General Ducato 2.8 Jtd Gearbox

Currently reading:
General Ducato 2.8 Jtd Gearbox

Garygsax

Just took our campervan this morning to have crunching gears/gearbox sorted and new clutch fitted £1500, will let you know how it goes on, said should be ready for Tuesday.
It's the only place I've found that will do all the work as others wanted me to remove g/box and then take it to be done, then have it fitted back in?

Just took our campervan this morning to have crunching gears/gearbox sorted and new clutch fitted £1500, will let you know how it goes on, said should be ready for Tuesday.
It's the only place I've found that will do all the work as others wanted me to remove g/box and then take it to be done, then have it fitted back in?
Doesn't seem to be many old school garages and mechanics anymore.
Are you sure the gearbox crunching isn't just the clutch fault?

Dont Know, not that car mechanic minded. i'm a heating engineer, these guys seem to know what they are doing, they did say that they will check clutch prior to dismantling gearbox

Dont Know, not that car mechanic minded. i'm a heating engineer, these guys seem to know what they are doing, they did say that they will check clutch prior to dismantling gearbox
Due to the higher level of sulphur and phosphorus based additives gear oil to SAE 75w/80 GL5 specification is reputed to attack the bronze sychroniser components, . Ask for 75w/80 GL4 instead.
Fifth gear is in a separate compartment and splash lubricated from the main box. If the vehicle has been standing for longer than overnight, I try to follow the advice of not using fifth gear for the first mile or two. (In some circumstances may not be possible anyway.)

Thanks for the info, I did my own gear oil change in May this year, drained the old oil, didn't look contaminated with water, virtually no swarf on the magnetic drain plug, replaced it with 75w-85 GL4 ,filter etc, and put 0.5 ltr extra in, seemed to make shifting a little better,told the mechanic, he said that what he uses as standard on those gearboxes.

Just to recap
had the gearbox dropped, new syncro's in, but 2nd gear cog? ,needs replacing, new 3 part clutch in, 1st, 3rd,4th and 5th all smooth now, mechanic said he'll have to find a 2nd gear cog, said he'll drop the box for free and 're fit box but only charge me for the cog and fitting of same.
up to now cost me £1500 so don't know how much 2nd gear and labour will be, will post it up when done.

Hi.Please let me know where you took your vehicle to have the gears sorted. Thank you

Hi Talkking
Regarding your question, the repairers are Common Lane Transmissions, Tyldesley, Lancashire. Google search
They are really helpful and seem to to know what they are doing, my van runs great now.
Regards
Gary

Back