Insurence for young and convicted drivers :/

Currently reading:
Insurence for young and convicted drivers :/

Can start by removing the high priced excess added to some policies, then throw in legal cover, breakdown cover and cover cover at no extra cost!

And the word sporting on say a punto for instance making the insurance rocket? what aload of bull...

No such thing as include it at no extra cost. Your still paying for it and they don't give anything for nothing, they're a business after all not a charity, so intact including all that as standard and not allowing you to opt out as most currently allow will increase your premiums further!!

And as for the last bit, it's all stats related. More sporting smashed up / stolen as they're more desirable. It's not bull, but statistics ;)

Or was just a **** driver managing to demolish a lamp post and flip a car ina car park!!

Stats show an uninsured driver is 10 times more likely to have an accident, similar to someone on the phone or at the DD limit. So yes I am for real!

^^^^^^^

this must be a DRIVE BY THE BOOK driver, the fact is nobody is perfect and everyone answers the phone every now or then whilst driving, or does a dodgy overtake or maybe even hepl out a friend thats soon to pass his test

all i was saying is dont be so harsh he made a mistake he LEARNT the hard way so give him a break if you cant give him some good helpful advice then refrain from putting a comment on

Lee

so if you had no choice other than to take a lift from either someone without insurance or someone who was drunk, you wouldn't be able to chose?

What a stupid question.

I wouldn't condone either and as such would use another method. I have legs and have no issues with walking, or getting a Taxi etc.

What a stupid question.

I wouldn't condone either and as such would use another method. I have legs and have no issues with walking, or getting a Taxi etc.

neither would i, just making a point.

obviously it's a ridiculous scenario, but if you HAD to choose, you wouldn't be bothered either way..right? ;)

Last edited:
neither would i, just making a point.

obviously it's a ridiculous scenario, but if you HAD to choose, you wouldn't be bothered either way..right? ;)

To many variables, but assuming uninsured driver did have a full license, assuming it was a life threatening reason for needing to get a lift I'd go with the uninsured driver, but not forgetting the drunk driver will be uninsured anyway as all my policies have always had the 'policy is void' if convicted of DD after having crashed etc.

No such thing as include it at no extra cost. Your still paying for it and they don't give anything for nothing, they're a business after all not a charity, so intact including all that as standard and not allowing you to opt out as most currently allow will increase your premiums further!!

And as for the last bit, it's all stats related. More sporting smashed up / stolen as they're more desirable. It's not bull, but statistics ;)

With premiums like that, they should be, but either way, other companies loss when i remove them options so its fine by me ^^, that business is clearly loosing money.

Don't believe in half of the statistics, what they should be looking at is the amount of uninsured drivers on the road/driving their dads cars and technically using the car as illegally insured due to the price of premiums, i bet that'd throw some shocking results up.

What a stupid question.

I have an issue with a taxi blaring 50 down 30's, happens frequently down town on a saturday night, as for legs, i like to use them but not for 20 miles damit!

Last edited:
To many variables, but assuming uninsured driver did have a full license, assuming it was a life threatening reason for needing to get a lift I'd go with the uninsured driver, but not forgetting the drunk driver will be uninsured anyway as all my policies have always had the 'policy is void' if convicted of DD after having crashed etc.

exactly, and who do you think is more likely to kill someone, someone drunk or someone who hasn't bother to buy insurance?

Agreed about the fronting, but what a lot of companies do is take the money, even though they know they're fronting, and then refuse to payout should son have an accident, but keep the premium. So again insurance company is winning, but the poor sod he hits then looses out as they've then technically been hit by an uninsured driver and suffers the costs (n)

exactly, and who do you think is more likely to kill someone, someone drunk or someone who hasn't bother to buy insurance?

Depends if the uninsured driver has a driving liscense vs how drunk a drink driver is. Tbh I'd say someone just over the DD limit is just as dangerous as an unlicensed driver, which is what the majority of uninsured drivers seem to be.

Last edited:
Yeah i know what you mean, shame really, i can slightly understand the variaty of area premium changes too, busy area's more risk, the gender bias, is very annoying and the age one, still a bit unsure about, i think a 21/25 year old could be as stupid as a 19 year old, although everyone argues the experience issue, i just think theres too many variables that could account for a crash!

God i hate premiums! happy to know after 1 year they do eventually come down though haha!

:ROFLMAO:

all i was meaning though, 2 drivers, one hasn't bought insurance, the other regularly drink drives, i know who i'd put money on coming a cropper first.

i've known 3 people too have massive crashes due to drink driving, all ok and nobody else hurt thank god!

at the end of the day, he was just letting his mate have a drive of his car in a car park before his mate had his driving test, not racing around the streets drunk, which in my book is 10x worse.

