Technical Sound when turning off

Currently reading:
Technical Sound when turning off

Kaitlyn

Hi,
I just had a brand new gearbox installed, have done less than 200kms since new gearbox/flywheel/clutch replaced and car is now making a little honking sound when I turn it off. Only when I turn it off. Seems like the engine cover? Local mechanic checked engine mounts and thinks is fine. He he isn't concerned by the sound, unless got worse.

The new gear box cost me 10k and the place that did it weren't very helpful and are over an hour drive away. So I want to get thoughts before I reach out to them

It's a fiat 500c, turbo twin air, 2014.

Attachments

• Snapchat-813180385.mp4
    7.2 MB
Hi,
Thanks for the response :) It's not that engine sound i am worred about sounds, it's the little high pitch honkey sounds just as the engine turns off.

Also, if I just had my flywheel/clutch and gearbox replaced a montha ago..

Last edited:
Hi,
Thanks for the response :) It's not that engine sound i am worred about sounds, it's the little high pitch honkey sounds just as the engine turns off.

Id ask the people who did the work on the box and flywheel to double check it! particularly if the noise was not there BEFORE the work was done!!

Id ask the people who did the work on the box and flywheel to double check it! particularly if the noise was not there BEFORE the work was done!!
Sadly they ( Mitsubishi launceston) are a bunch of arseholes and I really can't trust them, particularly since the parts and work are under warranty and they will say its fine. There is no other mechanic in NW tasmania that will touch a fiat as apparently they are foreign space ships. If you have the strength to read my previous post about the gear box issue with launceston Mitsubishi you we will see why I cant trust them to diagnose a fault in there own work given how dishonest they where with the intial gear box and $10500 they charged me..

Hi,

Ok

For clarity.. 🤔

A failing DMF makes a sound like a Goose

If bad, the parts flail around and damage the gearbox

So you need a new clutch And gearbox

Make sure this isn't your issue 🙂

Sadly they ( Mitsubishi launceston) are a bunch of arseholes and I really can't trust them, particularly since the parts and work are under warranty and they will say its fine. There is no other mechanic in NW tasmania that will touch a fiat as apparently they are foreign space ships. If you have the strength to read my previous post about the gear box issue with launceston Mitsubishi you we will see why I cant trust them to diagnose a fault in there own work given how dishonest they where with the intial gear box and $10500 they charged me..
In that case id go over there at night and set fire to the place!!!!

Ok

For clarity.. 🤔

A failing DMF makes a sound like a Goose

If bad, the parts flail around and damage the gearbox

So you need a new clutch And gearbox

Make sure this isn't your issue 🙂
Hi, so I got a new clutch, fly wheel at the same time I got the new gear box, which is why it cost me almost 11k

I've lived in Australia and it does have extra labour costs and the Australian dollar, but in pounds i reckon you've been charged £4,000. And been overcharged a lot. So the garage is certainly crooked.

There's not really any good advice I can give, only thoughts...you could do nothing and hope the car is OK, or sell the car?

Just making sure you knew the possibilities..
Plenty have posted on here with massive bills 😔
A dmf is same as the flywheel?
Thanks for your help, I was more hoping if I told you I just got a new clutcht/flywheel/gear box that you would then think its something else. As it would be easier to fix something else, then go back and deal with the arsehole who just put all three new parts in a month ago haha

I've lived in Australia and it does have extra labour costs and the Australian dollar, but in pounds i reckon you've been charged £4,000. And been overcharged a lot. So the garage is certainly crooked.

There's not really any good advice I can give, only thoughts...you could do nothing and hope the car is OK, or sell the car?
Oh I know I have been overcharged, hence why I am not on good terms with them and think I'll have zero chance of them honouring the work and parts warranty.

In Jan 2024 they took the car apart to find they had the wrong gearbox ordered for it. So I had the option of paying them labour to put it back together so I had a car for 2 weeks whilst awaiting the correct gear box or leave it in parts waiting they gear box.

It's a joke- I'm in NW tasmania, so the moment it's not a routine service no local mechanic will touch it and I have to drive 100km to one of only two 'licenced' fiat mechanics in Tasmania, I.e the launcestoj Mitsubishi arseholes..

