Off Topic ios6

Currently reading:
Off Topic ios6

ahmett

Prominent member
Hello guys, have you tried ios6 yet? I put it on my iphone yesterday and the GPS really was amazing. Milimiter accurate as long as you have signal and in my opinon, there is not no need to have a GPS in the car if you have the iphone. So that brings me a question. Do you guys have stands for your iphone in the car to use as a gps?

I always found gps's very very distracting so i am not sure if i will get one, although the amazingness of ios6's mapping system (apple maps) is making me reconsider my position.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have an iPhone but my wife does (iPhone 4). She is technologically illiterate and pretty much doesn't know how to do anything bar send emails and texts and use the calendar.

We did once try to use it as a sat nav in the 500 when we were trying to find a restaurant near Oxford. I don't know whether we were using the wrong app or whatever but it was awful - apart from anything else the voice was way too quiet (the iPhone's voice, not my wife's, I hasten to add - she definitely doesn't have that problem).

I know that "proper" built in sat nav's cost silly money but to me there was absolutely no comparison. Would be happy to be told that I was doing it wrong though and in a couple of steps could use the iPhone as a sat nav effectively (without buying an app as we are normally in the other car when we need sat nav).

I use TomTom on the iphone and its amazing. Well worth the money.
I have one of the rubber type cases so it just sits on top of my steering cowell wedged in-between that and the dash cluster. It never moves an inch despite my zealous driving.
Its so clear at a glance where you need to go so i dont need sound, but you set the sound high and its easily audible or you can just connect through bluetooth and it cuts the music to give you instructions.

I've been using CoPilot on an HTC TouchPro 2 for about three years... -- stuck to the windscreen with a generic cradle. However, having tried the Maps app on my iPad (3), last night, after upgrading to iOS 6 -- and having ordered the new iPhone -- I think this is definitely going to be the way forward...! :D

I just hope the traffic information is as good as that provided by CoPilot. The routing looks pretty good, though... -- and I like the fact you get alternative routes on-screen (as you did in the previous Google version...), rather than having to dive through settings, as I did with CoPilot. :)

One note of caution! Having GPS on used to eat the battery on my TP2: so I've always made sure (after one journey where I didn't: and it died about three miles away from my destination...!) that it's plugged into the power socket in the car...! (Next up will have to be a powered hub for my bike...!) :eek:

I have a TomTom which funnily enough works really well as a satnav, that way my phone can stay in my pocket be put on charge etc then if some one calls me my TomTom tells me, i can answer via the screen of my Tomtom, i can also plug my iPod classic into it control the iPod from the screen of the TomTom and route the music through the speakers of my car. its super!

iPhone satnav is handy if you're on foot especially around london but i woundn't use it in the car. also how do you propose iOS6 has made the accuracy of GPS any better? its still the same hardware picking up the same signal additionally Apple's mapping software uses much lower res - images than the old google maps, the 3D mapping is cool but only covers a very few select areas

I have been using ios6 since june on my 4s and the standard sat nav that comes with apple maps is good but if you are in an area with no connection it will not work. That can be a big problem.
The apple maps are no way as good as google maps. Google hopefully make a standalone app soon.
I have tomtom on the phone that does everything but it's not free.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still stuck on ios 5 on a iPhone 3GS and looking at the improvements on the ios6 it lists the following...
Apple designed vector based maps
Turn by turn navigation with spoken directions on the iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, iPad, etc.
Real time traffic info
Flyover for photo-realisitic....
Local search....
Siri integration...

On ocassions I use google maps to double check the destination typed in on the sat nav. You'd be surprised at the number of counties that have similar town names.

Currently using the Tom Tom live 2 with the trapster app on the iPhone 3GS. Have found that with all the updates on safety alerts and 'enforcement points' that after 3 days of charging around the country the leisure centre becomes a haven of no gizmos.

P.S. RUI - do you plan putting an ad up on the classfieds with a price ?

I like it.
Don't forget, there are no shortage of miserable people in the world who have nothing better to do than complain about everything no matter how good it is.

Errrr I'd be pretty unhappy if I got sent to the wrong town 7 miles away......

