Technical Starting problem with fiat ducato 2.8 jtd engine

Currently reading:
Technical Starting problem with fiat ducato 2.8 jtd engine

Bigal55

Hi Im having a problem with my 2004 fiat ducato 2.8 jtd engine fitted with a sigma s30 alarm immobiliser. When I turn the ignition key round till the dash lights come on then press the sigma fob button there's a click then I turn back the key a little and round again to start, sometimes the engine fires up no problem and sometimes it just runs for a second then dies.
I have a good starter battery.
Just wondered if anyone else has had a similar problem?
Cheers Allan

When the fault occurs what do you have to do to start it after it starts and dies?
Also can you note if you hear the Sigma system "click" every time or not when engine fails to run normally.:)
When I go to start it I press the sigma keyfob and there's a click from the sigma box, which is under a cover above the glove box, then turn back the key so the dash lights go out then back to start. If it fails to start I repeat the procedure pressing the button again which won't cause a click but often starts it just the same. If I want it to click I have to wait about 30secs before trying again but that won't always start it. I have found that if I turn it off quite quickly after the click I have more success but it's so random it's hard to pinpoint any particular thing.
I have booked it into an auto electricians on the 13th of February he might be able to diagnose the fault. My feeling is its either the immobiliser playing up or that camshaft sensor

When I go to start it I press the sigma keyfob and there's a click from the sigma box, which is under a cover above the glove box, then turn back the key so the dash lights go out then back to start. If it fails to start I repeat the procedure pressing the button again which won't cause a click but often starts it just the same. If I want it to click I have to wait about 30secs before trying again but that won't always start it. I have found that if I turn it off quite quickly after the click I have more success but it's so random it's hard to pinpoint any particular thing.
I have booked it into an auto electricians on the 13th of February he might be able to diagnose the fault. My feeling is its either the immobiliser playing up or that camshaft sensor
If it starts and dies, I cannot see it being the camshaft sensor. The camshaft sensor is used only to determine the stroke when starting. This is before any fuel is injected.

If it starts and dies, I cannot see it being the camshaft sensor. The camshaft sensor is used only to determine the stroke when starting. This is before any fuel is injected.
Yes it is strange it fires for a second or two then dies which you would think might be fuel starvation but then when it catches it runs perfectly 🤔

Yes I'm thinking that too a guy on the niesmann bischoff sight thought the same, ill maybe get the auto electrician to by pass it it's not something I would tackle myself

Yes I'm thinking that too a guy on the niesmann bischoff sight thought the same, ill maybe get the auto electrician to by pass it it's not something I would tackle myself
Yes, better to let the Auto electrician, trouble is many after market systems use same colour wires so not always easy to trace back.
Years ago there were several after market systems and generally we tried to steer clear. Now factory ones are more effective.
Mind you a friend in the early 1970s had an effective anti theft device on his original Lotus 7, it was never locked when he was at the pub, but his massive German Shepherd was laying across both seats.;)

Lol yes that's the ultimate deterrent we have a husky rottweiler cross but I don't think he'd like being out in the van all night in this weather

Yes, better to let the Auto electrician, trouble is many after market systems use same colour wires so not always easy to trace back.
Years ago there were several after market systems and generally we tried to steer clear. Now factory ones are more effective.
Mind you a friend in the early 1970s had an effective anti theft device on his original Lotus 7, it was never locked when he was at the pub, but his massive German Shepherd was laying across both seats.;)
Hi
Hi just to give you an update on the problem I had back in January.
I have solved the problem by replacing a part on the steering column, fiat part no 1389442080, which is a 5 minute job and cost 20 pounds, van starting no problem now

Hi

Hi just to give you an update on the problem I had back in January.
I have solved the problem by replacing a part on the steering column, fiat part no 1389442080, which is a 5 minute job and cost 20 pounds, van starting no problem now
That's good, it sound like the ignition switch it's self, the contacts used to fail in the past on older Fiats , but I though they had grown out of it on newer stuff.:)

Back