I can see this ending in tears.

Currently reading:
I can see this ending in tears.

Will be good for the economy:

More crashes = more nurses and more hospitals.

More crashes = more cars repaired.

Isn't this modern thinking? It's all about making money. And the government thoroughly believe that the undertakers deserve a chance too.

Maybe Gordon Brown got an idea from this? We still can live in hope.

is it really a good idea to annoy this man:

wwe_umaga.jpg

every samoan i have met (and suprisingly, it's been a few!) has been an absolute monster a bloke, good natured, but able to go volcanic in a heartbeat.......

from the bbc:

phillip gomm said:
The whole concept is mindboggling. It would be a logistical nightmare involving huge public education, vast sums of money and a massive amount of staff - and all so we can be like the French.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8239048.stm

Last edited:
There was a time when Napoleon was overthrown back in the day and yet there was a chance to force the entire nation of France to drive on the right (or ride horses on that side whatever you like) by Nelson (I think it was Nelson). I believe there was a reason that horse riders started out on the left because of the way the riders would draw their swords by using the right arm.

If someone else would know more then go ahead and share.

There was a time when Napoleon was overthrown back in the day and yet there was a chance to force the entire nation of France to drive on the right (or ride horses on that side whatever you like) by Nelson (I think it was Nelson). I believe there was a reason that horse riders started out on the left because of the way the riders would draw their swords by using the right arm.

that's what i was thinking, i thought it was to do with where they used to ride horses, at what point did they think on the continent, that driving on the incorrect side of the road was a better idea?

It was covered live on our TV news, as you can imagine, and the switch appeared to go smoothly - the only trouble spots being on the other side of intersections (turning into the wrong lane) and turning out onto roads. I never really associate countries like Samoa with heavy traffic anyway, and everything is running on 'island time'.

The reporter confused even herself, though, when she summed up by saying, and I quote, "driving on the left is not going to be easy when most of the cars are American-style right hand drive". :rolleyes:

I guess that has increased the number of countries that drive on the left from a minority to a, err, larger minority :)

The main reason for it would be an economic one - ex-Japanese cars will now flood in via NZ and that includes cheap buses too.

-Alex

Driving on the left hand side is the correct way to do it. Most people are right-handed, and your leading hand is the one best left on the steering wheel. The weaker hand should be left for gears, handbrake and the buttons on the stereo. Well done Samoa!

There are numerous stories as to why countries drive on the left or right hand side of the road.

One is that to cut down on the number of injuries caused among horse riders and wagon drivers, the Vatican decreed, as the contemporary equivalent of the U.N., that all road users should ride/drive on the right. Why the right I've absolutely no idea.

During his spat with the Church of Rome, Henry VIII is reputed to have ordered everyone in Britain to drive on the left, just to p**s off the Pope.

The other story, which has some credence to me, is that as you rode your horse, as most people were right handed, riding on the left meant that if attacked by another person, you were able to draw your sword to defend yourself.

As for the U.K. changing sides, the only real advantage would be, possibly, cheaper cars and on the off chance that you wanted a Lancia, you could get one with the wheel on the correct side.

If anyone on here has ever been to Nassau, you will have noticed that although they drive on the left like us, the closeness of the U.S., Mexico and Central American countries where most Bahamian cars come from means that not only do you have Pontiac 3-door (one on the left and two on the right) people carriers used as Taxis where the passengers get out into the traffic, but half the buses and even some driving school cars are left hand drive.

Chaos.

I guess that has increased the number of countries that drive on the left from a minority to a, err, larger minority :)
-Alex
I think about a third of the world's population live in a country that drives on the left, including:

U.K., Ireland, Gibraltar, Malta, Cyprus, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Kenya, Ghana, Uganda, Bermuda, Bahamas, West Indies, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia (maybe) Japan, Australia, New Zealand and, er, oh yes, Samoa.

The author cannot be held responsible for the accuracy of the above list as he got up at 04:20 this morning and now has a brain consisting of porridge.

Whilst I agree traffic flows better in Europe on the opposite side of the road, I'm far too used to driving here on the left. When I was learning to drive, my instructor said our rubbish excuse for a government tried to change it in the UK some few years ago, and it got thrown out because of the danger and confusion it would have.

Plus everyone would have to buy an LHD car. The British government thought it would help European drivers when they drive into our country and/or fly-drive. But at the end of the day, why the government is so obsessed with being more like Europe we will never know.

I can see Samoa having chaos issued. By issuing a 2 day driving ban, will not solve anything. After driving on the side they're used to for so many years, people will still do it without thinking and crashes will happen.

Whilst I agree traffic flows better in Europe on the opposite side of the road, I'm far too used to driving here on the left. When I was learning to drive, my instructor said our rubbish excuse for a government tried to change it in the UK some few years ago, and it got thrown out because of the danger and confusion it would have.

Plus everyone would have to buy an LHD car. The British government thought it would help European drivers when they drive into our country and/or fly-drive. But at the end of the day, why the government is so obsessed with being more like Europe we will never know.
Your Instructor is right. The Government did look at changing from left to right a few years ago, but only did it half heartedly. I can see no valid reason for us, or Ireland for that matter, but that's up to them, to switch to driving on the right. If we were attached t mainland Europe, there would be a compelling reason, but as we are an island, why would anyone with a double digit I.Q. even consider it? Ah, that might be the reason then.

In 1989 while on holiday in France, I turned out of a side road in Normandy and noticed a pedestrian giving me a funny look. Before I could stick my head out of he window and shout: "What are you looking at Froggy?" Mrs. Beard uttered the imortal words "You're on the wrong side!" "I replied "I'm on the side with the steering wheel you stupid....Oh S**t....."

done a bit of research (wikipedia) and seems that initially driving on the left was common across several parts of europe, though often driving on the right was used in the same country, and they all eventually moved to the left.

interestingly apparently lancias/alfas upto the 50's were RHD! it was mussolini in the 30's who made everyone drive on the wrong side of the road. though interesting that they stayed rhd that long.

I notice that Samoa changed from driving on the right (like Europe) to the left (like UK). So a very sensible move by Samoa to be less like Europe and more like UK.

As for the history, I believe the reason that different countries drive on different sides (in Europe at least) is to do with swordsmanship. Driving (riding) on the left allows you to hold your sword in the right hand to attack an on-coming opponent. Napoleon was left handed, so he held the sword in the left hand and therefore would seek to attack an opponent on the right. As Napoleon conquered more of Europe he ordered his armies to hold their swords in their left hands, hence to ride on the right.

Driving on the left is a sign of our superioriority and we should never give it up.

Back