Off Topic ios6

Currently reading:
Off Topic ios6

Yes i am aware of that but i dont like it when people raise issues that dont exist just to find something to complain about!

Oh my goodness, I feel sick. I'm about to agree with 306maxi on something.... ;)

If that dig is aimed (even partially) at me, I can't say I'm really that bothered. However -- as much as I love Apple; have used their stuff for nigh on thirty years; have even, once, met Steve Jobs... -- looking at Maps, locally, and discovering that a very large proportion of 'our' villages are missing (either not labelled: as in the Stratford example; or cannot be found by searching...), does not fill me with much happiness. :(

This is a big blunder on Apple's part (although I agree that 'antennagate' was blown out of all proportion...): especially as what they have replaced with their version of Maps was so bl**dy good; and their (sadly typical) half-arsed apology (a la Nick Clegg) is not very savvy (although this is obviously some sort of modern business trend...). :eek:

Another "however"... -- I have spent a large proportion of my working life in the IT industry: and have yet to come across any company (large or small) that hasn't let its customers down in some, crucial way, at some point or other.... Sadly, it's the nature of business: especially -- even though I believe Maps has taken five years to develop (although, admittedly, it doesn't show...) -- when there is so much pressure (internally and externally) to bring things to market in line with competitors' offerings.... :shakehead:

I love my iPad (3); and am looking forward to getting my iPhone 5. I also couldn't live without my iPod Classic; and -- on the rare occasions it gets used (now that the iPad fulfils most of my computing needs...) -- my Mac mini. But I'm still not prepared, I'm afraid, to defend the release of what -- the more I 'play' with it -- is a cr*p product, not really release-ready.... Sorry.... :cry:

PS: Having said all that -- and then taken a deep breath... -- it still amazes me how much 'emotion' people will put into defending or attacking what, in the end, are pretty (in both senses) inanimate boxes....

Last edited:
It's a lot like 500's which have small annoying problems which shouldn't happen, yet people still buy them and loads of people trade in perfectly good ones for new ones......

Personally I'm quite happy buying another car with a fraction of the money I'd have lost in depreciation if I'd bought another 500.

you guys will love this one

Attachments

• 601585_10151227345203834_1119202714_n.jpg
    601585_10151227345203834_1119202714_n.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 20
Well yes i consider macbooks overpriced ridiculous machines. I use a Sony Vaio. Regarding Microsoft Outlook 2010, it certainly is a heavyweight, even with my i7 processor and 6 GB of Ram it still manages to freeze!

However the iphone really is something else and i think ios6 is a further evolution of that. I had many issues with google maps and i think apple maps is good enough. Give them a break, i am sure they will improve it over time, just like siri which is much better in ios6 than ios5. We need to be positive over such innovations, not find everything we can find wrong about it.
Anyway we can complain all we want, it still is one of the most cash rich companies in the world, if not the most cash rich. What 100,000,000,000 USD of cash??

And why should i pay to have apps on my phone? At least with apple maps i get it for free with my iphone 4s and above.

Very odd comments Ahmett, In one breath you are saying Apple is the biggest company and then telling people to stop complaining and be positive over innovations, not sure who you are speaking for but the people I know and respect are positive over innovations especially the ones which work, btw maps is not an innovation and removing youtube is definitely not an innovation.

The point you and another poster have missed is CONTENT, there is no decent content which Google built over the last 7-10 years.

Imagine logging onto FiatForum 500 tomorrow and finding all posts have gone even the useful Stickies. First you can’t believe what happened because you recall the moderators telling you there are great Innovations coming up (and we all cuddled our iPads to bed reading the last post of winter tyres) but the more you dig into this fiasco you find the management had political differences with some forum members and decided to remove all content and asked the users to start all over again. Some members were happy and said “hey I can still post”, well yes you can sir, but have you noted there is no content and sure we all agree the site looks damn pretty.

Vectoring will be sorted within a few weeks due to the bad publicity and Apple are no doubt taking in all the free feedback. Sadly maps, content and youtube are part of life.

worth a flick a well-balanced article; http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/20/3363914/wrong-turn-apple-ios-6-maps-phone-5-buggy-complaints

Last edited:
Very odd comments Ahmett, In one breath you are saying Apple is the biggest company and then telling people to stop complaining and be positive over innovations, not sure who you are speaking for but the people I know and respect are positive over innovations especially the ones which work, btw maps is not an innovation and removing youtube is defiantly not an innovation.

The point you and another poster have missed is CONTENT, there is no decent content which Google built over the last 7-10 years.

Imagine logging onto FiatForum 500 tomorrow and finding all posts have gone even the useful Stickies. First you can’t believe what happened because you recall the moderators telling you there are great Innovations coming up (and we all cuddled our iPads to bed reading the last post of winter tyres) but the more you dig into this fiasco you find the management had political differences with some forum members and decided to remove all content and asked the users to start all over again. Some members were happy and said “hey I can still post”, well yes you can sir, but have you noted there is no content and sure we all agree the site looks damn pretty.

Vectoring will be sorted within a few weeks due to the bad publicity and Apple are no doubt taking in all the free feedback. Sadly maps, content and youtube are part of life.

Now THAT is an analogy!

Well yes i consider macbooks overpriced ridiculous machines. I use a Sony Vaio. Regarding Microsoft Outlook 2010, it certainly is a heavyweight, even with my i7 processor and 6 GB of Ram it still manages to freeze!

However the iphone really is something else and i think ios6 is a further evolution of that. I had many issues with google maps and i think apple maps is good enough. Give them a break, i am sure they will improve it over time, just like siri which is much better in ios6 than ios5. We need to be positive over such innovations, not find everything we can find wrong about it.
Anyway we can complain all we want, it still is one of the most cash rich companies in the world, if not the most cash rich. What 100,000,000,000 USD of cash??

And why should i pay to have apps on my phone? At least with apple maps i get it for free with my iphone 4s and above.

Give them a break? was there a time constraint on Apple,
or were Google removing permission for them to allow the Google maps app?
If not,why the rush to push out an unfinished work and remove Google maps?
This is a high end(on price) phone,its not innovative in the reals where you can allow for them pushing the boundaries

You are not missing much stick with IOS 5 but try it out in Apple Store for the fun of it.

Good advice arorat. Given the 'poorness' of the Apple maps plus most of the features wouldn't benefit a 3Gs. Was surprised at the comment that a meatier o/s runs faster. I did think about updating the OHs ipad 3 but I'm going to hold off.

Back