General Help please

Currently reading:
General Help please

Dajwid

I’ve just bought a 2014 1.2 Easy from a lovely lady giving up driving at 86 years old.
Car has done 29,000 miles full history.
It wanders all over the road, over 60 the steering vibrates really bad.
Tyres pressures are now right they were 18-19psi 🤔
I took it to tyrePro and the balanced all 4 wheels and did the tracking.
Still no improvement. At 60mph if I press the clutch, no improvement to the shaking.
It brakes in a straight line.
I’ve jacked it up and no apparent play in any of the wheels.
Where do I start ?

Attachments

• IMG_2009.jpeg
    IMG_2009.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 61
Could be the EPS. How charged is the battery? What voltage does the alternator give? Did the EPS warning light lid up on bord? It is a red driving wheel.

If the EPS is alright, the problem is probably caused by worn out wheel bearings. Jack up the car and feel the bearings.

Most likely cause is a rotating component somewhere in the drivetrain being out of balance, or running in worn bearings. Usually it's one of the wheels, but any worn part in the steering/suspension could be responsible. That said, this should have been flagged by whoever did the 4 wheel balance/alignment.

If the EPS is alright

Pulling to one side, or not centering properly, certainly, but I doubt this would cause a wobble. You can check by temporarily pulling the EPS fuse to disable it.

Swap the wheels front to back and see what happens

This is a good way to check that whoever balanced the wheels hasn't made an error. It could also be that one of the balance weights has subsequently fallen off. Judging by the number I see at the roadside, this happens more often than you might think.

Another possibility, though not common, is a damaged or out of balance driveshaft.

Last edited:
I’ve just bought a 2014 1.2 Easy from a lovely lady giving up driving at 86 years old.
Still no improvement. At 60mph if I press the clutch, no improvement to the shaking.
Where do I start ?

At the age and miles..

Its probably factory fit tyres..

Ive just changed mine 63plate and 35k

I ran mine at 37 psi

IF its had sub 20psi for long periods..it could well be deformed

As suggested..swap front to back..

Does it have a 5th wheel?

At the age and miles..

Its probably factory fit tyres..

...it could well be deformed

Good suggestion. I once had one where a significant part of the tread delaminated on the motorway and the wobble was so pronounced that the car was barely even controllable. But I'd have expected the alignment centre to have picked this up.

My Abarth had 2016 Pirelli zero nero's on the back. When it was time to change from winters to summertyres I decided to mount them on the frontaxle so the new Vredestein Ultracs could go on there. The car was almost impossible to handle. Only after new tyres were on everything went normal again.
So old tyres can act up.

gr J

Where do I start ?
So after having the wheels rebalanced’ they were all spot on’ tracking checked.
My mechanic said it’s the OS Drive shaft.
The part is ordered. I’m having both sides done at the same time.
I’ll also have the timing belt and water pump done at the same time as it’s never been done and is 9 years old. Better safe than sorry.
Now I’ll wait and see how it is

Back