Technical Dead Please Help

Currently reading:
Technical Dead Please Help

badbackbilly

Hi all

Our Fiat Panda 2014 plate Automatic suddenly wouldn't start, here's what happened.

We'd gone out about 30mile and parked up for a cupper, on returning to the can about an hour later I put the key in all the normal lights came up went to start it but there was nothing, no crank nor any other noises, this happened for about 6 attempts then suddenly it started and drove fine home. We then turned it off and the same thing happened again but this time wouldn't start, we tried both keys and had the same issue, stop start is turned off as I hate the thing, no other items were turned on or in use.

I took the battery out which was reading 12.8 volts and charged it on a trickle charge over night, I put the battery back on today and started without any issues, the alternator is charging at 14.1 volt. We are going away on Friday so need this sorted, so looking to all you Fiat people for your experience in this matter.

Thank you all for your help with is in advance

Billy

Is there some sort of interlock with the 'gear selector' -- ie has it not fully gone into neutral, for example, which prevents the starter from turning? Given that your battery showed 12.8V, it's not likely to have been that (12.8v shows that to have been fully charged). I don't know much about the auto system, other than it does have tendencies to misbehave :). (The process of removing and replacing the battery may have been enough to shake/move something in the gear selector system, perhaps. Or reset the electronics?) I believe the brake pedal has to be pressed to start the car if not in neutral - so could also be the brake light switch?

Last edited:
Another possibility is the built-in immobiliser didn't recognise the keys. If that were the case, the yellow light showing a padlock will have stayed on
This one...
1682868229940.png

(normally it comes on briefly when you turn the key to the first setting but should go off either when you turn to the 'starter' position, or if you wait a second or two.) Again, disconnecting and reconnecting the battery may have reset this to work correctly again.

Hi

Thank you all, I know the auto box on these are notorious for hissy fits. Herts Hillhopper may be on the right track there about the gearbox so thank you. There are no warning lights staying on, I don't even think this 2014 Panda has that symbol as there's nothing in the hand manual that comes with the car.

I have noticed today though that the gearbox oil should have been changed at 30,000 miles, so before I got the car. I can't see how this can cause this issue though. Thanks again

Hi

Thank you all, I know the auto box on these are notorious for hissy fits. Herts Hillhopper may be on the right track there about the gearbox so thank you. There are no warning lights staying on, I don't even think this 2014 Panda has that symbol as there's nothing in the hand manual that comes with the car.

I have noticed today though that the gearbox oil should have been changed at 30,000 miles, so before I got the car. I can't see how this can cause this issue though. Thanks again
It’s not the oil in the gearbox that needs changing, but the hydraulic fluid in the Dualogic ‘robot’ unit that does the gear changing… so I guess if low or no longer in spec it could mean the unit doesn’t function properly?

Well yesterday morning I went to my local garage I use, he scanned the car and found an error code U0426-68 an Immobilizer code, but I still don't know how to fix it, any ideas on this would be grateful. I am going to order the software he used to find this error as mine didn't pick it up sadly.

Thank you all in advance

I suspect you have fixed it by dis- and re-connecting the battery. Otherwise, it needs a Fiat dealer to reprogram the link with the keys, but I don’t think you’ll need that.

Software: owing to the various Fiat-specific codes and messages, only Multi ECU Scan and the modified connection leads it uses will give you a fuller picture of any error codes. But (as I’ve mentioned in a few posts recently) note that any error codes are only really ‘best guesses’ at where a fault lies, and are often ‘wrong’ if the car battery is in poor health.

Last edited:
That's what I thought but the fiat dealer here wasn't a bit interested at all, he wanted to sell me a new key at £300, so I'm going to order the key programmer and diagnostic kit.

Yes I saw that, but I'm thinking in advance now, and the kit doesn't just do the fiat cars, so will be a good investment in the end.
Are you sure the "kit" gives access to the Body Control Module (BCM) to allow the car to recognise any new fob? (Just asking, I'm sure you've done the research)

I had this issue, a few years ago, there are two OEM BCM suppliers so you have to do a deep dive into the footwell to identify which you have.

Are you sure the "kit" gives access to the Body Control Module (BCM) to allow the car to recognise any new fob? (Just asking, I'm sure you've done the research)

I had this issue, a few years ago, there are two OEM BCM suppliers so you have to do a deep dive into the footwell to identify which you have.
Thank you for the information, I will need to double check and make sure, the garage said the xtool does the BCM, not looked at much in the way of key programming to be honest. Do you have any knowledge as to which way to go? Thanks again

Thank you for the information, I will need to double check and make sure, the garage said the xtool does the BCM, not looked at much in the way of key programming to be honest. Do you have any knowledge as to which way to go? Thanks again
Hi on re-reading I may have misunderstood, and realise that you are perhaps just talking about the getting the full multiECU scan kit? Nonetheless I think my question stands!

Specific to keys and fobs; my '63 plate 4x4 TA only came with a single fob and a "dumb" key. I think my scenario was that the fob was mislaid so I looked at getting a replacement (two) and was met by the same costs (x2).

Here's where the story began https://www.fiatforum.com/threads/water-logged-remote-key.454504/post-4298117 (great search engine on here!)

See posts 11 and importantly 15.

I have tried and failed to find a new style remote key for my Panda. I tried to reuse one from my Bravo but it is different and not compatible. I ordered one from an Italian supplier which turned out to be a scam. Im hoping I may be able to buy one in Italy at the end of the month. If so I will report.
I no longer trust battery voltage as an indicator or good health after two failed batteries noth showing similr voltage. Try and find a swap battery that you know is good,

I have tried and failed to find a new style remote key for my Panda. I tried to reuse one from my Bravo but it is different and not compatible. I ordered one from an Italian supplier which turned out to be a scam. Im hoping I may be able to buy one in Italy at the end of the month. If so I will report.
I no longer trust battery voltage as an indicator or good health after two failed batteries noth showing similr voltage. Try and find a swap battery that you know is good,
Have a look at the post referenced in my reply above. New fobs are available but that is just the beginning of the journey :rolleyes:

Back