Technical Ducato motorhome strange electrical fault

Currently reading:
Technical Ducato motorhome strange electrical fault

Paulnomadic

Hi, wondered if anyone had any insight on this?

I have a swift / autocruise 66 plate forte which is based on the fiat ducato maxi van.

Had it from almost new and never any problems ever until recently where it’s developed a strange electrical fault.

Basically when I drive it there’s a huge draw on the van battery, so big in fact that loads of errors start apprearing on the dash board such as check power steering, check abs etc etc. eventually the engine will just cut out and battery will be totally flat. Replaced all the obvious bits like the cab and leisure battery, alternator.

A mechanic that came out to look at it yesterday put a multi meter on the cab battery and it was fluctuating between 4 and 11 volts.

Has anyone had anything similar? Pretty sure it’s the cab/ vehicle wiring as opposed to the camper conversions wiring.

Thanks, paul

Hi Paulnomadic and welcome to the forum
Have you checked the loom under the N/S X2/50 headlight?
You have to take the headlight out to see it - and even then its hard to spot because the loom goes over a smooth round tube where you wouldn't expect it to chafe. You have to pull the loom back to see whats hidden beneath it. Rubs off the paint, traps water, tube rusts making it like sandpaper and rubbing through the insulation. This can do all sorts of funny things to the electrics.
I taped mine up and protected it with rubber hose

Attachments

• X250ECUloomunderNSheadlight(1).jpg
    X250ECUloomunderNSheadlight(1).jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 37
  • X250ECUloomunderNSheadlight(2).jpg
    X250ECUloomunderNSheadlight(2).jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 38
  • X250ECUloomunderNSheadlight(3).jpg
    X250ECUloomunderNSheadlight(3).jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 39
aha, no I haven’t but that’s interesting as the breakdown guy that recovered it the other day also said that this could be the fault. I’m going to have a look at this first thing this morning 👍👍

Thanks very much & I shall let you know whether or not it’s this that’s causing the problem.

Hi Paulnomadic and welcome to the forum
Have you checked the loom under the N/S X2/50 headlight?
You have to take the headlight out to see it - and even then its hard to spot because the loom goes over a smooth round tube where you wouldn't expect it to chafe. You have to pull the loom back to see whats hidden beneath it. Rubs off the paint, traps water, tube rusts making it like sandpaper and rubbing through the insulation. This can do all sorts of funny things to the electrics.
I taped mine up and protected it with rubber hose

Back