Technical Idtd 2.8 wiper relay

Currently reading:
Technical Idtd 2.8 wiper relay

sim12

Was wondering if a vw99 relay will fit but I can't even find the relay to check anyone know where it is please?

More details of vehicle required to save guessing....what year? Which base vehicle?

More details of vehicle required to save guessing....what year? Which base vehicle?
I frequently request vehicle details, when none are tendered. However in this instance further info is probably not required.

The 2.8idTD was introduced in 1998 and fitted until 2001. (Wikipedia)

The vehicle can only be an x230, unless the engine has been moved to a different vehicle.

That is the easy part. @sim12 , the only diagrams that I have found for the x230, are those contained in the German language workshop manual that is available in the downloads section. Diagram 18, on page 189 is for the "Scheibenwischer/Waschanlage". There are no relays shown on the diagram, just a complex column switch. I have attached an extract from the file showing this diagram.

Attachments

• x230 Wipers etc.pdf
    135 KB · Views: 50
I frequently request vehicle details, when none are tendered. However in this instance further info is probably not required.

The 2.8idTD was introduced in 1998 and fitted until 2001. (Wikipedia)

The vehicle can only be an x230, unless the engine has been moved to a different vehicle.

That is the easy part. @sim12 , the only diagrams that I have found for the x230, are those contained in the German language workshop manual that is available in the downloads section. Diagram 18, on page 189 is for the "Scheibenwischer/Waschanlage". There are no relays shown on the diagram, just a complex column switch. I have attached an extract from the file showing this diagram.

Hi,

Love the old school diagram that I can follow easily😀

From diagram it appears there is an electronic element to the wiper motor assembly that controls speeds and intermittent wipe. Wiper motor assembly looks to be denoted 5015 on diagram.

To answer ops original question about using a vw99 relay-no not an easy proposition- unless the wiper motor assembly can be opened and is found to contain a standard wiper relay.

Cheers

Jack

Hi,

Love the old school diagram that I can follow easily😀

From diagram it appears there is an electronic element to the wiper motor assembly that controls speeds and intermittent wipe. Wiper motor assembly looks to be denoted 5015 on diagram.

To answer ops original question about using a vw99 relay-no not an easy proposition- unless the wiper motor assembly can be opened and is found to contain a standard wiper relay.

Cheers

Jack
Electronic element yes, but I think just for the intermttent wipe. Speed control directly from stalk switch, as all three motor brushes are connected to stalk switch.

Edit. On closer inspection speed 2 motor brush, not conected to electronic unit.

@sim12 , do you have a fault, or is your idea just an upgrade?

Last edited:
Thanks chaps I think you are right in saying there is no relay. the only clicking noise i could hear with the wipers on came from the motor itself so I popped the back off hoping to maybe see a normal relay as suggested but it's just the back of a quite sparse circuit board in there. @Communicator no faults just fancied a cheap upgrade if possible

Was wondering if a vw99 relay will fit but I can't even find the relay to check anyone know where it is please?

Try looking on the fire wall between the heater , and brake master cylinder , just above the heater feed/return pipes . There are two relays , one tall with 6 connections , and one a standard 5 pin . If your wiper park , or flick wipe is the problem , it's the tall one you need . Most Motorist centres hold the shorter one , but the taller one is more difficult to source . However i discovered the taller one is , or was fitted to the classic Range Rover , and is available on ebay , failing that check out a 4 wheel drive centre , such as "All makes , 4x4 , Abingdon , Oxon" .
Oh , relay location is based on a left hand drive vehicle .

I have 1999 Hymer on a 2.8 idtd Ducato base. Wiper relay is as noted above. Had issues with the intermittent and park function. Replaced the larger relay with Relay 60201002 and all ok now.

Attachments

• 20230317_154225.jpg
    20230317_154225.jpg
    734.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 60201002.jpg
    60201002.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 31
Mines a 2000 lhd. Pretty sure it's integrated into the wiperView attachment 428474

Now that's interesting , because mine is also a year 2000 , left hand drive , and i can confirm that's the place , but clearly there's no sign of any relays either . That photo is exactly where you should be looking , can you post a pic of the wiper motor . I'm afraid my suspicion is the relay may well be under the dash !
A replacement wiper motor is bloo** expensive , and you don't want to be lashing out , on something you don't really need .
To be frank , when i had problems , i thought exactly the same , but when i discovered the three figure price tag , i wanted to make sure before i laid out the ready's . I removed the motor to examine it , and even went to the extreme of taking the thing apart , and discovered no evidence of a relay , which lead to my eventual discovery of the relays in the position i suggested . I would suggest you examine the wiring as a first stop . If the relay was at the motor end , you would multiple wire's terminating there .

Now just on a word of note here , for anyone else following this thread , who actually does need a wiper motor . I strongly suspect a standard Ducato wiper motor will actually fit any 230 chassis based motor home . However this is only a suspicion , i cannot confirm this at this time . The price difference is almost 300 quid . So be very careful .

I read somewhere that Hymer b544 has an upgraded wiper motor as it runs 3 blades. Think its from a volvo truck

Okay , i've not heard that ! . Mine is basically the sister to the 544 , a 584 , and i also have a triple blade set up .

How many blades do you have ? .

3 blades. Maybe the relay on the bulkhead is needed for the off standard motor.

Attachments

• 20230821_192710.jpg
    20230821_192710.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 25
  • 20230821_192636.jpg
    20230821_192636.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 24
3 blades. Maybe the relay on the bulkhead is needed for the off standard motor.

Hah , so you have an Iveco motor too . Yep same as mine , i have a plug to the left of the relays now . Dunno what it's original position was , but mine was hanging down , and i got fed up with it looking untidy . So i made a bracket and secured it .

Back