God i hate premiums! happy to know after 1 year they do eventually come down though haha!

Do please let me in on your secret...

They're a big cause for premiums increaseing across the board IMO. 30% a year may not be much for an OAP paying £100 a year, but that on a youngsters £2k+ is crippling.

Every year my premiums have gone up, this last year has been about the largest increase - despite not costing the industry.
And it's nothing to do with where I live either, according to the police website thingy, there's nothing flagged within half a mile of my house and nor do I drive a 'hot hatch', in fact, my car is one of the ugliest on the roads.
Yet no insurance company can really explain why - aside from the usual "premiums have gone up across the board"

Hi guys. Thanks for all the advice. You've given me a few ideas as what to do next. Seen as am goin to uni for the next two years i've decided to hire my car out to my parents and start cycling.

Thanks also for all the other comments guys. I kinda expected it tbh. I get it everyday off everyone i meet so am use to it now.

Its not just my licence and insurence and dignity i lost but i've also lost a girlfriend and best mate. Its f##ked me well up. The reason, i live in really rural area. It costs £20 to get a taxi into town so thats why i was reli desprate.

Just to answer a few questions for people.
1. I wasn't herd in the crown court, it was the magistrates but it was so busy on the day i went, i had to wait 3hours for my court apperence which because it was busy they had judges from the crown court come to get everybody through. I could have appealed because the convictions i was given i court wern't actully the convictions i ended up with. But i didn't because it would have been cheaper to accept my punishment than to afford court fees etc. I wish i had now thou.

2. It wasn't the speed that flipped the car. The car park is on two levels with meter wide grass embankment between them. He was goin between 20 and 30mph. He practiced his manouvors first slowly then drove round the car park a few times. Unfortunaly he got faster each time and misjudged the corner, hit the kerb and paniced. I shouted stop but instead of slammin the break on, he slammed the gas on by mistake. over the lampost which rolled the car down the enbankment.

Thanks again guys. Anymore questions, just ask.

Oh and we paid for all the damages including lampost etc so we didn't involve the insurence company. So they're still £3000 better off.

Last edited:
I wasn't herd in the crown court, it was the magistrates but it was so busy on the day i went, i had to wait 3hours for my court apperence which because it was busy they had judges from the crown court come to get everybody through.
This just isn't possible. Crown court judges have a different jurisdiction (and are paid more) and are not allowed to sit in the magistrates courts. Also they are much busier in the crown court and there isn't the time to spare.

We do get days when we are so busy that we can't get everybody in during the standard court day, so we either work late (as we did dealing with the recent riots) or adjourn everybody to a later date. There is no power to call in a crown court judge.

i didn't because it would have been cheaper to accept my punishment than to afford court fees etc.
When a conviction is overturned on appeal all the costs are paid, so a successful appeal costs nothing.

Last edited:
Have you tried an Insurance Broker? All of them are over the phone and they will do anything to get your business, as it is their job at risk if they do not get enough people signed up in the year.

I got a quote for a 1.4 Fiat Grande Sport for £3004, being 17 years old and passing my test a week ago... (not actually passed, just getting quotes)

An Insurance broker then quotes around £2300... bringing my premiums down almost £700! Its a helping hand especially when you are still attending school.

Also, try and increase your Voluntary Excess to about £2000... this brings your insurance down about £900 / £1000 ish... just the thing is if you have a crang you are feeked.

I guess that would make you driver safer knowing you can NOT crash... or another simple resolution which brings it to £35 per month, is getting a monthly bus pass.

Also, try and increase your Voluntary Excess to about £2000... this brings your insurance down about £900 / £1000 ish... just the thing is if you have a crang you are feeked.

I guess that would make you driver safer knowing you can NOT crash... or another simple resolution which brings it to £35 per month, is getting a monthly bus pass.

I did that in the past - a case of putting my money where my mouth was, years of claim-free motoring etc.
However, a couple of years back an asian guy came out of a side street and piled into the side of my BiL's car. As my BiL stopped & got out to exchange pleasantries, the asian guy drove off. The police traced the car to a nearby garage which had sold the car that morning. The address given was a lodging house for a dozen asian blokes, none of whom knew the name given to the garage, the car also had no insurance.
My BiL's insurance had to stand the cost of repairs & my BiL had to shell out his excess to get the car back from repair. Although down as non-fault, his premiums went up & he never got his excess back.
This got me thinking. Although I am certain of my own abilities, there are just too many uninsured drivers out there or people who would drive off, so I decided to take the hit on my premiums - and it really doesn't seem to make that much of a difference

Back