Technical Immobilizer or exciter ring fault

Currently reading:
Technical Immobilizer or exciter ring fault

Gibsog

Hi I have an orange light with pic of van with a key and according to book it's a key fault as not being read have tried both keys but still didn't clear which makes the van very hard to start any ideas motorhome is a 2005 2.3 Ducati diesel

Hi Gibsog,

Welcome to the forum. In order to help others who have the same problem, please post results on this thread.

Thanks for including some vehicle details. Others seem to think that we are phsychic.

From the year your base vehicle will be an x244 model Ducato. (See VIN which will be ZFA244xxxxxxxxxx.)

You say that the vehicle is hard to start. Does this mean that it starts sometimes? It should not start when the key has not been recognised.

If indeed the failure is only somtimes, then you may wish to attempt the following procedure, with which I seem to have had some success on my own 2006 x244 2.8jtd.

Remove the four screws securing the steering column lower cover. Fiddly as recessed, I use a short piece of garden hose to help centre PZ2 driver.

The code receiver is on the lower side of the column. The smaller 3 pin (2 wires) connector is for the antenna ring. As a minimum carefully remove and replace that connector a couple of times. I also applied a few drops of contact cleaner. While you are in there, you may wish to treat the larger connector in a similar fashion.

If the above does not work for you, others have removed the chip from the key, the antenna ring from the switch, taped them together, and tucked behind the dash. This approach will have security and insurance implications.

As previously requested please report any progress.

Thanks I will try that and let you know how I get on. Ducato motorhome 2.3 diesel 2005 not Ducati as stated in original post 😁

@Gibsog ,

You did not confirm that you could not start your vehicle, you only stated that it was "very hard to start".

If in fact you have an absolute failure to start, you should check fuse F18 in the engine bay fusebox, which supplies both the code receiver and the main injection relay.

See this post made today, by @Cool breeze.
Had a similar problem, engine cranked normally and immo light remained on. Cause was no power supply to the ecu. Replaced the 7.5A ecu fuse, problem solved. May be worth checking.

Attachments

• Fusebox B001 Engine Bay.pdf
    191.2 KB · Views: 46
It starts eventually you just have to persist with turning it over and it will catch

If the key code failure light (padlock symbol) stays on then engine should not start, regardless of how much you crank it. On the other hand if you are repeatedly switching ignition off, and on again, then if code failure is because of weak signal the you may be OK........ somtimes. This is what I think you are experiencing.

That is what happened to me at a campsite reception. Started at second attempt. Subsequent tests just switching on, but not cranking the engine I had 2 out of 5 failures (lamp staying lit). No failures since contact cleaning carried out. Confidence in vehicle restored.

If your MH is a continental conversion, then you may have a key code card, which gives the electronic and mechanical codes for the vehicle. There is a procedure in the handbook describing emergency start procedure using the code. The procedure is protraced in use.

I have read on another forum of owner & wife in MH on drive, packed and ready to go. Code lamp stayed on. Holiday cancelled, and several hundreds of pounds added to credit card, before engine started.

Back