Technical How to permanently turn off start/stop

Currently reading:
Technical How to permanently turn off start/stop

Eeyore500

I have a Fiat 500 2020 model. I find the automatic stop/start really annoying - it is distracting at roundabouts, and in heavy traffic it seems to cut in just before I need to move. I normally disable it from the dashboard switch. However, after turning off the engine, the stop/start automatically re-engages so that I have to disable it again on the next trip. Is there any way to toggle the stop/start mode so that it defaults to "off"?

I have a Fiat 500 2020 model. I find the automatic stop/start really annoying - it is distracting at roundabouts, and in heavy traffic it seems to cut in just before I need to move. I normally disable it from the dashboard switch. However, after turning off the engine, the stop/start automatically re-engages so that I have to disable it again on the next trip. Is there any way to toggle the stop/start mode so that it defaults to "off"?
Ask the dealer? if its a simple push button press to momentarily make or break the contact, the its not that hard to make a simple circuit that waits 20 seconds after start up then "presses" the button, piggy backs the switch every time you start the car to disable the system automatically ?

Ask the dealer? if its a simple push button press to momentarily make or break the contact, the its not that hard to make a simple circuit that waits 20 seconds after start up then "presses" the button, piggy backs the switch every time you start the car to disable the system automatically ?
I’m sure I saw something while using MES so you can disable S/S permanently

Not sure on a 2020 model though but don’t see why not

I don't think it can be done in MES. From what I read on the MES forum, the wiring in the car is different.
I have a 2016 car from Belgium that doesn't have start/stop, There is no button for it and it doesn't have the special 12v battery and voltage sensor.

Disconnecting the battery sensor will activate that bright yellow warning triangle on the cluster.
And the sensor doesn't just enable the start/stop. It monitors the battery and charging status.
Probably not a good idea to just disconnect it anyway

Last edited:
This is what I saw in the proxi section.. though I’ve no idea if it would actually turn it off .. but from what it says…..🤔

Attachments

• FED094F2-DB91-4CC1-8249-831FBDE84E4A.jpeg
    FED094F2-DB91-4CC1-8249-831FBDE84E4A.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 358
Or just try this:

Or just try this:

However annoying it is and for the record I turn mine off when I remember 😂 I do like to know it’s working 👍

If it's a simple press to deactivate button then I go back to my post, use a timer to wait 20 seconds say to allow the cars electronics to settle then another to momentarily press(say use a relay piggy backing the switch) it all happens automatically every time you start? No complicated software etc?

Is it too severe to turn it off every trip... ?

I quite like the "start" feature since Rasputin's clutch is quite grabby (old age and mileage) so when I drive it, rather than my 500X (very light and brand new clutch) I tend to stall it now and then, until I get used to it again.

Mind you... it doesn't do the "stop" part most of the time, since the battery is an early spec' and not what you would fit if you went by e.g. Halford's latest recommendation (which is a bigger/more expensive "suitable for Stop-Start systems" spec of battery).

On my X I leave the S&S active... if you ignore that it's there and just drive normally, as if the engine hadn't cut out, you'll find it's pretty unobtrusive.

Ralf S.

Back