Selling it at this point, I don't even think I would recoup the cost of what I just spent on the gear box...

Oh I know I have been overcharged, hence why I am not on good terms with them and think I'll have zero chance of them honouring the work and parts warranty.

In Jan 2024 they took the car apart to find they had the wrong gearbox ordered for it. So I had the option of paying them labour to put it back together so I had a car for 2 weeks whilst awaiting the correct gear box or leave it in parts waiting they gear box.

It's a joke- I'm in NW tasmania, so the moment it's not a routine service no local mechanic will touch it and I have to drive 100km to one of only two 'licenced' fiat mechanics in Tasmania, I.e the launcestoj Mitsubishi arseholes..

Selling it at this point, I don't even think I would recoup the cost of what I just spent on the gear box...

Attachments

• 20240408_193900.jpg
    20240408_193900.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 12
Thanks for your help, I was more hoping if I told you I just got a new clutcht/flywheel/gear box that you would then think its something else. As it would be easier to fix something else, then go back and deal with the arsehole who just put all three new parts in a month ago haha

Attachments

• 20240408_194432.jpg
    20240408_194432.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 9
That invoice is useful; thanks for posting it.

the concern could be a Dual Mass Flywheel...
Question is, was this car originally fitted with a DMF or a SMF? Perhaps some of the other Australian TA owners may be able to shed light on what was fitted to cars in that market in 2014.

IIRC if it's an 85HP 2014 car it may only ever have had a solid flywheel.

A dmf is a specific type of flywheel which was fitted to all later TA's, and some earlier ones, including all 4x4's and 105HP cars. Its purpose is to smooth out the power delivery between the engine and transmission, and to reduce the wear and tear on the gearbox. They're known to make this kind of noise when they fail, which isn't exactly unusual. They also cost a lot more than the AUD 450 that you were charged for your new flywheel.

But you weren't supplied with a DMF; what was fitted to your car was a single mass one.

I think a 2014 85HP TA car might never have had a DMF originally; but unless your garage kept the parts, it might be hard to check this.

However, whatever it was originally fitted with, what they've fitted and invoiced you for is part 55225428, and that's a single mass flywheel.

If the car was one of the ones that originally left the factory with a solid flywheel, it would explain why the gearbox failed prematurely - dmf's were fitted to later cars at least in part to mitigate against this sort of fault. TA owners with DMF's facing the substantial additional cost of replacement at clutch change time can at least be grateful that it may have saved them from the cost of a gearbox rebuild.

But unfortunately none of this is helping us get any closer to working out what's causing the noise. Unless the original was a dmf and they've replaced it with a solid one, though somehow I doubt that; premature gearbox failure points to a solid flywheel.

I'll bet money that whatever the cause of the noise, it'll be something they did when they replaced your transmission.

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Sometimes its just better taking the loss on the chin. I've had two cars that were "cursed", I wish I'd got rid of them a lot earlier than I did because they cost me a fortune.

My guess is that you're in cursed territory now and something else expensive is going to happen to your car...Have you thought about loaning a car? You loan the car and have the option to buy later.

Sometimes its just better taking the loss on the chin. I've had two cars that were "cursed", I wish I'd got rid of them a lot earlier than I did because they cost me a fortune.
Wise words.

Paying someone else to carry out repairs costing multiple thousands to a car that's already >10 yrs old is usually a losing strategy.

Such cars are often better sold 'as is' to someone with the skills and facilities to either make something of them, or to break them for parts. They often sell for more than you might think if advertised in the right places.

They almost always cost more than you budget for to have someone else repair, and the end result often leaves you disappointed.

Wise words.

Paying someone else to carry out repairs costing multiple thousands to a car that's already >10 yrs old is usually a losing strategy.

Such cars are often better sold 'as is' to someone with the skills and facilities to either make something of them, or to break them for parts. They often sell for more than you might think if advertised in the right places.

They almost always cost more than you budget for to have someone else repair, and the end result often leaves you disappointed.

Back