Technical How to remove/replace aerial base Fiat Panda?

Currently reading:
Technical How to remove/replace aerial base Fiat Panda?

Deniyzen

I've searched but can't find any instructions on how tom remove/replace the aerial base on a Fiat Panda 2007? Not the top unscrew bit but the base, I've just bought my Panda and someone or something has snapped it off with the thread still inside the base. :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

I've searched but can't find any instructions on how tom remove/replace the aerial base on a Fiat Panda 2007? Not the top unscrew bit but the base, I've just bought my Panda and someone or something has snapped it off with the thread still inside the base. :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

Hi.
Not got a panda with me
SEARCH..the punto one will be VERY similar...
on other fiats..just take it all apart..there is an outer/upprr "cap"
prise that off to see the innards

Charlie. Oxford

I'll just say the main steps as its been a while since I removed mine...

- Open your boot.
- Remove the 2 for tree clips at the rear of the car that hold the headlining to the roof.
- Pull down the headlining slightly by un-tucking it from the rubber seel (take car not to crease the lining)
- Disconnect the cable from the loom to the aerial base
- Remove nut holding base in position (22mm spanner I think)
- Carefully lift aerial upwards and away from the car taking care not to mark the paint as the cable is pulled out

Wrightyy

As above. I read the manual a while ago while considering fitting one to give DAB signals as well as FM. I seem to remember that the side trim panels around the rear quarter windows may need to be removed too, before the rooflining will drop. May be possible without, but take care.

Thanks everyone, I've done it but didn't take any photo's as Storm Desmond was making his way in so I had to act fast once I had started to avoid water in through the hole. It was easy enough, the hardest bit was getting the bolt off the old aerial from the inside.

Fab forum, Thanks!

I've got a 2008 Panda. I'm a DIY-competent but aging female. Just don't understand some of the 'techie' speak from members. "[FONT=&quot]Remove the 2 for tree clips at the rear of the car" Perhaps that is 2 or 3?
What is the 'loom'?
I can see two evenly spaced plugs in the 'ceiling' above the roof shelf. Is that where I should start?
Also have a seat belt casing on one corner, do I have to undo that?
I'm sure I can manage it, just not quite clear on where to start the whole process. A bit of help would be appreciated.
Cheers, guys (and gals)

[/FONT]

I've got a 2008 Panda. I'm a DIY-competent but aging female. Just don't understand some of the 'techie' speak from members. "[FONT=&quot]Remove the 2 for tree clips at the rear of the car" Perhaps that is 2 or 3?
What is the 'loom'?
I can see two evenly spaced plugs in the 'ceiling' above the roof shelf. Is that where I should start?
Also have a seat belt casing on one corner, do I have to undo that?
I'm sure I can manage it, just not quite clear on where to start the whole process. A bit of help would be appreciated.
Cheers, guys (and gals)

[/FONT]

Hi, and welcome, :)

wrightyy did the job.., ;)
I've reread the 2 for tree comment.. pretty sure they are the FIR TREE clips,
basically mounded plastic PINS with circular serrations / ribs around the outside.. look like a Xmas tree ( often found holding on a bonnet liner)

again we'd be eternally grateful IF you could take a few pics while doing the job, :worship:
I'm more than happy to use these to make a GUIDE, (y)

thanks,
Charlie - Oxford

The loom will be the co-ax cable (wire!) that will go all the way to the back of the radio.
Has your aerial broken off and left the thread in the aerial base? I wonder if they make an easy out for such a small thread??

I'll just say the main steps as its been a while since I removed mine...

- Open your boot.
- Remove the 2 fir tree clips at the rear of the car that hold the headlining to the roof.
- Pull down the headlining slightly by un-tucking it from the rubber seel (take car not to crease the lining)
- Disconnect the cable from the loom to the aerial base
- Remove nut holding base in position (22mm spanner I think)
- Carefully lift aerial upwards and away from the car taking care not to mark the paint as the cable is pulled out

Wrightyy

Correction made:
- Remove the 2 FIR tree clips at the rear of the car that hold the headlining to the roof

Hi, and welcome, :)

wrightyy did the job.., ;)
I've reread the 2 for tree comment.. pretty sure they are the FIR TREE clips,
basically mounded plastic PINS with circular serrations / ribs around the outside.. look like a Xmas tree ( often found holding on a bonnet liner)

again we'd be eternally grateful IF you could take a few pics while doing the job, :worship:
I'm more than happy to use these to make a GUIDE, (y)

thanks,
Charlie - Oxford

Yes sorry for any confusion! It's fir tree clips :)

Wrightyy

Hey guys, thanks for your help, no doubt you are creased up laughing at this point. :D
If it stops raining this end of the country I will give it a go! Yes, I do have some sort of seat belt casing attached to one back corner of the roof lining -perhaps something to do with baby seat of previous owner?
Will try and remember to take some pics as I go. Whole black off casing snapped, so no way other than to replace the aerial base.
Cheers.

You have a rare one with the centre seat belt. Most were built as 4-seaters, with the option to specify a 5-seater when ordering new.
Remove the belt unit as the pic below from the Fiat manual.

Attachments

• seatbelt.JPG
    seatbelt.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 235
Hi Charlie
A few pics - first set. I will send another 5 for you. For your info, issues for me were finding a way to get the fir trees out - (chain saw!!!) but managed to slide narrow bull end pliers above base and squash fixing and pull down.
Had to ask neighbour you separate the two cables as I did not know whether to pull with pliers or it unscrewed. It was just a really tight plug pull out.
Glad I have small hands, it was all a bit fiddly and very thin lining I did not want to crease. If you see behind the junction clip (loom?) it would be easier to open with stubby screwdriver, but I prised off the whole thing first so I could see what I was doing. It went back fine.
I now have my radio back and quite chuffed did almost all myself. Would have been possible if I had known it was just like a TV aerial pull apart.
Will send second lot of photos.
Julia W Sussex.

Attachments

• 5 inside roof lining.JPG
    5 inside roof lining.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 159
  • 4 belt casing.JPG
    4 belt casing.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 126
  • 3  fir tree clips.JPG
    3 fir tree clips.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 138
  • 2 top of boot.JPG
    2 top of boot.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 159
  • 1 broken case on roof.JPG
    1 broken case on roof.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 282
Rest of the photos.
Job done
Hope this helps someone else!

Attachments

• 6  junction to coaxil.JPG
    6 junction to coaxil.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 143
  • 7 clip to junction.JPG
    7 clip to junction.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 145
  • 8 pull apart cables - stiff.JPG
    8 pull apart cables - stiff.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 171
  • 9 unscrew nut.JPG
    9 unscrew nut.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 98
  • 10 remove old.JPG
    10 remove old.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 125
Hi Charlie
A few pics - first set. I will send another 5 for you. For your info, issues for me were finding a way to get the fir trees out - (chain saw!!!) but managed to slide narrow bull end pliers above base and squash fixing and pull down.
Had to ask neighbour you separate the two cables as I did not know whether to pull with pliers or it unscrewed. It was just a really tight plug pull out.
Glad I have small hands, it was all a bit fiddly and very thin lining I did not want to crease. If you see behind the junction clip (loom?) it would be easier to open with stubby screwdriver, but I prised off the whole thing first so I could see what I was doing. It went back fine.
I now have my radio back and quite chuffed did almost all myself. Would have been possible if I had known it was just like a TV aerial pull apart.
Will send second lot of photos.
Julia W Sussex.

Hi Julia,
Good job on your work!

I was just wondering if you carried it out because your MW reception was poor?
Mine is and I'm thinking of what could be the issue but sounds like this fixed your issue.

Back