Technical Immobiliser blues

Currently reading:
Technical Immobiliser blues

pint6x

Hello sky, hello clouds etc.,

I bought a 2005 1.2 Panda dynamic 4 years ago. It had 12k on the clock which has now gone up to 65k. It has been a fantastic little car with no real problems, except one:

About 2 years ago, the immobiliser dashboard light came on, and there was no way I could get the car started. After ringing various Fiat people, I found out about the way you can get it started with a 5 digit code, by pressing the accelerator a number of times and bypassing the immobiliser.

It cost me £45 to get the 5 digit code from Fiat, and it is possible, although it's a right PITA because it doesn't always count correctly.

Anyway, I first took the black box out - first had to drill out the rivets on the metal shield covering it, then unplug about 47 multi-pin connectors and pull the thing out. I took this unit to a vehicle security place in Leicester, and they did something to it, charged me £80, and home I came. It didn't work, so I got the Panda started with the security code method (see above) then drove it to the place in Leicester. They reprogrammed the key and immobiliser (or something - they wouldn't let me see what they were doing) and after that it worked fine.

Now, the damn light has just started appearing again intermittently - it's the one with the key symbol in yellow which essentially means "get lost fatty, you're going nowhere". Turning the ignition off and on sometimes clears it, but I know it's going to reach a stage where it won't start at all, leaving us to do some fancy footwork with the security code again.

So, any ideas how I can fix this permanently without a) spending a grand on new locks and immobiliser b) driving halfway across the country to get it sorted?

love and kisses - philip

Just tried with both the main key and the spare - of course it's just worked perfectly ten times in a row!!

Each time removing the key, locking the door from the main key, then unlocking it.

The battery was replaced a few years ago and has plenty of juice.

The symptoms are exactly as before, which is why I'm thinking it's the same bits that are involved.

Back