Technical Indicator problem

Currently reading:
Technical Indicator problem

Pandaeve

So I looked outside my window Thursday and Saturday night and all my right hand side indicators were randomly flashing. The only way to stop it, is to unplug the battery
Has anyone else had this problem? Is there anyway to fix it? Not sure if it’s the cold causing it as it was warmer Friday night and it was fine

before plugging the battery back in check its resting voltage

Most of the lights are controlled by the body computer that doesn't like low volts

the only common fault I know of with the indicators is the earth on the rear connectors but that isnt the case here.

I will wait until the battery has been checked before suggesting any other checks as they will just fill up the tread and may turn out to be pointless

before plugging the battery back in check its resting voltage

Most of the lights are controlled by the body computer that doesn't like low volts

the only common fault I know of with the indicators is the earth on the rear connectors but that isnt the case here.

I will wait until the battery has been checked before suggesting any other checks as they will just fill up the tread and may turn out to be pointless

I only had a new battery put in, in the summer but it could be as I’ve hardly used it cause of working from home. Thank you

have you got a multimeter / voltmeter

is better to confirm before jumping to a conclusion

if not even a cheap one from a poundstrecher or the like will do for this. They are around £2. Not seen one lately. But not been looking. I bought one to fix some wiring when I was a few hundred mile from home. Did the job

there always Good for checking fuse at home

I was looking on a China site last night. There are some really High quality ones for around £10 although I would use the on anything higher than mains.

No I don’t have one but just looked on Amazon and they had one for £8.99 so just bought one

Check the connections to the body computer for wetness.
Then check under the bonnet, in the scuttle below the windscreen. That area is supposed to drain though two rubber (plastic) drain tubes (duckbills), but they clog up with rotting leaves. If the chamber fills with rain, it will overflow into the car, and will often douse the computer.

I’m not very good with cars, where is the body computer? Oh I’ll check in the scuttle when I next go outside

I’m not very good with cars, where is the body computer? Oh I’ll check in the scuttle when I next go outside

behind a removable plastic panel to the right of the steering column assuming its a right hand drive car

At the bottom of the dash, to the right of the steering column, are two screws. Need a No2 philips, not pozidrive, slacken both evenly, as ther are captive and need to draw out together. Once they've let go, pull the lower edge of the panel out, and unhook the top, it drops down.

Behind this are a few fuses, the diagnostic connector, which is on the face of the body computer. Behind, feel, or lie underneath (difficult, may need help extracting yourself). There's a big connector, I think it has a big clip of some sort. Treat carefully, don't force it off, or on, but mop around it with a dry kitchen towel, any moisture should show.

before cleaning the duck bills

see if the shuttle is full of water

if its not try

with the bonnet up pour some water in the gap by windscreen wiper motor and see if it drains out quickly

This would confirm whether this area is an issue.

if it does fill up you are looking for damp around here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Il5XEfLThc

Last edited:
before cleaning the duck bills

see if the shuttle is full of water

if its not try

with the bonnet up pour some water in the gap by windscreen wiper motor and see if it drains out quickly

This would confirm whether this area is an issue.

if it does fill up you are looking for damp around here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Il5XEfLThc

Personally.. I WOULD NOT be adding water before I have ensured the duckbills are clear..

It takes 30 seconds a side..
mopping out the interior will take much longer

Personally.. I WOULD NOT be adding water before I have ensured the duckbills are clear..

It takes 30 seconds a side..
mopping out the interior will take much longer

slight difference of opinion. There's no right or wrong

as you say it only takes a few seconds to clear. I hope nobody would be daft enough to put more than a cup or so without checking its running out. far more than this goes down here when it raining.

I would confirm then repair. It seem we change everything until we stumble across the right solution. Often
not knowing which of the multi part changed was the correct solution.

if its drains fine we can move on

if it doesn't. the body computer will have to come out and dried properly. Otherwise there is potential for further faults months or years down the line.

Last edited:
Back