General Help Please with 2015 Fiat Panda 4x4 TA Hatchback Door Problem

Currently reading:
General Help Please with 2015 Fiat Panda 4x4 TA Hatchback Door Problem

muddy panda

Hello guys,

I've had my current 65 reg 4x4 for nearly 2 years of mostly trouble-free motoring. Last week "out of the blue" when I unlock the car - the hatchback door won't open - I have to use the specific button for this on the fob to open it. However, all 4 doors & the hatchback door will lock using the "lock" button on the fob. I have read the manual & I can't find anything there & wondered if anyone else has encountered the same issue. My initial thoughts are that I have accidentally set a child lock but despite multiple button pushing I haven't been able to clear it. I would appreciate any ideas as I can see this becoming a "real pain" during the colder months when I'm trying to get something out of the boot space in a hurry. Thanks

The previous model Panda did this a lot - I thought with the current model the problem was cured, but maybe not. There’s a small switch in the handle for the boot which may have stopped working - on the pre-2012 cars this was because of dirt and corrosion in the works. It’s not a child lock or similar… but may require a new switch (which sadly is part of the whole handle)

This guide for the older model shows the issue and fix for that car - yours probably similar. https://www.fiatforum.com/guides/how-to-remove-and-replace-electric-tailgate-handle.771/

Hello guys,

I've had my current 65 reg 4x4 for nearly 2 years of mostly trouble-free motoring. Last week "out of the blue" when I unlock the car - the hatchback door won't open - I have to use the specific button for this on the fob to open it. However, all 4 doors & the hatchback door will lock using the "lock" button on the fob. I have read the manual & I can't find anything there & wondered if anyone else has encountered the same issue. My initial thoughts are that I have accidentally set a child lock but despite multiple button pushing I haven't been able to clear it. I would appreciate any ideas as I can see this becoming a "real pain" during the colder months when I'm trying to get something out of the boot space in a hurry. Thanks

The pressure switch in the handle is probably the culprit..
Our 2013 has fits and starts like this.. 🤔

The key pops the latch reliably... So it Must be the manual handle at fault 😉

Removal of the lock and thorough cleaning of the hinge lugs and sockers cured our 169. The tiny amount of road grit causing the issue was staggering. Its probably worth following this route as it might work for you too. Our problem was arpund 3 years ago now. About two hours in total and jsy pliers and a 10mm spanned needed. My problem was the dirt was preventing thehandle and hence switch from returning. We are talking of 12thou difference causing the problem.

Last edited:
Worth adding that regularly pointing the jet of a hose (not a pressure washer, that's too powerful) up above the number plate and around the top of that handle/numberplate light unit so as to dislodge dirt that gets in behind it seems to be a wise precaution that likely helps prevent this issue. (and at the same time, hoisin out around the suspension, spring cup, wheel arches and so on...)

Worth adding that regularly pointing the jet of a hose (not a pressure washer, that's too powerful) up above the number plate and around the top of that handle/numberplate light unit so as to dislodge dirt that gets in behind it seems to be a wise precaution that likely helps prevent this issue. (and at the same time, hoisin out around the suspension, spring cup, wheel arches and so on...)
Thanks very much for all the replies/solutions - will report back with the outcome in a few weeks as my service/M.O.T is due soon.

Hello, I left it a month before posting but after taking the above advice & pointing a hose up above the number plate & around the top of the handle, I can now open the rear door with the handle again. It's worth noting that it fixed itself about a week after I washed the car. I have no idea how but I'm happy that "Herts Hillhopper's" suggestion worked.....for now anyway!

Hello, I left it a month before posting but after taking the above advice & pointing a hose up above the number plate & around the top of the handle, I can now open the rear door with the handle again. It's worth noting that it fixed itself about a week after I washed the car. I have no idea how but I'm happy that "Herts Hillhopper's" suggestion worked.....for now anyway!
Fiat redesigned the handle and switch for the 2012-onwards Panda, which means it is less susceptible to failing than the previous model was. However, like so many things on any car, washing dirt out from underneath and inside things (eg inside the wheel arches , suspension bits, subframes, door handles and brakes) is often more useful than washing the paintwork :)

Pete

Back