General How do you start your car?

Currently reading:
General How do you start your car?

The diagnostic system has to be readable by all, for the powertrain. The rest of the vehicle can be manufacturer specific. Fiat especially seems to talk an alien language for most diagnostic systems, so unless the garage has Fiat specific software, they may not see stored faults for non-engine systems.
Lots of us on here use an aftermarket diagnosis system designed for Fiat Group vehicles, called MultiECUscan (MES). There is a thread specifically to show those with the software ready to help others. https://www.fiatforum.com/directory/categories/multiecuscan-register.4/
Knowing where you are might help. This is why the forum has a location option.
Ideally, the car needs its codes read, to identify any that might be stored and applicable. A Fiat dealer will charge an hour labour to do this, forum members tend to charge by the mug of tea.
Thanks.
I'm Barnsley South Yorkshire so I'll have to see if there's.anyone near me and also if I feel.safe getting it there, currently just doing the small journeys. With it showing a fault somewhere and tending to cause larger issues, its knocked my trust in it, don't want it going into limp mode and me being miles from home.

Thanks.
I'm Barnsley South Yorkshire so I'll have to see if there's.anyone near me and also if I feel.safe getting it there, currently just doing the small journeys. With it showing a fault somewhere and tending to cause larger issues, its knocked my trust in it, don't want it going into limp mode and me being miles from home.
Doing serial short journeys in a diesel may cause issues of its own with your DPF not doing a regen. Am not trying to be a doom monger :confused:

Just bumping this back up.
I'm now back there with reccuring faults and the triangle is still showing.

They're still peddling the line that I have to do a two step start and not start in one motion.

Can anyone advise how I can get them to accept its not needed? Is there any documentation? I've asked a Fiat Garage and they say its rubbish but if I can show something in writing from a handbook or something then it might make them realise

Thanks

I've just re-read the thread to catch up- it's had a new battery and glow plugs in the time between my posts.
There's also no battery or glow plug lights showing on the dash and it happens in all temperatures.

They're still peddling the line that I have to do a two step start and not start in one motion.

Can anyone advise how I can get them to accept its not needed? Is there any documentation? I've asked a Fiat Garage and they say its rubbish but if I can show something in writing from a handbook or something then it might make them realise

Thanks
You've been advised, with the expertise and experience on here, that it is beneficial. You seem to be getting issues, because you don't (won't) take a second or two longer. Cause and effect right there?
I've just re-read the thread to catch up- it's had a new battery and glow plugs in the time between my posts.
There's also no battery or glow plug lights showing on the dash and it happens in all temperatures.
Modern glow plugs heat up almost instantly, but they do still need that time. Diesel fuel requires heat to combust, as there's no spark ignition. Trying to start before the glow plugs have done their bit will always cause issues.

Have you read the handbook and what it says with respect to "starting a diesel engine"?

Modern 'keyless' such as my Mini Countryman will pause for a second or two when starting to allow the glow plugs to heat. This is the equivelant of the computers in the car waiting for the glow plug light to go off. Same with my golf which while it has a turn key start the car will still wait for the glow plug light to go off before the starter will start the car however you only have to turn the key and let go the car takes cares of the start up.

Fiat are/where not that advanced back when your car was made. My Punto Diesel, you had to wait for the glowplug light to go off before starting, and that's just how diesel cars work.

If you are regularly ignoring the glow plug light, then the car will have to start from the heat created by compression and not from the glow plugs, this results in the car turning over several times before starting, pushing fuel into the piston rings and throught to the oil and out the exhaust that would otherwise have been burnt if started properly. Fuel in the exhaust can damage the O2 sensor. Fuel in the oil will trigger the oil quality sensor to thinking there is a problem.

You're literally arguing against everyone at this point, to find a way to carry on doing the wrong thing purely because you won't believe your way is wrong.

Funnily enough my Citreon Nemo 1.4 diesel van (Fiat Fiornio variant) was in the garage yesterday having number 1 glow plug replaced.

I always start with a two stage ignition process ie wait until the glow led goes out before starting the engine.

I've had diesel vans for a long time though.

My van was flashing up the glow pug led (flashing) and a message to check the glow plugs.

I did ask the garage to replace all four as they're all the same age but he told me two of them are a nightmare to change as they're under the turbo.

A wee pause with ignition on to let the glow plugs get glowing is never a bad thing with a diesel. Many modern diesels actually start the sequence when you open the driver's door, before you've even put the key in the ignition switch. If ever I needed a reminder it was for the first few weeks after we bought our old Cordoba 1.9tdi back in 1999. Mrs J just couldn't get her head round that you had to wait, with the ignition on, until the wee red light went out on the dashboard before operating the starter. She would climb in and merrily crank away with small puffs of white smoke puttering out the end of the exhaust for a minute or two before the engine would catch and envelope the back of the car, and anyone walking by on the pavement, in a great big cloud of evil smelling white exhaust! If you just paused 'till the light went out she would fire up almost immediately with virtually no smoke at all.

A wee pause with ignition on to let the glow plugs get glowing is never a bad thing with a diesel. Many modern diesels actually start the sequence when you open the driver's door, before you've even put the key in the ignition switch. If ever I needed a reminder it was for the first few weeks after we bought our old Cordoba 1.9tdi back in 1999. Mrs J just couldn't get her head round that you had to wait, with the ignition on, until the wee red light went out on the dashboard before operating the starter. She would climb in and merrily crank away with small puffs of white smoke puttering out the end of the exhaust for a minute or two before the engine would catch and envelope the back of the car, and anyone walking by on the pavement, in a great big cloud of evil smelling white exhaust! If you just paused 'till the light went out she would fire up almost immediately with virtually no smoke at all.

My mechanic, proper old school BTW, told me last week how to start the van with a dodgy glow plug, I had to turn on the ignition first stage wait ten seconds and turn it off turn it then on again wait ten seconds then start the engine, he said once the other plugs had warmed up then I could run the van all day afterwards, seemed to work I was able to use it until yesterday when it went in to be repaired.

My mechanic, proper old school BTW, told me last week how to start the van with a dodgy glow plug, I had to turn on the ignition first stage wait ten seconds and turn it off turn it then on again wait ten seconds then start the engine, he said once the other plugs had warmed up then I could run the van all day afterwards, seemed to work I was able to use it until yesterday when it went in to be repaired.
I can see that working as any existing working plugs will have been glowing nicely "cherry red" by doing this.

I can see that working as any existing working plugs will have been glowing nicely "cherry red" by doing this.

The van is nearly ten year old and has only done 55,000 miles I did ask them to replace all of the glow plugs but they adopt an if it ain’t broke philosophy plus I think they’re busy all of the time so easier money to be made which I totally get.

They’re actually good guys there’s only the two of them but the owner is almost near or has reached retirement age now it’s a big MOT station and well equipped but the younger guy I suspect doesn’t have the cash to buy the older guy out.

Thanks
Sounds to me like you’ve got 2 options really

1. Keep starting the car the same way you have been and put up with the annoying triangle

2. Take the advice of numerous knowledgeable people on this forum and get into the habit of giving the glow plugs a few seconds to do there job and drive away with a clear dashboard

Surely it’s easier to get into the habit of giving the car a few more seconds when starting? Even if the garage did admit it shouldn’t need preheating how are they going to solve the problem?

Back