Technical How are the door mirrors fitted?

Currently reading:
Technical How are the door mirrors fitted?

smart51

Established member
More questions, sorry. I've taken off the door card expecting to find a hole to access the door mirror fitting. There isn't one. It looks like a previous owner drilled through the inner door and bolted into aftermarket mirrors. My new mirrors have a threaded stud and a nut. How on earth do I get to that?

20230621_151727.jpg

I can tell you that even if you remove the window winder mechanism, that you need the hands of a small lady or child to get them up inside the door!

As luck would have it, I am a small framed man myself, and could mostly get my hand inside the door with the window mechanism out, but I still struggled and resorted to nuts taped into the end of ratcheting spanners and of drilling an access hole under the area that would be covered by the door card in order to fit new mirrors to my car.

Make sure that any after market mirrors you might wish to fit have enough rise in them. Mine sit too low in the door to really be of use.

I would recommend the clamp on type that just grip the frame, much less hassle! Haha.

I can tell you that even if you remove the window winder mechanism, that you need the hands of a small lady or child to get them up inside the door!

As luck would have it, I am a small framed man myself, and could mostly get my hand inside the door with the window mechanism out, but I still struggled and resorted to nuts taped into the end of ratcheting spanners and of drilling an access hole under the area that would be covered by the door card in order to fit new mirrors to my car.

Make sure that any after market mirrors you might wish to fit have enough rise in them. Mine sit too low in the door to really be of use.

I would recommend the clamp on type that just grip the frame, much less hassle! Haha.
Having loosened one of the mechanisms, I've come to the same conclusion. I'd need fingers about 5cm longer. Masking tape and a ratchet spanner might do me though.

Does look like it has "lived a life" as they say on Bangers and Cash;).
How about making up a plate with suitable threaded holes to match you new mirrors fixings, just big enough to stiffen the mounting point but small enough to get into place, but with a tag on it that you can hold it up in place from the inside until the new mounting screws catch? It may need a little sealant to keep the weather out. Not ideal but saves the mirror from wobbling all over the place.
Bet you thought it would be a 5 minute job to fit new mirrors.:(

I seem to recall in the 1960s only one mirror was required, often just the interior one for Mots, but some had a drivers door mirror often bolted to the window channel. Even in the 70s it was a fairly basic test, with a Trade price of 50 pence.:)

I'm now considering a Frankenmirror, using the existing base that matches the doors, with a new stalk and mirror. The base has an M4 screw hole which faces backwards. Do any of you know of a mirror with an M4 end that would screw on? I'm willing to make a boss to fit between them.

20230623_154302.jpg

So I had a bright idea. Remove the tinwork round the existing mirror and bend it so the field of view contains more than sky. Half of the mirror will still be out of view, but it isxa beat solution.

Success, but then I dropped the glass when refitting one of them. This is the passenger's side. Neatly, the crack is just outside the field of view from the driver's seat. I wonder if somewhere will cut a replacement glass?

20230624_172558.jpg

I've ordered a pair of acrylic mirrors to replace the glass. £2.50 each as opposed to £80 I've been quoted for glass.

Back