't thik it will be. For so many people Apple products is like a religion and they can see no alternative path - like blind faith. cf, Ahmett.

Actually i use a Sony Vaio. I have always loved the multimedia focus of the sony, and my Full HD display on the 16.4 inch screen laptop is just beautiful.
I have the iphone because i find it the best looking phone in the market and the ios is simple enough to use.

I really don't think some errors on Apple's mapping software is going to see a huge difference in the number of people buying iPhone 5 handsets, if you want to spend £550 on a gadget to look at a map then you're a pretty sad individual, Apple Maps could be a drawing scribbled by a 5 year old with a twitch and it would make no difference to me, i still have google earth on my iPhone/iPad if i really need it, all this is about is Apple childishly throwing its toys out of the pram and not playing nice with the other boys, Apple never wanted to share its toys and now other companies have bigger better toys they act like a spoilt fat kid in a playground trying to put everyone else down and belittling them. when in truth Google make some good stuff and the Maps are the best in the market.

i don't doubt given time they will get up to par with the quality however i can't see apple reproducing anything like street view, the 3D models are good there are bound to be some errors because of the way the models are made, check out london if you have the chance.

I use a lot of Apple stuff but thats my choice i see it as a tool to do a job and the work i do is interlaced with Windows based machines, the problem as i see it is people who have recently become obsessed with apple as more as a 'life style choice' or fashion accessory they think they are 'Creative' and 'innovative' not realising that the computer you used doesn't make you creative you have to provide that your self.

so all in all iOS6 is the current software but it makes bugger all difference to me.

Good news for Fiat forum iPad users, iOS 6 now allows image uploads to the forum.... As proof

Here is my new house which we got accepted for today ! (y) :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 18
All you need to do is pinch to zoom into the button you want to press and it'll be as big as you like, easy to press irrespective of how porky your digits are :) its not rocket science.

you don't use an iPad obviously???

on this forum it is very easy to catch either the like or dislike button without ever intending to while using an iPad.

yes agreed you can pinch to zoom but most of us don't as we're far to busy being creative and arty to waste time pinching at the screen, we're apple users don't you know!! :D

you don't use an iPad obviously???

on this forum it is very easy to catch either the like or dislike button without ever intending to while using an iPad.

yes agreed you can pinch to zoom but most of us don't as we're far to busy being creative and arty to waste time pinching at the screen, we're apple users don't you know!! :D

No I don't, I use an ipad ambiguously.

If I try mash an area with several small buttons close together my android tablet creates a pop up window with the buttons all magnified so you can't bugger it up. :p

That sounds like a clever workaround until website developers can get their **** together. :)

Whoa... 700MB download... quite a chunk of my 5GB monthly limit - solution, do it at work (y)

I've decided to upgrade to os6 on my New iPad (3rd type), because the ability to upload photos will be very useful to me. I didn't think a 'Browse' would ever be possible on an Apple device as there should be no filesystem (no folders or filenames) under the application-centric paradigm. But then again, I guess the photos are stored in a DCIM-way, as files.

At least it should never be possible to, say, browse for a Notes file and upload that, since Notes files should be 'app data' only.

Android tablets seem to have a filesystem, I wonder if they still have file extensions, attribute bits, icons cache, etc. It reminds me of how the space shuttle booster rockets have a width related to the width of a horse's backside, because that was the width of the railway tracks.

Apple are not afraid to discard the past and move on, which is the only way that real improvements can happen. It's also the way to really stuff up the maps application - that is such a stupid adventure for them, as they're on the back foot from the start. Imagine if a car manufacturer introduced a new engine that runs on special fuel nearly as good as petrol - but that's OK because they're opening a worldwide chain of filling stations ;)

Thinking back to original iPhone, there were a number of thick fully-featured and very expensive devices running Windows CE dressed up as Windows Mobile. Most of the features didn't even work properly (GPS but no maps, for example, Activesync was unreliable) and the device would go off into a world of its own much too easily. No one seemed to think about how the device could be made simple to use and reliable. When I wrote my first text message on an iPhone, I was amazed by how much faster and easier it was rather than the slide-out keyboard on the HTC TyTnII or the multiple button presses on any 'dumbphone'.

Everything on an iPhone worked, easily, and the hardware was beautiful, too. That's why the iPhone seized the market. I'll be leaving my iPhone 4 on OS5, and might get a Samsung Galaxy Note as a phone instead - crude but effective for what I want in my pocket, because of the large screen. I'm just worried that it might not work properly - might need hours of tinkering to get it going, and might go off into its own little world too easily. I really can't be bothered searching for some missing SHTCTL.DLL or recompiling the kernel - this is the 21st century...

Apple have also replaced the dock connector so that none of my six accessories will fit - it looks way better now, with a symmetrical plug.

I'm also excited because FaceTime calling will now work without a WiFi connection - it can work over mobile data! - which will be like what the old 3G phones could do seven years ago (like my Motorola e770v). Welcome back to video calling!

I really expected something innovative, like a touch screen that moves when you touch it, like the click wheel introduced on the gen-4 iPod. Or a holographic display. Or colour e-Ink that looks great outdoors. Or a fuel cell battery. I'm sure Apple could have done any of these things if they hadn't wasted their resources re-inventing the Maps. I don't see the iPhone 5 as being anywhere near the innovation that the iPhone 4 was - that introduced a glass back, a metal frame that reduced signal strength, an amazing LCD, and an OS that let you start several apps at once and switch between them. Oh and WHITE! I actually ordered some low-quality parts and made my new iPhone 4 white straight away. It was so cool!

I wonder what Apple will do to replace YouTube - perhaps soon, everyone will be able to upload their own videos to iTunes. That will require some luck to get everyone away from YouTube.

Do you think there will be an iPad Nano? :)

-Alex

Last edited:
I wonder what Apple will do to replace YouTube - perhaps soon, everyone will be able to upload their own videos to iTunes. That will require some luck to get everyone away from YouTube.
most people have downloaded the official youtube app, its's way better than the old version that was on ios5

The biggest mistake (well one of them) I made was updating iPad to OS6, how I hate looking at Apple Maps !! A new APP which almost insisted to be downloaded has moved to Apple Maps, where I used to get satellite and option for street maps now all I get crummy useless maps and have to launch a maps app see what I want to, so much for Apple user experience.

Ability to upload pics, absolutely awesome feature !! its more of an insult, this feature should have been there on day one.

You can access the filesystem via ssh, but only jailbreak the old phone once you have a new phone in hand otherwise its back to the days when we used to re-install OSs into the morning.

Last edited:
Back