General HGT is it an Abarth?

Currently reading:
General HGT is it an Abarth?

mastermick70

I have just purchased a hgt and told it is an abarth, it has all the bumpers, side skirts, gear knob etc but is it possible to identify if it is a replica or genuine.
I know that alot of people have said it doesn't state it on the log book

Back in Circa 2001 The HGT was a model, and if you paid a bit more you got some Abarth badges, different seats bumpers and wheels. Also the Abarth cars had a two tone blue and black leather steering wheel.

Other than some bolt on parts the Abarth was just a punto HGT with badges. This was before they revived the Abarth brand for the 500 and grande punto in the late 2000s which was when Abarth had their own factory and would build their own cars.

The 2001 "Abarth" is a bit like a modern R line or AMG line. It has the badge but its not really a AMG, or in this case an Abarth.

There isn't a definate way to tell unless fiat can tell you from the chassis number what it left the factory as. They where all HGT's and so this was what was on the log book, Over the years many of the abarths got crashed and people snapped up the "abarth bits" to put on their standard HGTs.

All HGT's came with skirts, spoiler and such. Without seeing photos it's hard to tell.

IC7f3Fls.jpg

My blue HGT with HGT wheels and skirts.

uwVz2Wbs.jpg

My HGT van with Abarth wheels.

The Abarth rear spoiler comes away from the top of the hatch leaving about an inch gap. Bumpers are single colour, lower to the ground, the front has a more defined front lip/chin spoiler and both come with aluminium mesh instead of plastic inserts.

Another way to tell is the colour, they only came in black & yellow from Fiat. The front bumper was slightly different on the factory ones, I think the two sides are filled instead of open.

As already said it makes no odds to the performance.

Another way to tell is the colour, they only came in black & yellow from Fiat. The front bumper was slightly different on the factory ones, I think the two sides are filled instead of open.

As already said it makes no odds to the performance.

My Abarth bumpers are burgudy/red and I nearly bought a Calypso orange Abarth.

Back