General how to remove headlight bulb

Currently reading:
General how to remove headlight bulb

peter0003

How can you remove the headlight bulb from the headlight holder on my Fiat Panda? It sounds simple but not for me!!

These can be tricky little blighters. It all can look easy in the handbook, then fight back. Still fiddly when you know how and are practised.
Bulb1.jpg

The large cover is held by the spring clip (A). This lifts over a notch, to pivot off the end of the cover(B). That end then lifts off, and there's a peg at the other end that slides out. It can be a fiddle to reinsert it, so take care, and if the cover is not properly aligned, don't force it, reposition it. (fig.21)

Now for the headlamp bulb. (fig.25) You'll need to wriggle and jiggle the connector off(G). Theoretically it just pulls off, but it is tight, and been there a while. Don't pull the wires, just the connector block.
Bulb2.jpg

The wire clip (H) has to be unhooked at the two ears, and swung down. Sometimes they fall off, and need more fiddling to refit. The bulb should then lift out. Take care when refitting, the lugs are offset, to ensure only fits one way. Push each ear towards the headlamp, then outwards from the centre to detach from its hook. Let it swing down.

Do not touch the glass of the bulb. Grease from your hand will cause a hotspot on the glass, and cause it to fail quickly. Only handle the metal part.
Insert the new bulb carefully, to engage its lugs in the correct place. Employ all three hands to hold the bulb, while hooking the clip around its two hooks. Some mild swearing may be necessary.
Refit the connector. Then test it. If all OK, fit the cover, ensuring the lug fits into its elusive slot. Then fight the clip back over the end to secure.
Hope you never need to do it again.
Dress the minor wounds. Have a cup of tea.

Attachments

• 1694332299535.png
    1694332299535.png
    153 KB · Views: 34
Here is an old video I made a long time ago with my kids - it was aimed at encouraging them towards being practical and providing an opportunity to learn by having to think about and explain the work being undertaken. It's a bit silly but might be quite helpful to you:

You need to learn to work blind on these kind of things, by your hands alone. Or if stuck, remove the headlight!!

You need to learn to work blind on these kind of things, by your hands alone. Or if stuck, remove the headlight!!
Fiat instruction to remove headlamp is to remove bumper first. I can confirm it won't come out with the bumper in situ, but can be wriggled out if the fixings at that corner are all removed. A job to be done only when necessary.

Back