Errrr I'd be pretty unhappy if I got sent to the wrong town 7 miles away......

well write in the post code then thats what i do. its the most accurate thing. i never trust the street names especially in greece or turkey where there are at least 20 identical street names in one city. in nyc they are far ahead its simply west 56 and 5th avenue so you dont even really need gps!

I like it.
Don't forget, there are no shortage of miserable people in the world who have nothing better to do than complain about everything no matter how good it is.

Ahmett sorry dude, I have been using Apple since Apple II and am kind of a fan to their attention to design but use Dell as main PC, I swear by MS Outlook, but I have to say IOS6 does not bring any joy.

There is more to IOS 6 than just maps but as Maps is the topic, Apple have blatantly annoyed most of the iDevice users out there by providing a substandard maps service, sadly the users cannot do much other than to complain or revert to IOS 5. Google spent a lot of money, time and effort to dominate the maps area and provided amazing (yes) content-rich features, Apple has a long way to go to match the decent searchable content on maps. The 3d stuff is kind of a gimmick when all you need is decent topology. Agreed turn-by-turn built in is useful but tomtom and navfree (in early stages of life) are excellent standalone apps.

I updated the iPad 2 yesterday and refuse to update my iPhone 4s until Google launch their Maps App and provide a native (as good as before) App for youtube which Apple have also removed. Its all political nonsense to the detriment of the user experience, which goes against Apples rules but Google is now competition !!

Just a bit more… IOS 6 is pretty large and dare I say may have verbose coding which makes old devices slow to make you run out and buy the next brighter, longer, faster iPhone 5. The older iPhone4S btw was also brighter and faster and a great piece of kit, but now you need an A6 processor to run the monstrous software.

Personally stay on IOS 5 unless content is not an issue, siri and other features are good but still wait for 6.01 update as the masses give feedback.

btw: you can still use Google Maps via iDevice browser, and youtube via iPhone App, both a bit cluncky.

Last edited:
I'm still stuck on ios 5 on a iPhone 3GS and looking at the improvements on the ios6 it lists the following...
Apple designed vector based maps
Turn by turn navigation with spoken directions on the iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, iPad, etc.
Real time traffic info
Flyover for photo-realisitic....
Local search....
Siri integration...

On ocassions I use google maps to double check the destination typed in on the sat nav. You'd be surprised at the number of counties that have similar town names.

Currently using the Tom Tom live 2 with the trapster app on the iPhone 3GS. Have found that with all the updates on safety alerts and 'enforcement points' that after 3 days of charging around the country the leisure centre becomes a haven of no gizmos.

P.S. RUI - do you plan putting an ad up on the classfieds with a price ?

You are not missing much stick with IOS 5 but try it out in Apple Store for the fun of it.

IOS 6 is pretty large and dare I say may have verbose coding which makes old devices slow to make you run out and buy the next brighter, longer, faster iPhone 5. … now you need an A6 processor to run the monstrous software.

Why do you make up this nonsense? My three year old iPhone 3Gs felt a tad sluggish with iOS5, but after the update to iOS6 it’s snappy again.

BTW, to try the Maps app, I clicked the icon for directions and after entering 3 letters it presented me with the name of the friend whose address I was looking for, which it had pulled from the address book. As far as any other merits or demerits go, I’ll wait until I’ve actually used the product. Maybe you should try the same.

Why do you make up this nonsense? My three year old iPhone 3Gs felt a tad sluggish with iOS5, but after the update to iOS6 it’s snappy again.

BTW, to try the Maps app, I clicked the icon for directions and after entering 3 letters it presented me with the name of the friend whose address I was looking for, which it had pulled from the address book. As far as any other merits or demerits go, I’ll wait until I’ve actually used the product. Maybe you should try the same.

For god's sake, it's just a phone, and this is a car forum. Take a chill pill.

Last edited:
I updated my own iphone 3GS yesterday to 6, but for no reason other than it's a free upgrade and my iphone is a long term aquisition as I bought it on PAYG a couple of years back, so keeping it updated with the latest OS seems logical to me.

As for using the iphone as a GPS in the car, not my cup of tea, I absolutely prefer my TomTom 820 HD live traffic. It's got me out of a couple of major traffic delays on the M1 already literally saving me hours of being sat in queues. As for using the TomTom app for iphone, far too small for me anyway.

Back