Technical How many miles is too many?

Currently reading:
Technical How many miles is too many?

How many miles is too many miles for a punto active mk2b 8v?

How long is a piece of string?

It really really does depend on how well the owner looks after the vehicle tbh.....
Like me - i like 5k oil + filter change
7k - 10k air filter
i've overhauled the Ignition sysmte
I've had a new gearbox and clutch
I've fitted new stat's

If you look after the punto - it'll look after you.

My old punto had a donor engine at fitted with 55k on the clock vs the 110k on the car
The gearbox was tight and clutch was good
But the body let it down, rot had set in - and set in good

Ziggy

samperry209 If you are concerned about mileage i wouldnt worry too much plenty of spares about. And just get it serviced regular. And if when you buy one if it hasnt had a service for 6 months say, i would get one done and start from fresh.

If you dont like getting your hands dirty there are alot of garages around that are competitive prices as struggling for trade

That's really good! So it reached 110k?

My punto mk2 is on 105k at the moment at same engine. It has been serviced every year from new only 1 previous owner. So look after them and they will last a long long while

Tbh from day 1 the original engine did like a little bit of oil
But it soon turned into a serious habbit

sure the sump was weaping - so was the rocker cover
But when it was walloping 1L litre every 400miles, thats excessive
So was the smoke on startup out the back!

Hence why i always change the oil on mine regulary, an engine change aint tooo bad on a punto
But its still a Pita....

When ECP do a free filter with oil promotions - its silly Not to tbh.....

Ziggy

@Ziggy122 Mine could do with an oil change now but ive never done one myself before. But quite tempted that eurofit have an oil and filter change for £30 which i dont think is bad at all

Euro Carparts Oil is £17.99 atm (ouch) for 10w-40 5L
PLus £6 for an oil filter

Thats £24, If you have the tools - Great, you save £6 a go

A cheap plasic bowl will do (£1)
A filter strap (£4.50 from halfrauds)
a 12mm Hex tool (£8 from halfrauds)

Total is 13.50, so after 2 and a bit self oil changes your quids in :)

Depends though if dont mind getting a little mucky - already have a 1/2 in ratchet

Ziggy

Euro Carparts Oil is £17.99 atm (ouch) for 10w-40 5L
PLus £6 for an oil filter

Thats £24, If you have the tools - Great, you save £6 a go

A cheap plasic bowl will do (£1)
A filter strap (£4.50 from halfrauds)
a 12mm Hex tool (£8 from halfrauds)

Total is 13.50, so after 2 and a bit self oil changes your quids in :)

Depends though if dont mind getting a little mucky - already have a 1/2 in ratchet

Ziggy

(Euro Carparts Oil is £17.99 atm (ouch))

^ Asda oil is better, £11 quid atm on offer, :)

would be wary over 200K miles,:)

the 8V engines are simple+ tough.
regular Oil + filter changes are the key

country lanes / speedhumps, will wear out suspension + brakes far quicker than motorway driving..,

signs of neglect / abuse /accident damage are going to have big impacts on life of a car,

my niece bought her (16V) mk2b for £1200 @ 100k miles,
ran for 9 months , sold for £950(only issue . dripping radiator(=age) -changed as a precaution..)
CHEAP motoring(y)

buy with your EYES open..!!;)

Last edited:
Because there are so many Punto's with low mileage (under 80k) I'd generally try to stick with one of them, but, and it's a massive BUT, the 8v 1.2 will go to 150,000 miles pretty happily, probably needing a head gasket and not a lot else, so overall the Punto is a car to buy based on condition, not just mileage. I've seen a couple with over 200k on them - the engine was fine, but the rest of the car was knackered!

I'd personally go for a slightly older one with a few more miles which has got evidence of annual services/oil changes, only one or two owners & tidy bodywork in preference to a newer one with lower miles which has been passed round 4 or more owners.

A bit like the Punto Sporting with the father & Son owner in Brighton which one of the guys posted a link to in your other thread - it's been in the same family from new in 2003, been driven pretty much the same from new, and if it was a bad car they'd have got rid ages ago. Something with multiple owners always makes me think 'has everyone got rid because it was always going wrong?'.

You either get a brilliant Punto or an absolute pig - I've always bought one owner ones (a Mk1 and a Mk2) and they were both a dream. The Mk2 only needed an £80 aircon pipe replacing other than standard maintenance (brakes, services) in 4.5 years & 60,000 miles. If I'd gone for a 3 or 4 owner car I *might* have been lucky, but it always feels quite risky, so I'd always always say to find a tidy one or two owner Punto, and look at the mileage secondary :)

My old MK2B 8v was my mums old car, she gave it to me at 8 years old (54 reg) it has 29K miles, I got 2 years and 20K miles with barely any repairs other than brakes, exhaust and cambelt (due to age) then I managed get £800 despise its current problems, just check for oil leaks and rust other than that, a very solid car.

FIRE engine is capable of 300k miles easily, its just if the rest of the car survives that long (y)

Yup.

People get far too hung up on mileage numbers.

You can have a car that has been serviced properly that has lived its life on A-roads and the motorway that will do 3 or 400k easy and you can have a neglected one that has lived in town doing nothing but short journeys that will die at 40k.

The 8v's are tough engines, they generally outlive the rest of the car if regularly serviced.

Back