Technical Intermittent bulb/battery warning light

Currently reading:
Technical Intermittent bulb/battery warning light

oldmanhouse

Hi all. My GP has intermittently been throwing up a warning light for two things these past couple of weeks:
1) Battery light (PAS failed at the same time)
2) Stop/brake light bulb failure

The bulb light goes away on its own, sometimes after tapping the brakes. The PAS failure/battery light was a one-off and hasn't occurred since.

I replaced the battery 18 months ago so am hoping it's not dead. It read 12.29v on a multimeter yesterday after being sat overnight. It reads 13.2-14v @2000rpm depending on which electrical accessories are powered on at the time. I'm assuming the increase in voltage means the alternator is good.

So a couple of questions:
1) Based on the voltages alone, is my battery dead? I read it should be 12.6v minimum at rest, which it's not.
2) If my grounding is messed up, could the dying bulb cause other problems?

I might replace the stop bulb just to rule that out, as it's a cheap fix. If it's come up as dead once, I'm guessing it'll keep occuring until it finally dies permanently?

Hi all. My GP has intermittently been throwing up a warning light for two things these past couple of weeks:
1) Battery light (PAS failed at the same time)
2) Stop/brake light bulb failure

The bulb light goes away on its own, sometimes after tapping the brakes. The PAS failure/battery light was a one-off and hasn't occurred since.

I replaced the battery 18 months ago so am hoping it's not dead. It read 12.29v on a multimeter yesterday after being sat overnight. It reads 13.2-14v @2000rpm depending on which electrical accessories are powered on at the time. I'm assuming the increase in voltage means the alternator is good.

So a couple of questions:
1) Based on the voltages alone, is my battery dead? I read it should be 12.6v minimum at rest, which it's not.
2) If my grounding is messed up, could the dying bulb cause other problems?

I might replace the stop bulb just to rule that out, as it's a cheap fix. If it's come up as dead once, I'm guessing it'll keep occuring until it finally dies permanently?

Hi .

Read the FAQs.. random electric issues ;)

Battery is probably fine. With a compromised earth upsetting the cars network.

Charlie

Ground, connection, moisture … as Charlie said ;-)

Hi .

Read the FAQs.. random electric issues ;)

Battery is probably fine. With a compromised earth upsetting the cars network.

Charlie

Thanks both, I will have a poke about and look for some loose ground connections. If one is loose, does that cause problems throughout all the electrical system or just a few accessories that are connected to that ground?

Back