Technical How to change a DRL (NOT the bulb)?

Currently reading:
Technical How to change a DRL (NOT the bulb)?

Morning,

Continuing with my list of jobs to do, next is fitting a replacement DRL to the drivers side. The original had a hole punched in it that the previous owner had taped over with a clear tape but, of course, this leaks and lets condensation in, etc. I managed to get a second hand one off Fleabay (triple checked it is the right one) but am not sure what is the best way to change it. Does anybody have an idea? Will it be simplest to remove the inner plastic arch or can it be done through the bonnet? Or mix of both?

I removed the wheel and entire inner wing but unfortunately the top left screw can barely be seen but is impossible to get to. After an hour of trying to get various tools in I realised that the only real solution is to partly remove the bumper in order to have any chance of changing it. I will try again next weekend and see if I can manage it.

It's not a fun job, you can access 1 of the bolts from the wheelarch, but the other 2 are beneath the headlamp, so that needs to come out.

Remove bumper screws/rivets at the top corner of tour headlamp and slacken the 2 bolts holding headlamp in at the top, and disconnect the headlamp wiring, pull bumper away to clear headlamp corner.

I managed to remove the 3rd headlamp bolt with a spanner, blind, but it wasn't too arduous... that comes later - remove this bolt and the 2 at the top and you can withdraw the headlamp, note the weird plastic bracket which sits atop the bumper and below the headlamp.

Remove the final 2 screws from the DRL and replace with the new one.

Refit as the reverse, the arduous part is the plastic bracket and making sure its sat in place before the headlamp goes in, and doesn't fall down the bumper..

My first try took about an hour or so, most if that was finding the 3rd headlamp bolt and fannying on with the bracket... I could do it in a bit less now.

Morning,

Continuing with my list of jobs to do, next is fitting a replacement DRL to the drivers side. The original had a hole punched in it that the previous owner had taped over with a clear tape but, of course, this leaks and lets condensation in, etc. I managed to get a second hand one off Fleabay (triple checked it is the right one) but am not sure what is the best way to change it. Does anybody have an idea? Will it be simplest to remove the inner plastic arch or can it be done through the bonnet? Or mix of both?
Just take the bumper off! It will be good practice for when you have to do the wishbone/ball joints. It's pretty straightforward, have a look for FIAT 500 wishbone replacement videos on YouTube - they all start with bumper removal and the Panda is essentially the same. Do disconnect the DRL wire before you drop the bumper (and snap the cables).

Just take the bumper off! It will be good practice for when you have to do the wishbone/ball joints. It's pretty straightforward, have a look for FIAT 500 wishbone replacement videos on YouTube - they all start with bumper removal and the Panda is essentially the same. Do disconnect the DRL wire before you drop the bumper (and snap the cables).

I have more or less come to that conclusion. Thanks for the video tip, I now understand the sequence and will give that a go this weekend.

Thanks all.

Back