Insurence for young and convicted drivers :/

Currently reading:
Insurence for young and convicted drivers :/

JackyBoy1993

Ok so am in some real deep **** and it just keeps getting worse.:(

First i might aswell explain what i've got convictions for so early into my driving life and what they are...
Firstly I've got 3 convictions; Driving without due care (6points), Aiding and Abetting driving in acordance with the correct licence (£205 fine) and Aiding and Abetting driving without insurence.

The reasons for these convictions. I let a friend pracice in my car on a car park for his driving test which he had the following week (and failed). He lost control of the vehicle, ran into a lamppost and flipped the car on its roof totally destroying my beautiful 1.2 Punto active sport :cry:. Someone then called the police and all hell let loose. I rang a recovery and the cops turned up first. My mate paid half of what the car was worth £1100 and we were both expecting a court summons for the convictions. I had to pay for my car to be un-inpounded and then scrapped by the police. I then went and bought a nice new fiat punto exactly like the old one if not better and was driving around as normal.

I then got my court summons in May but my mates summons had also been sent with mine. Bit confused so i rang the courts and they said to send it back so we would both be in court together. Went to court, he wasn't there. Bit of a mix up in court and i ended up being sentenced infront of a high up lady judge from the crown court and was convicted with the above. In court the prosecution said that because they'd cocked up, he was given a verbal warning. Bit unfair as he was driving the car.

Anyways because of the points DVLA revoked my licence as I only passed my test last september. Over the two months i had a provisonal licence for I only had it for 3days including the day of my 2nd theory test and my practical test because they kept cocking up the endorsements and DoB even my name. Anyways I did my test again and thought that would be the end of it.

My driving instructor told me i had to tell my insurence company of my endorsements once i passed my test. I hadn't bothered telling them I had my licence revoked as i didn't want my primiums to change and i would be driving my car anyway. So I rang them up and they told me they'd get back to me. They did a week later and told me that I had 7days left on my policy. I was gutted as I only had a month and 3weeks left on the full policy. I never got a refund and my first full years no claims was quashed even though i never claimed for the incident :mad:.

So i had a week to find insurence for an 18year old male who had only past his test 10months ago, has three convictions, 6 points and an insurence cancelation. It was very hard. I've tried comparison sites, specailist insurers, direct quotations and even trader policys. I was getting quotes for over £10,000 for a 1.2 punto!!:eek: Anyways the best quote I got it down to was £4,399 from the insurence factory :/ and for £25 more Aviva. Totally out of my price range. I was already paying £100 a month for my car finance and the monthly repayments were more than my parents morgage. So after all i've been through I've got a car am paying for but can't drive, a fine am paying off and am goin to uni in september and really do need some wheels. Oh and the other kid, (we don't talk anymore), has his own car, with quite cheap insurence, no points on his licence and goes on 3 holidays a year. I've had to take on another job just to pay for my car every month.

So i need some help guys. Any suggestions welcome as long as there not silly.

Honestly, use your feet. That's the only suggestion I can think of, probably not the one you wanted to hear but it's the most feasible one.

I hope you've learnt the errors of your ways and are looking for guidance, unfortunately that's the only thing I can suggest. Unless you're on more than £30k a year and can financially find £4k for insurance, even then you'd be mentally insane.

Sorry to say this. :( Im just glad im not in your shoes car wise.

Ok so am in some real deep **** and it just keeps getting worse.:(

First i might aswell explain what i've got convictions for so early into my driving life and what they are...
Firstly I've got 3 convictions; Driving without due care (6points), Aiding and Abetting driving in acordance with the correct licence (£205 fine) and Aiding and Abetting driving without insurence.

your problem is that from an insurers point of view you are about as high risk as it gets
you need a super low rated car
so the likes of a classic panda
you need to keep your miles low
try all the companies including those advertisisng for high risk groups
however you will be paying big money regardless

you may wish to seriously look at getting a push bike for a year at least

The really sad thing is, even with my NCD which i was just off a month getting my insurence would have gone down to £2300! or even less. If only I took a bit longer to pass my test. I believe its all fate. My punishment was losing a well loved car, the punishment from the courts, losing my licence. I've worked so hard, spent so much money only to be knocked back down at the last fence by my insurence company. I payed £3000 up front in september last year and not a single penny back. If they'd have give me a refund thats still £500 back. Its just not fair at all.

The really sad thing is, even with my NCD which i was just off a month getting my insurence would have gone down to £2300! or even less. If only I took a bit longer to pass my test. I believe its all fate. My punishment was losing a well loved car, the punishment from the courts, losing my licence. I've worked so hard, spent so much money only to be knocked back down at the last fence by my insurence company. I payed £3000 up front in september last year and not a single penny back. If they'd have give me a refund thats still £500 back. Its just not fair at all.

Shouldn't have let your 'mate' use your car when he wasn't insured ;).

The Punto, regardless of engine size is one of the worst cars to get insurance for. if you have a fault accident you lose 2 years worth of NCB as well.

breaking motoring law isn't worth it. unfortunately you are going to have those convictions for 5 years on your insurance. sounds cheaper to get a bus pass or pay for a taxi everywhere.

Shouldn't have let your 'mate' use your car when he wasn't insured ;).

I'm sure he realises that now, it doesn't really help the OP to point out the blatently obvious.

Having run a few searches recently on confused.com b4db0y insurance keeps coming up for people with convictions, points etc. Have a look in the back of mags like fast and modified, etc too, it seems when you look at the insurers listed there that the mags are aimed at people with problems!

One thing I have noticed, which a couple of people have touched on, the word 'Sport' in your car, even though it's really not much different to a normal 1.2 8v Active, is enough to raise the insurance group, so looking at something much more basic (like the old Pandas, or even just an Active Punto) is very sound advice, or indeed using the opportunity to get super fit cycling everywhere ;)

Last edited:
I payed £3000 up front in september last year and not a single penny back. If they'd have give me a refund thats still £500 back. Its just not fair at all.

you were over 9 month of the policy so as per your paperwork policy (I'm assuming as most are the same) why would they give you a refund?

Err, hang on. What isn't fair is the rest of us paying ever increasing premiums because YOU let your dozy mate drive without insurance - thanks a lot.

Err, hang on. What isn't fair is the rest of us paying ever increasing premiums because YOU let your dozy mate drive without insurance - thanks a lot.

i think he means he bore the brunt of it while his mate who actually drove it and flipped the car got a verbal warning.

he must of been going some speed to flip it onto it's roof in a car park :eek: but i doubt you need anyone else to state the obvious, i'm sure you've learnt all that the hard way.

That is tough though mate, as said i'd give those insurers a go at the back of car tuning magz, maybe even one of those insure the box type things where they can keep a check on your driving?

i ended up being sentenced infront of a high up lady judge from the crown court and was convicted with the above.

Something very wrong here. The words "aiding and abetting" are not used in the context of motoring offences - the words "permit use without insurance/licence etc" are used.

The offences listed are all summary only. That is to say that they can't be tried or sentenced by the crown court, only by a magistrates court.

he found an empty carpark and his dozy mate who said he could drive couldnt.
not like he let his mate have a go on the road

I learnt to reverse in works carpark

you're forgetting a lot of people on here are perfect and have never even thought of doing something dodgey or illegal, it seems most were even born with many years of experience too it seems.

The poor lad made a mistake and wanted some advice and has ended up getting some replies I knew he would, so many threads are ending up like this one on here these days and I'm not the only one who has noticed.

50cc Bike is all i can say, car prices seem off the chart so getting insured seems unlikely :(.

Back